Injured Kune

More
11 years 1 month ago #34521 by Akupe
Injured Kune was created by Akupe
Our beloved kune kune pig Niugget as sustained an unusual injury. On Saturday he was rammed (repeatedly) by our Ram, the third go knocking him off his feet and he seems to have some sort of internal injury. He hasn't eaten or drunk anything since the attack and is coughing up green/brown bile or something. I have spoken to the vet who says he may have a ruptured spleen. He has moved a couple of times but the last 24 hours he has stayed put only rolling on to different sides.

The vet was suppose to leave me some anti inflammatory jabs to administer but seems she forgot.

Dunno if anyone has witnessed this sort of attack before. It seems bizzare ... he always loved his sheep friends :(

3.8 ha ... 2 homestays ... 19 sheep ... 1 kune kune pig ... 3 cats ... 1 rabbit and a wife and 2 kids under 14 years old. Plus a full time job in Wellington. Phew!!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 1 month ago #454711 by Mich
Replied by Mich on topic Injured Kune
Poor wee fella - I've only seen rams going at it hammer and tong, but the force with which they hit each other is huge, so I can imagine what Nugget went through. So do you have the anti-inflam jabs now? I'm assuming the vet hasn't actually seen him, but has she given you a good prognosis after the jabs have been completed? Is she going to check him out?

Let us know how he gets on, Akupe. It's a worry that he hasn't drunk anything.
Cheers, Mich.

Good exercise for the heart is to bend down and help someone up. Anon.

More
11 years 1 month ago #454712 by Stu_R
Replied by Stu_R on topic Injured Kune
:( :( i hope Nugget pulls through ... I was thinking broken ribs myself :( .. um i would have to wonder at your Ram .. ( as all my sheep and the Kunes get on great .. if anything King is Petie pig the 5 year old Kunekune boar ).. i would be watching my bum big time round your ram from now on , as he has flattened and beaten the boar , at a guess , has lost respect for size , so Human next , specially at Tupping time ... and man it hurts when a Ram drops you .. experince here :(

I really hope Nugget pulls through this :) .. as not his fault :( , and be VERY carefull of that ram from now on !!!!!!

5 retired Greyhounds ( Bridgette , Lilly, GoGo,Sam and now Lenny) 15 friendly sheep all of whom are named and come when you call them :) , 2 goats, Mollie and Eee Bee :
Olive trees , .. old bugger doing the best he can with no money or land :)

More
11 years 1 month ago #454721 by Akupe
Replied by Akupe on topic Injured Kune
I am baffled as everyone else by what's happened. The sheep and nuggie are best mates. I've no idea what prompted this. The annoying thing is the RAM is not actually our sheep ... in fact he's not even a Ram kinda. He's a cryptorchid who's testies have dropped back down. I actually have another Ram that runs with my girls during tupping and we are in the process of trying either give the other guy back to it's original owners or putting him in the freezer. The later is looking a heck of a lot more likely.

My wife will have to visit the vet tomorrow as my work commitments prevent me from seeing her ... that's why I asked for the jabs to be left aside for me to pick up.

It's crazy, and it's not like nugget is a small kune. He's a bore, a big bore, well over 100kg.

3.8 ha ... 2 homestays ... 19 sheep ... 1 kune kune pig ... 3 cats ... 1 rabbit and a wife and 2 kids under 14 years old. Plus a full time job in Wellington. Phew!!!

