Feed and footrot.

• Akzle
11 years 1 week ago #34847 by Akzle
Feed and footrot. was created by Akzle
for goats.
i'm new at keeping them alive, usually i chase them for the opposite reason.

i've read everything on the "goat" page here and done a bit of googling. one thing i found here was to include seaweed in the diet, so i'll get onto that.

three new goats in the paddock with three old ones (who needs quarantine anyway?)

a couple have early stage footrot, at this stage they've been trimmed, they'll be sprayed with copper sulfate for a couple of weeks, and sulfur and epsom salts incorporated into the feed.

anything i'm missing? a bath isn't an option.

secondly: mineral supplements, i'm a big believer that animals knows what's best for them, however being somewhat domicile, they may not be used to having to do it, measuring doses and stuff seems a bit too much like real work, if i chuck buckets of stuff in the paddock, can i trust them to eat only as much as they need? ie if i put a big salt lick in there, are they going to lick themselves dehydrated?

they all seem happy and healthy anyway, just like to give them the best i can...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 1 week ago #458340 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic Feed and footrot.
Would you trust yourself to only eat things that are good for you, and disregard things that taste nice? Don't be silly!!!!
A multimineral salt lick will help, but it has about 1/20th of the proportion of minerals that animals need. The rest has to come from grazing or additives to the grazing. Most of NZ is low in selenium, cobalt and copper for goats, and some areas are low in iron, so as well as using it in salt blocks they also need to be drenched or added to the fertiliser.
No, they will not eat too much salt unless they are also short of water.

• Akzle
11 years 1 week ago #458346 by Akzle
Replied by Akzle on topic Feed and footrot.

LongRidge;459728 wrote: Would you trust yourself to only eat things that are good for you, and disregard things that taste nice? Don't be silly!!!!
A multimineral salt lick will help, but it has about 1/20th of the proportion of minerals that animals need. The rest has to come from grazing or additives to the grazing. Most of NZ is low in selenium, cobalt and copper for goats, and some areas are low in iron, so as well as using it in salt blocks they also need to be drenched or added to the fertiliser.
No, they will not eat too much salt unless they are also short of water.

yes, i do. Thats why im fitter than most non smokers half my age.

Duly considered. Our soil is almost guaranteed not low in iron.
They have graze, mix native, fruit and miscellaneous browse and supplement grain. They do have a go at the chook and pig food, too...
Wil find out mineral content of feed.
They have plenty of watr.

More
11 years 1 week ago #458358 by foufee
Replied by foufee on topic Feed and footrot.
Be careful to avoid salt licks with Urea - it was almost fatal to one of ours, she did munch it to the exclusion of all else.

• Akzle
11 years 1 week ago #458377 by Akzle
yeah... i avoid urea in all forms on account of the ammonia created/wasted in it's production....(that's bad for the planet)

More
11 years 1 week ago #458421 by cowvet
Replied by cowvet on topic Feed and footrot.
urea can be an extremely valuble replacement for protein and can increase the quality of a feed when used correctly

With regard to footrot - start with the basics and get those right...then add on the extras such as feed additives. these will not take the place of bottom line footrot control measures!

I love animals...they're delicious

• Akzle
11 years 1 week ago #458435 by Akzle

cowvet;459820 wrote: urea can be an extremely valuble replacement for protein and can increase the quality of a feed when used correctly

With regard to footrot - start with the basics and get those right...then add on the extras such as feed additives. these will not take the place of bottom line footrot control measures!

that doesn't change the fact that harmful chemicals are produced, and there are better sources of nitrogen at less cost to the planet.

and for the footrot, is there something outside what i've already said, that i should be doing?

More
11 years 1 week ago #458453 by DiDi
Replied by DiDi on topic Feed and footrot.
Akzle - what I have been saying on here for over 11 years is that any foot problems in goats = cull. I worked alongside my ex Vet husband for 28 years and Genetics for many years. That was was our business - genetics.

The correlation between foot problems is just that. If say you have a doe and she limps occasionally on her right front leg, I can guarantee you that her offspring will as well.

If you bring a Buck onto you property and breed from him, one that has a history of foot problems then you are just buying a path to problems.

My advise to you is to cull the ones with what you call footrot (and it may just be scald which is easily treated with Mastitis based tubes that contain an antifungicide (if you can still get it!) - not cheap to use but work) so your choice.

I learnt over many years that just as there are mongrel matings in dogs - the worst genetic combination will come to the fore and that is what you need to think about if you want to keep animals that are a joy to have against those that cost time and money to maintain. Think about that over a few years.

