Injured Kune

More
11 years 1 month ago #454862 by katieb
Replied by katieb on topic Injured Kune
in the neck behind ear is where ive been told is best to give injections

Animals rule our place... cows, calves, sheep, goats, pigs, horses, donkeys, chickens, ducks... the list goes on
...."lifestyle block like" 25 or so acres around the house attached to a rather large farm with dairy drystock & a 600 cow dairy conversion :)....1500 acres to call home

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 1 month ago #454866 by The Kats Place
Replied by The Kats Place on topic Injured Kune
if I have to inject I usually throw and apple into a corner in the yard or barn, have the neddle ready and straight in while hes going for the apple. Feel the fear and do it anyway!

kats
Live your life in such a way that it will be easy for people to say nice things at your funeral [;)]

More
11 years 1 month ago #454867 by The Kats Place
Replied by The Kats Place on topic Injured Kune
Pleased to hear he is improving

kats
Live your life in such a way that it will be easy for people to say nice things at your funeral [;)]

More
11 years 1 month ago #454873 by Mich
Replied by Mich on topic Injured Kune
That's great news, Akupe. Hope Nugget continues to improve and is back to normal as soon as possible. I'm wondering why your vet didn't check him out, though - is she scared of pigs? It seems a bit weird if she just lives down the road, given the serious-sounding symptoms...
Cheers, Mich.

Good exercise for the heart is to bend down and help someone up. Anon.

More
11 years 1 month ago #454876 by Akupe
Replied by Akupe on topic Injured Kune
Yeah ... vet is a bit perplexing. Considering the size of the needle we were suppose to administer.

BUT my wife has just messaged me on facebook as I type this on the train to tell me Nugget has just had a big breakfast :) Sounds like he's doing very well ... phew!

3.8 ha ... 2 homestays ... 19 sheep ... 1 kune kune pig ... 3 cats ... 1 rabbit and a wife and 2 kids under 14 years old. Plus a full time job in Wellington. Phew!!!

More
11 years 1 month ago #454881 by oskatd
Replied by oskatd on topic Injured Kune
You must be very relieved, the thought of giving them a jab alone is a bit scary, think would defer to vet on that one, so well done!

More
11 years 1 month ago #454894 by igor
Replied by igor on topic Injured Kune
I hav found that the most difficult thing with injecting a big pig is getting the needle to go through their thick hide. Getting them to stand still while you do it is not easy either of course.

More
11 years 1 month ago #454913 by granny56r
Replied by granny56r on topic Injured Kune
Lovely news! Has actually made my day. How bad is that?

I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.
DOUGLAS ADAMS

More
11 years 1 month ago #454937 by Akupe

igor;455955 wrote: I hav found that the most difficult thing with injecting a big pig is getting the needle to go through their thick hide. Getting them to stand still while you do it is not easy either of course.

Nugget is a big Kune. Biggest piglet in his litter and would have to be 100kgs. Getting him to stand still is not easy at all!!!

Lovely news! Has actually made my day. How bad is that?

haha it made my day this morning and my day has gone well ever since. [8D]

3.8 ha ... 2 homestays ... 19 sheep ... 1 kune kune pig ... 3 cats ... 1 rabbit and a wife and 2 kids under 14 years old. Plus a full time job in Wellington. Phew!!!

More
11 years 1 month ago #454945 by igor
Replied by igor on topic Injured Kune
First Kune cross boar we killed weighed 65kg gutted and head off. Anyone want to guess liveweight from that? The butcher's boy reckoned he'd have been happy to catch a pig that big in the bush.

More
11 years 1 month ago #454954 by cowvet
Replied by cowvet on topic Injured Kune
Gosh - where i come from person rings clinic and books appointment for vet to visit animal...date and time determined and if it is urgent it gets treated accordingly. Vet visits animal...
When you rang to BOOK an appointment what did they say?

I love animals...they're delicious

More
11 years 1 month ago #454960 by Stu_R
Replied by Stu_R on topic Injured Kune
Vets down your way are cool by the sounds of it CV :) :)

5 retired Greyhounds ( Bridgette , Lilly, GoGo,Sam and now Lenny) 15 friendly sheep all of whom are named and come when you call them :) , 2 goats, Mollie and Eee Bee :
Olive trees , .. old bugger doing the best he can with no money or land :)

More
11 years 1 month ago #454964 by cowvet
Replied by cowvet on topic Injured Kune

Stu_R;456027 wrote: Vets down your way are cool by the sounds of it CV :) :)

oh we are - book an appointment and we are there!

in general terms and not specific to this post
I have become a bit more savvy with experience. Diagnosis over the phone or internet is rubbish...so many times i have seen the animals where the issues have been described over the phone by the owner who i would class as experienced animal people.... and it is often NOTHING like what you understood over the phone. Now when someone rings up to ''chat'' I specifically ask if they want me to see the animal - the onus is then very clearly on them for my diagnosis rather than theirs.

My advice - vets will NOT make a diagnosis over the phone. They may give you some ideas and options but it is by no means a definitive diagnosis. If you want the animal seen you need to book an appointment through the clinic office.

I love animals...they're delicious

More
11 years 1 month ago #455492 by Akupe
It's not worth going there. I guess I should have been insistant on a house call. But nuggets doing fine. Back to 95% ... eating like the eating machine he is. Thanks for all your replies.

More
11 years 1 month ago #455510 by Stu_R
Replied by Stu_R on topic Injured Kune
Glad to hear Nugget is a survivour :) good on ya Nuggett :) :)
Great news guys :)

5 retired Greyhounds ( Bridgette , Lilly, GoGo,Sam and now Lenny) 15 friendly sheep all of whom are named and come when you call them :) , 2 goats, Mollie and Eee Bee :
Olive trees , .. old bugger doing the best he can with no money or land :)

Time to create page: 0.144 seconds