More
11 years 1 month ago #454724 by Stu_R
he sounds totally like Petie Pig :)
I do hope he pulls through .. am still thinking broken ribs :(
Personally i would safe Freezer is safest place for said Crypt .. as have a strange feeling its humans next :(

5 retired Greyhounds ( Bridgette , Lilly, GoGo,Sam and now Lenny) 15 friendly sheep all of whom are named and come when you call them :) , 2 goats, Mollie and Eee Bee :

More
11 years 1 month ago #454753 by Ronney
Replied by Ronney on topic Injured Kune
Akupe, the moral of the story is that you do not leave rams or crypts with other stock and particularly at this time of the year when the testestorone (sp?) is running strong. And your pig was a male! Believe it or not, that is important. If it had been a sow the problem probably wouldn't have arisen. I learnt the hard way too but in my case the ram came off worst because he picked on a 300kg tusker which finally lost his temper and gored the ram so badly he could hardly walk. Both survived[^]

The fact that he is bringing up greeny/brown liquid is a worry as is the not drinking. Get those anti-flams from the vet quick smart and if push comes to shove, be prepared to use a drench gun to get fluids into him - preferably electrolytes which you can make up yourself. I have a recipe if you need it or you can buy them from the vet.

If it is very hot where you are and he is outside, hose him down to keep him cool.

I'm trying to be realistic rather than pessimistic but be prepared to have him put down if whatever ails him doesn't start to come right by the end of the week.

Cheers,
Ronnie

More
11 years 1 month ago #454754 by katieb
Replied by katieb on topic Injured Kune
I would be phoning the vet & meeting her to get them!

I hope he makes it though

Animals rule our place... cows, calves, sheep, goats, pigs, horses, donkeys, chickens, ducks... the list goes on
...."lifestyle block like" 25 or so acres around the house attached to a rather large farm with dairy drystock & a 600 cow dairy conversion :)....1500 acres to call home

More
11 years 1 month ago #454767 by Akupe
Thanks for all the replies. Timing hasn't been good with my wife away on camp with my daughter and me 2nd week into a new job. Have to say the vet hasn't been as 'on to it' as I had hoped ... hell she only lives up the road! I will be asking her to pay us a visit tonight!

And yeah, certainly learning things the hard way :( Nugget is such a tank I'm surprised anything like this could happen but he does have a soft underbelly I spose.

But yes, we are preparing for the worse :( :( :(

More
11 years 1 month ago #454769 by granny56r
Replied by granny56r on topic Injured Kune
So it happened on Saturday? Its now Tuesday....poor blimmen pig.

I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.
DOUGLAS ADAMS

More
11 years 1 month ago #454770 by katieb
Replied by katieb on topic Injured Kune
cant the vet come while you are at work?

at least to see him & get an idea of whats wrong & give him some pain meds... I know you wont be there to help her but im sure that shouldnt matter too much!

poor pig

Animals rule our place... cows, calves, sheep, goats, pigs, horses, donkeys, chickens, ducks... the list goes on
...."lifestyle block like" 25 or so acres around the house attached to a rather large farm with dairy drystock & a 600 cow dairy conversion :)....1500 acres to call home

More
11 years 1 month ago #454776 by igor
Replied by igor on topic Injured Kune
When our ram is not with the ewes he usually shares a paddock with the billy goat and sometimes big cattle. The two boys are much of a size and usually ignore each other.

More
11 years 1 month ago #454789 by The Kats Place
Replied by The Kats Place on topic Injured Kune
has the vet actually seen the pig? If he is suffering and can't be helped, then do the right thing, poor fella

kats
Live your life in such a way that it will be easy for people to say nice things at your funeral [;)]

More
11 years 1 month ago #454847 by Akupe
Well he's up and moving around :) Even giving little honks honks when I talk to him. He has also had a small meal and has spent the last 30 minutes ripping up grass to make a bed.

The vet hasn't seen him but has given us to different injections for him but Nugget doesn't want a bar of a needle ... he moves off when we try to give him the jab so have left it. Will talk to the vet tomorrow.

More
11 years 1 month ago #454851 by Stu_R
Fingers crossed for Nugett :) .. hang in there little guy :)
Eat is a good start :)

More
11 years 1 month ago #454855 by Akupe
For sure. Have just been to see him again and got many honks. Such an improvement.

Time to create page: 0.141 seconds