14wk old SLW - Male or Female?

More
11 years 2 months ago #34752 by sonyajh
Silver Laced Wyandotte chicks now 14 wks old.

I'm pretty sure I know what gender they are, but just wnat to double check first ...

Thanks

Attached files [IMG]http://app.lifestyleblock.co.nz/images/converted_files/458614=12128-slw .jpg[/img]

1/4 acre urban lifestyler [:D]

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 2 months ago #457329 by charlotte1
Girl front boy back????

More
11 years 2 months ago #457332 by Stikkibeek
I agree with Charlotte

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
11 years 2 months ago #457345 by Sue
Replied by Sue on topic 14wk old SLW - Male or Female?
Agreed!

Sue
Labrador lover for yonks, breeder of pedigree Murray Grey cattle for almost as long, and passionate poultry person for more years than I care to count.

More
11 years 2 months ago #457355 by sonyajh
Thankyou all - my thoughts are confirmed, he is now available to a good home as I am urban and he's been making a few strange noises - any takers?

1/4 acre urban lifestyler [:D]

More
11 years 2 months ago #457357 by Stikkibeek

sonyajh;458645 wrote: Thankyou all - my thoughts are confirmed, he is now available to a good home as I am urban and he's been making a few strange noises - any takers?

Shame you are not closer. A nice SLW boy like that would go well with my SLW girls!

More
11 years 2 months ago #457500 by oskatd
Stikkibeek do you find your SLW hens go broody? How is their egg production? I have a couple and have found them average, they used to go broody at the drop of a hat, but seem to be getting better as they get older!

More
11 years 2 months ago #457543 by Poultry Valley and Lifestyle
Yep, female front and male in the back ground !
Looks like he might be a nice boy, nice yellow legs, is hard to find a good one with decent size, will have to see how he grows for size, shame you cant keep him [^]

More
11 years 2 months ago #457545 by Stikkibeek
I have had a top producing strain for some time. Somewhere in these pages is reference to one of my girls who was an excellent layer and yes she did go broody from time to time, but I only let her rear one lot of chickens and she was a very good mum.
Of course no heritage breed will lay as well as either shavers or similar hybrids, but that is not really the reason I keep hens. I like to help protect at least some of the the heritage breeds we have in NZ. If we let them die out, or irresponsibly cross breed them with other breeds, then we run a real risk of never having that breed in NZ again. We are not allowed to import new lines, so we need to look after what we have.
I like SLWs as I find them friendly and of course they look really good in a chicken yard due to their beautiful colour.....but then I'm biased. :)

More
11 years 2 months ago #457569 by Poultry Valley and Lifestyle
I find our Silver Laced Wyandotte's are terrible broodies, we also have the same trouble with our Rhode Island Red's [:0]

We also lost our top SLW Rooster and have been finding it very difficult to replace him, all of the Lad's we have bought in and have had shipped up country have been far too small :( and it is costing far too much to keep doing that, only to find out when they get here, they are no good & far too small for us to breed with :(

Time to create page: 0.165 seconds