Natural or Cheap Trough Water Flavouring

More
11 years 3 months ago #34358 by suckerpunchnz
Hi guys,

I've decided to use Zinc in the water to help prevent eczema.
At this stage I haven't bought any flavouring, because it's so expensive, and I only have two cows!

Does anybody have any ideas or experience for sweetening the water without buying the large containers from the likes of RD1?

Thanks!
Phil.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 3 months ago #453172 by kindajojo
If you only have too cows why not mix it up with molasses into 10 litres and feed daily. Only need a couple of tablespoons of molasses mix with some hot water

More
11 years 3 months ago #453176 by muri
I have never used Zinc but I understood you had to start using it well before the facial excema season started, like nearer the beginning of summer as it is long acting rather than short term
Happy to be corrected by someone with greater knowledge and more experience on this one

More
11 years 3 months ago #453207 by Cigar

muri;454046 wrote: I have never used Zinc but I understood you had to start using it well before the facial excema season started, like nearer the beginning of summer as it is long acting rather than short term
Happy to be corrected by someone with greater knowledge and more experience on this one

Yes it is best to start a few weeks before FE becomes an issue, but I don't think now is too late. Actually, its never too late - crisis dosing when counts are already high is better than doing nothing.
At work we start zinc in the water in early Jan at low rates and gradually increase to full rates. When counts get above 30,000 we start drenching 3x per week (and reduce the zinc in the water to avoid overdosing!) to make sure each animal is getting the correct amount of zinc.

For two cows I would try adding zinc oxide daily to some feed. I suspect zinc sulphate would be too unpalatable/corrosive to feed directly.

Time to create page: 0.130 seconds