calling cantabrians

More
11 years 2 months ago #34319 by celt
calling cantabrians was created by celt
hi there folks. Moving to christchurch area as husband has new job in Riccarton. Have fo leave my lovely 16 acres north of auckland. Trying to be positive,new adventure and all that. So few questions for lifestylers in the 30min ish commute to christchurch city area.

what restrictions are there re. keeping animals on small acreage, eg. between 2-5 acres?
how many acres do you need to have to have a woodburner?
how common is it to have bores?
what co-ed high schools are there west of city that you would recommend?
are rentals really as scarce as they say and what are chances of finding one that will allow two dogs?

if no good school options 30 ish mins west of town then I may have to give up the lifestyle block for 5 years until the kids have finished school.

So if in town i would ask same question re. good co-ed schools west christchurch. Kids, boy and girl 13 years.

any advice greatly fully received. Have to move down by beg. May. Dear god just writing that makes me panic. keep calm.

1 kiwi husband, 14 year old boy girl twins. Gave up my beautiful 16 acres north of auckland for 1000m2 in central christchurch! Yikes. Plan to get as much produce out of that 1000m2 as possible.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 2 months ago #452783 by Novice
Replied by Novice on topic calling cantabrians
Hi there. Yes, good rentals are extremely scarce. We are in NW Christchurch. I will PM you.

More
11 years 2 months ago #452789 by kindajojo
Replied by kindajojo on topic calling cantabrians
you would be looking in Selwyn/Rolleston/Lincoln/Prebbleton/Darfield areas's
Burnside is a good high school
Its very dry in that area.
Unless on a water scheme you may need a bore
not sure of the wood burner as CHCH had clean air restriction normally 2.5 acres

PM me if you are selling as I have friends looking for a place in Nth Auckland

More
11 years 2 months ago #452794 by OliverG Chch
Replied by OliverG Chch on topic calling cantabrians
Rangiora has a great high school. You are looking at a 30-40 min commute there depending how far from Rangiora town you are, but I find it an easier drive as the traffic isnt so manic!

More
11 years 2 months ago #452809 by cowvet
Replied by cowvet on topic calling cantabrians

OliverG Chch;453616 wrote: Rangiora has a great high school. You are looking at a 30-40 min commute there depending how far from Rangiora town you are, but I find it an easier drive as the traffic isnt so manic!

surely you have to seriously question that idea with a job in Riccarton?

I love animals...they're delicious

More
11 years 2 months ago #452811 by Trace
Replied by Trace on topic calling cantabrians
Lots of people travel Rangiora to Riccarton... There are a lovely couple on this forum who live not too far from us in North Canterbury and do this commute daily. And travel is all relevant really. Having lived in Auckland where it could take us up to three hours to get from home to the city if the traffic was bad, then the forty minutes from Rangiora to Riccarton is nothing lol.

Celt - four years ago we made the move from Beachlands in Auckland to North Canterbury and it's a move we haven't regretted for a moment. Canterbury offers an amazing lifestyle. I wouldn't get stuck on just looking West of the city unless you have family or something that is drawing you there.

In order of your questions:

Depends on the area and whether it is part of a lifestyle subdivision as some of these have covenants, and other's don't.

Christchurch is split into three different council areas - Waimak to the North, Christchurch in the middle and Selwyn in the south. Each council has different rulings on woodburners, so once you know the area you want to live in, then you would be able to check this out a bit more.

Bores are really common. Generally don't have tank water (as in reliant on rain water only to fill).

Schools are a really personal preferance I've found. You could check out the Christchurch Earthquake thread on the TM forum - you might get a wider perspective on schooling then.

Rentals that allow pets are few and far between especially if you are coming from owning your own house and as such don't have references etc.

All the best on the move.

More
11 years 2 months ago #452819 by celt
Replied by celt on topic calling cantabrians
thanks guys for the all the advice. As I said I am trying to treat it as an adventure but we live in such a beautiful spot it will be very hard to beat. So quiet and private.

