Gypsy Day

More
14 years 11 months ago #18363 by drifter
Gypsy Day was created by drifter
I haven't seen too many trucks and herds on the road this year... maybe they are all waiting for tomorrow.

Say g'day if you have new neighbours it can be sooo lonely moving to a new area in the middle of winter...

Strange how much you've got to know, Before you know how little you know.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 11 months ago #272374 by kathken
Replied by kathken on topic Gypsy Day
love those gypsy fairs, we went to one in whangamata over christmas. they did the rounds of all the beaces etc around the coromandel.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Reluctant Suburbanite Now

More
14 years 11 months ago #272378 by kalnetta
Replied by kalnetta on topic Gypsy Day
Its been a happening thing for the last couple of weeks up here cattle trucks every where.

View Hill Oxford ,23 ewes 2 lambs ,1 ram,, 1cat,the 2 of us,6 granddaughters,one grandson,2 surrogate granddaughters and one step grandson,poor boy.

More
14 years 11 months ago #272383 by kathken
oh - have i got the wrong end of the stick?? hehe
i thought you were talking about gypsy trucks, and gypsy fairs.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

More
14 years 11 months ago #272386 by RaeM
Replied by RaeM on topic Gypsy Day
Maybe the fact that the desert road is blocked also a lot of the south island roads, so I would think a few nice days and clear roads will help.

RaeM

More
14 years 11 months ago #272387 by drifter
Replied by drifter on topic Gypsy Day
kathken, on June 1st dairy farmers/share milkers/farm workers etc move farms. Well not all of them of course[;)]
So in dairying areas you see lots of trucks moving them around. As you can imagine, it can be a huge undertaking shifting cows, tractors and implements, as well as the the household.
Sometimes you see the herd walking to their new farm, although that doesn't happen as often these days because there is just too much traffic on the roads.

More
14 years 11 months ago #272388 by ronnie
Replied by ronnie on topic Gypsy Day
Yes Kathken, 1st June is called Gypsy Day as it is when the new season starts for dairy farmers and all the workers/sharemilkers etc change jobs/farms for the upcoming new season. They pack up their house and all their cows and move on to the new farm. Some move great distances, some even change islands, and some only move around the district.

As for the other Gypsies, I was very disappointed the last time we went to their fair. I had visions of buying a house truck and joining them with our slippers at one stage. But the last one we went to, most of the products they were selling were cheap imports from India/Fiji/China etc. Only one guy was hand making his wrought iron products. So, not impressed.

More
14 years 11 months ago #272390 by drifter
Replied by drifter on topic Gypsy Day
Me too Jan, I went expecting all sorts of cool hand-made stuff and only saw imported junk[:(!][}:)]

More
14 years 11 months ago #272395 by kathken
LOL. well you learn something every day ay.....i never knew that.

As for the gypsy fairs, the one we went to in Whangamata at Christmas was excellent and was full of hand made stuff, all sorts of things, i bought lots.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

More
14 years 11 months ago #272413 by reggit
Replied by reggit on topic Gypsy Day
Seen a few more processions of stock trucks that usual, operating in tandem. Media reports earlier in the week were predicting less herds moving than usual as many sharemilkers were staying put...

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

More
14 years 11 months ago #272415 by The Kats Place
Replied by The Kats Place on topic Gypsy Day
I saw one herd getting moved out our way on friday. Tends to be owners with the herds who employ a worker rather that a share milker out this way.

kats
Live your life in such a way that it will be easy for people to say nice things at your funeral [;)]

More
14 years 11 months ago #272417 by The Kats Place
Replied by The Kats Place on topic Gypsy Day
Wish my neighbour was moving but doesn't appear so:(, I was the old neighbour back :(

kats
Live your life in such a way that it will be easy for people to say nice things at your funeral [;)]

More
14 years 11 months ago #272418 by eelcat
Replied by eelcat on topic Gypsy Day
Ah that explains a few things then. There were several really large herds moved a couple of days ago - makes sense now.

1 Border collie, 1 Huntaway, 2 Lhasa Apsos, Suffolk and arapawa ewe crosses, an Arapawa ram,an East Friesian ewe , 5 cats, 42 ducks , 1 rooster and 30 hens, 5 geese, 12 goats, 2 donkeys, 2 house cows, one heifer calf, one bull calf, 3 rabbits and lots and lots and lots of fruit trees...

More
14 years 11 months ago #272420 by reggit
Replied by reggit on topic Gypsy Day
When I first moved to the Waikato I was living in the country, and many of the herds were moved along the road on foot rather than by trucks, you'd find a line across your gate to stop the cows coming in, and had to be careful driving along in case there was someone ahead signalling there was a herd on the move :D

Doesn't seem so common now, or perhaps people move between farms that are further away?

I remember one neighbour telling me about driving his tractor all the way from Reparoa to Te Aroha when he moved from one farm to another! [:0]

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

More
14 years 11 months ago #272426 by 4MyStandys
Replied by 4MyStandys on topic Gypsy Day
They started moving round here last week, quite a few herds moseying down the road. It's good to see actually, means another year's on the move ;-) Practically xmas :-)

Time to create page: 0.142 seconds