Code of compliance insurance

More
11 years 3 months ago #34284 by NickyF
Hello - we are nearing the end of our house building adventure & are fast nearing the end of our funds too! We've been living in a caravan and need to sell this to fund the rest of the build. Does anyone know if you can get house insurance if you've passed all your council inspections but haven't got the code of compliance? Would like to move in once we have it to a basic level but as I understand, our building insurance would cease once we "move in"... Keen to hear of others experiences.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 3 months ago #452403 by Aquila
Replied by Aquila on topic Code of compliance insurance
Insurance companies doing things all their own way, best to ring yours and see what they say

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

More
11 years 3 months ago #452416 by little red digger
We got insurance before the code of compliance and i still have jobs to do to complete. I had to put a value on the work that was still required.

Dave and Ruth, Oxford Contracting

More
11 years 3 months ago #452452 by Hawkspur
The builder may have an obligation to obtain the Certificate of Code Compliance for before handing over to you, but it is not impossible to get around this, and you will need to talk to your insurers as said above.
There is an explanation of some of the issues here .

More
11 years 3 months ago #452455 by cj4a
Replied by cj4a on topic Code of compliance insurance
we had moved in before we got our code of compliance had to send thru copies of the inspection reports to the insurance company but will depend on your insurer no harm in ringing and asking
have you got an insurer to go to? or are you taking over the policy from your builder?
weve been in since easter last year and have only recived the code of compliance since christmas
good luck

More
11 years 3 months ago #452470 by NickyF
Replied by NickyF on topic Code of compliance insurance
Hi - CJ4a - the builders risk insurance is in our own name which was a bit of a mission to get as they (State) initially said that without a current house policy they wouldn't insure us. As I pointed out, we'd sold our house and were living in a caravan which was insured with them and that was our house!! Will get in touch with State when we've got all our inspections done.

Thanks everyone for your repsponses - sounds like I'd better get the caravan cleaned up ready for sale. What a moment that will be!! :)

More
11 years 3 months ago #452519 by KiplingAngel
We had builders risk insurance while we were building, but once we got our CCC, we had to get house insurance ... as well as contents, cars, tractor, sheds, caravan, etc etc etc...

And we kept our caravan as a spare 'bedroom' for those who want it - so we have plenty of room for guests now.

More
11 years 3 months ago #452531 by cj4a
Replied by cj4a on topic Code of compliance insurance
Nickyf i wouldn't wait contact them now so you get no suprises like we did the building co cancelled the building policy and didn't tell us[:0]:eek:, we spent a couple of weeks with NO insurance blissfully unaware of the fact and had a scramble to get cover, a little stressful i can tell you

More
11 years 3 months ago #452544 by DiDi
Replied by DiDi on topic Code of compliance insurance
If you are rural, you may find a company like FMG more receptive to your situation as they can and will send a representative out to visit you (at least they used too) and that way you know everything is properly covered.

More
11 years 3 months ago #452571 by max2
Replied by max2 on topic Code of compliance insurance
We haven't a code of compliance on our house yet but applied to council for an extension of time. the house is pretty much finished, its just finishing touches like the base board covers and fitting a man hole lid.

We are insured with FMG, prior to that via BNZ and at no time has it been a problem.

More
11 years 3 months ago #452572 by kb1
Replied by kb1 on topic Code of compliance insurance
I did not get onto COC until we had been in the house for over 12mths and had full insurance the whole time. All insurance company were interested in was that house had a kitchen, then it was classed as liveable as I could not get building insurance extended because of length of time to build.

More
11 years 3 months ago #452623 by gnatterjack
We faced exactly this problem just before Christmas. Thankfully, FMG were great to deal with and agreed to cover us without a Certificate of Code Compliance. Probably didn't hurt that our builder's Contract Works cover was through FMG as well.

Time to create page: 0.134 seconds