Where we live will be based to a large extent on schools unfortunately and commuting distance. I have been told (as has been said what you want in a school can be very personal) that west christchurch schools are very good. don't know much about names of good schools in more rural north west and south west of city.

k

1 kiwi husband, 14 year old boy girl twins. Gave up my beautiful 16 acres north of auckland for 1000m2 in central christchurch! Yikes. Plan to get as much produce out of that 1000m2 as possible.

More
11 years 2 months ago #452838 by Hawkspur
Replied by Hawkspur on topic calling cantabrians
Coming from Auckland to here, don't forget how little rain we get in comparison. Water is very important when rainfall is say 700mm/year.
Wind exposure can be very significant on the plains too.
The soil is very poor in some areas - there are not many areas where it is great.

Privacy can be an issue on small blocks with no established vegetation. I've seen some horrendous rural subdivisions that are just suburbia without the shops and with a commute.[xx(]

I have heard very good things about Lincoln High and Burnside High, but mostly second-hand, so don't know how reliable that info is.

The slow part of any commute to town is the part near or in town. The more town you have to cross, the more frustrated you'll be![;)]

For minimal restrictions on woodburners, you need to be outside the clean air zones of Kaiapoi, Christchurch, Rangiora and Ashburton, and have >2ha. Under 2ha and outside those zones, clean air approved burners are mostly OK, but it is worth checking the details on the Ecan site.

More
11 years 2 months ago #452840 by celt
thanks hawspur.

More
11 years 2 months ago #452842 by Andrea1
Replied by Andrea1 on topic calling cantabrians
I know this may sound daft, but ask on the Trade Me message boards in the Christchurch forum. You will get plenty of candid response, particularly about real estate and schools.

Our daughter is at Hagley College, near Hagley Park, close to Riccarton, loving it and excelling, for her second year. She's a Year 12 student this year, and had been homeschooled through Year 9, then went to Unlimited Paenga Tawhiti (which did NOT work for her).

More
11 years 2 months ago #452869 by celt
andrea that is a great idea re. trade me discussion board. ta. :D

More
11 years 2 months ago #452881 by Mini magic
Replied by Mini magic on topic calling cantabrians
Water is a biggie.... and lots of trees. We are in Greendale and Love it....kinda a drier, flatter version of England, lots of big old trees, lovely. We are on a water race scheme... but make sure you read the rules and regs of the race scheme, interesting and a trap for beginners as we found. We looked all over Canterbury, before deciding on Selwyn.

Rental with dogs is really hard. We were really lucky and got the first one we applied for - we had a "doggie" resume, vet references. I think it helped that our house was on the market and they could see it. BUt I dont really know, we are a olderish couple, no kids and 2 outside dogs... maybe that too.... you never know.

We have a wood burner and LOTS of trees, so a great wood supply and it goes all winter

All due respect to the North Canterbury people, I found the drive in to work was horrendous (we house sat in Ohoka for a while) We work on the West side of town - the drive from the West side to Riccarton is so much easier .... schools, no idea

Good luckto you, it is a huge change, to change Islands!! good on you. We came from bush, serenity, river, and no neighbours, was dreading it ... but find that our not so close neighbours are excellent and surprisingly really enjoying it.... you never know what is around the corner ....

7 miniature or smaller belted galloways, 2 new kune kunes, Pitt island sheep. Peacocks, 2 guinea fowls, chooks who don't pull their weight! pekin ducks,[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] one rescued brown mallard, 1 dog and 1 cat

More
11 years 2 months ago #452902 by celt
Bless you for that post mini magic. I think west is the way to go for us and I here Selwyn is good. If Lincoln High is good when we visit then that is what we will go with. However problem is period between arriving and buying. Unlike Auckland we have no relatives to stay with and with pets it is going to be an absolute nightmare to rent right now based on everything I am hearing so far. if we could find a good rental it give us time to find something lovely.

Time to create page: 0.139 seconds