Thinking of rehoming my boar and sow

More
10 years 11 months ago #34985 by Clods
The ground has turned soft again, and they are wrecking the fences. I have got corrogated iron to go round the bottom, but haven't had time yet to install it. The mud is an issue again as well.

Sow is 3 year old Large Black pig, but she is a "throw back" being spotty, not totally black. So not suitable for a breeding programme for large blacks, but still fine for having piglets.

Boar is 3 1/2 to 4 years old, white with black spots - no particular breed.

They are both friendly tame and come when called. Boar still has tusks, so you just have to be aware of that.

They have had two successful litters together of 10 piglets each time. She could possibly be pregnant again, as the boar got under the fence to her last night. I separated them straight away this morning, but it doesn't take long!

I don't really want to let them go, as they are so friendly and happy pigs. The boar trotted down the road following me to the neighbours house as he stayed there when we went on holiday, then happily followed me home again when we returned.

They are just causing arguments, and some stress, at trying to do the right thing by them.

2 horses, 15 Chickens, 1 goat, 2 pigs, 1 cat

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 11 months ago #459667 by igor
It is a shame you are so far away. It would be nice to get some friendly pigs that are not related to the ones we have to deepen the gene pool.
Our pigs are starting to turn the ground to mud again too. That is what they do in the wet season. I'd keep them indoors through the Winter if I could but we don't have enough sheds.
We keep our pigs behind an electric fence. They learn very quickly to respect it. So much so that if I take it down they are still reluctant to go through where they know it should be.
Good luck in finding a solution.

More
10 years 11 months ago #459668 by Clods
They are behind an electric fence, but because the ground has softened, one of the houses keeps getting pushed against the fence, and so the electric no longer works. Then they go round and pull out all the tape and posts...

More
10 years 11 months ago #459670 by igor
It seems that they are becoming a bit too clever for their own good. Could you move their house into the middle so they can't push it against the fence?

More
10 years 11 months ago #459672 by Clods
Yes, I have been waiting for some help to do it, I can't move it on my own.

I couldn't believe it when I visited my brother-in-law in Scotland, and his two pigs stayed behind 2 strands of electric and nothing else!

Time to create page: 0.109 seconds