Pyrethrum Collars - barking dog

More
11 years 2 hours ago #34931 by Juanita
Sadly I'm relocating from my gorgeous 12 acre block to a 457 sqm block in the city [:0] which also includes my two dogs - 1 being a yappy Pomeranian.

I'd really like to be friends with my neighbours so my vet has suggested a pyrethrum collar - anyone able to provide any feedback on their experience with one?

Debarking her (or any dog) is not an option!

Juanita

2 daughters - Amy & Megan, 2 loving and devoted surrogate grandparents, Schist (Lab/Springer Spaniel X), Bella (pomeranian) 2 cats Holly & Ginge, Mocha & Cocoa (Murray Greys), Hercules, looking for English Leicester ram to take care of a harem of 9 English Leicester ewes.....plus 3 ewe lambs for 2014 [:0]

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 11 months ago #459204 by Hawkspur
I know someone whose dog barking while they were out meant the council required some sort of control, and they used a citronella collar which is probably similar to what you are considering. It malfunctioned very quickly and left a very smelly dog.
What triggers the barking? Is it strangers/visitors/fear/boredom...?

More
10 years 11 months ago #459210 by muri
and I wonder what all these smells are to do with barking, what is the connection?
small dogs do tend to be yappy and worse in the city than the country as there are many more noises to bark at

More
10 years 11 months ago #459215 by tonic
I think it is the same theory as a shock collar, when the dog barks a strong scent is released, which is upsetting to their sensitive noses.

I have no experience I can add sorry but sympathise with your situation, it is good that you are thinking ahead. I had success reducing barking in my previous dog using Jan Fennell's method. We got to the point where he would bark outside at someone going past, I could call to him from where ever I was and seconds later I would here him lay back down on his bed at the door. I never wanted him to not bark, just to stop once I had heard him.

More
10 years 11 months ago #459230 by llvonn
I think first thing you should do is figure out why your dog is barking. If you can figure out why you can then work on preventing it.
Often when dogs bark they get a pat or some other reward which then tells them that barking is good.
It took me years to try and find a way to stop my dog barking in the car - once I read Cesar Milans book - it took me 10 minutes.
Figuring out why a dog barks can also identify behavioural problems like separation anxiety. Using a collar in that situation may make the issue worse.
Often dogs will bark because they are bored. In that case - make sure you walk them each day (believe me exercise is one of the best ways of minimising problems). You can also leave toys like kongs with them with peanut butter or other treats. The dog then has to use their intelligence to get the treat and it occupies them for hours.

1 Border Terrier, 5 hens, 5 chicks, an orchard and vege garden. All on 350 square metres.

More
10 years 11 months ago #459291 by blimeyvicki
I agree with the boredom being a big problem. The Kongs are great - we put a mixture of peanut butter and cat biscuits in ours cos she loves the cat food. They do keep her occupied for quite a long time. Over this last long, hot summer I made iceblocks for her every day. Filled an icecream container with water and a couple of meaty bones. They kept her busy (and cool) for several hours at a time!

More
10 years 11 months ago #459296 by Hawkspur
The value of the Kongs does depend on the dog. They only ever occupied our dogs for 5 minutes. They must have dextrous tongues.:rolleyes:

More
10 years 11 months ago #459299 by blimeyvicki

Hawkspur;460777 wrote: The value of the Kongs does depend on the dog. They only ever occupied our dogs for 5 minutes. They must have dextrous tongues.:rolleyes:

What a lucky skill to have! :D :D :D

More
10 years 11 months ago #459354 by spoook
I am not sure a pyrethrum (pyrethrin) collar would be used to stop barking, keep fleas off maybe.[;)]
It would be a citronella collar, this is activated by the bark to release a small puff of citronella which diverts the dog and can be very acrid. Once the dog learns the cause and effect of barking, it can stop them. Does not work on all dogs.

I do agree, the collar will only deal with the result not the cause.

One of our dogs barks EVERY time we drive away, anxiety/ separation problem that we don't seem to be able to break. The other one has learnt to bark so she does not miss out. [:(!]
Now girls have taken to riding horses along our road, that send the dogs mental. [:0]

There are no bad questions only those that are not asked.
"You are responsible, forever, for what you have tamed"

More
10 years 11 months ago #459380 by Kalmara
why isn't debarking an option ?

More
10 years 11 months ago #459414 by Geba
The ingredient is citronella, which dogs don't like. I have had one for my dog for years, as he became hysterical during thunderstorms, and every Guy Fawkes day. It works very well. I was warned when I first bought it that it might take a while before the dog got the idea, but he barked ONCE with it on, got a noseful, and didn't try it again.
He did figure out after a while though that he could get away with very loud whining....! and over the years he has got wise to the fact that it's not always 'loaded' and when this happens, barks himself silly with a daft grin on his face until I fill it up...at which point he slinks off in great chagrin.
These days (he's now 12) if he hears a loud noise he comes straight to me to get the collar on!
YMMV, as all dogs are different - mine is a Australian kelpie, and pretty clever.

Time to create page: 0.136 seconds