• Akzle
11 years 1 week ago #458481 by Akzle
yeah. not really in a position nor wanting to cull just for toes. appreciate the input, but i'll try remedy before even considering it.

More
11 years 1 week ago #458548 by Jo-Otago
Replied by Jo-Otago on topic Feed and footrot.
Sounds like you are on the right track for feet Akzle, footrot is not something I've really had to deal in goats with but certainly regular trims and copper sulphate soaks should help. It may not be an option but the drier and rockier the paddocks you can put them in, the better. Keeping them regularly trimmed and any icky areas as dry as possible and open to the air will help. Pretty much the same approach as for sheep with foot issues.
I always try to have a salt lick out for all the animals - salt is not something they tend to overdose on. If it's a combined salt/mineral lick that should be OK too, but goats will tend not to get enough minerals just from a mineral lick, they often tend to need more copper in particular. I think there are a few mineral mixes designed for goats available which would save you mixing up your own, the one I have used is one made by Aackland chemicals in Chch which Andrea (from here) put me on to - although some of my girls decided they didn't like the taste. You can either put it out ad-lib for them to help themselves but I usually try to include a daily dose in feeds. Likewise with seaweed meal, I tend to put it in feeds. And apple cider vinegar.
The other thing I sometimes use (also thanks to Andrea) is a liquid called 'Formula Five'. It is only available through vets and contains copper, cobalt, zinc, iodine and selenium (the 5 minerals that tend to be included in mineralised anthelmintic drenches, but without the anthelmintic). It comes as a (very concentrated) 1L bottle that you dilute down when you mix up the doses and will last several lifetimes with only a few goats. Can be orally drenched or added to feed.
Keep an eye on them getting into the pig & chook food - goats can be buggers for eating things they shouldn't and tend to also be quite good at carking it when they do.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

More
11 years 1 week ago #458562 by BRL
Replied by BRL on topic Feed and footrot.
Hi Akzle

I'll organise some Zinc Sulphate Heptahydrate for you (we've got a sack of it that I can bag some off + instructions on how to use it) - you use it in a footbath to treat scald & footrot. Don't think you'll find they've got footrot, might be scald though with the damp over the past couple of days.

Just wanted to remind you that the 3 boys all had Prolaject B1 + Selenium injections last week so be really careful about giving them anything with selenium in it over the next 90 days. They're used to being orally drenched with minerals - we used to give them Vigest with a drenching syringe - you just need to catch them (and they're easy to con with a bucket of feed), plus they've always had a multi-mineral lick in their paddock ...

• Akzle
11 years 1 week ago #458568 by Akzle

BRL;459977 wrote: Hi Akzle

I'll organise some Zinc Sulphate Heptahydrate for you (we've got a sack of it that I can bag some off + instructions on how to use it) - you use it in a footbath to treat scald & footrot. Don't think you'll find they've got footrot, might be scald though with the damp over the past couple of days.

Just wanted to remind you that the 3 boys all had Prolaject B1 + Selenium injections last week so be really careful about giving them anything with selenium in it over the next 90 days. They're used to being orally drenched with minerals - we used to give them Vigest with a drenching syringe - you just need to catch them (and they're easy to con with a bucket of feed), plus they've always had a multi-mineral lick in their paddock ...

thanks for the offer but we'll see how we go, big boy definitely had some skunky toenails and it was going up the hoof. all we've given them in addition to the graze/browse is grain with molasses (and what they thief off chokks/pigs) and we wont be looking to drench any time soon.
will definitely look into the lick this week, but i suspect it is copper lacking, we have sh**te volcanic soil, high in iron and low in everything else.

More
11 years 1 week ago #458576 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic Feed and footrot.
Multimineral salt blocks (Summit) have about 1/20 of a goats requirement for minerals. I give my sheep a drench prior to tupping that has extra iodine in it, but to make the iodine concentrated enough for sheep, I add 50% more!!!! The manufacturers do not want to be sued for making the mineral supplements poisonous, so they tend to make the concentration lower than what is required, so long as the supplement is used to label.
One year I drenched our lambs every 10 days with a mineralised worm drench that had a 10 day withholding period, even though I had added selenium to the fertiliser. I was quite concerned that I would poison the lambs, so I had liver samples tested for copper, cobalt and selenium. Even after all that extra minerals, the liver content for them was "average".

Time to create page: 0.138 seconds