Wild chickens

More
11 years 2 months ago #34282 by Camelotwenz
Wild chickens was created by Camelotwenz
Hi, just before Christmas one of our young hens came out of our bush with 15 little chickens in tow. After 3 days she was down to 12, but she has done a great job protecting them and they have all thrived. She did too good a job cos the chicks are quite wild, we can't get to within a foot of them before they take off.

We would like to catch them so they can start living with the rest of the flock. We have tried coaxing them with food while OH nets them, but they are SO fast. They just take off back into the bush, which is quite dense. No catching them there! There are 3 that look like roos, so I'm not keen on them living wild forever. We could potentially end up with a plague of chooks!

I am hoping our resident rooster Robert will take the girls under his wing (so to speak) but I think we will need to get rid of the boys first.

Anyone got any suggestions please?

Many thanks, Wenz

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 2 months ago #452402 by robbie88
Replied by robbie88 on topic Wild chickens
Yes, we have experienced all of the above.
My only advice is to catch them at night. It will take some strategy and organisation but the trick will be to extract the chicks from under mum before she realises what is happening.
Good luck

Rob

More
11 years 2 months ago #452419 by Camelotwenz
Replied by Camelotwenz on topic Wild chickens
Thanks for that Robbie88. Trouble is, I think they sleep in the bush at night and it would be almost impossible to find them. I will have a bit of a hunt tonight, see if I can find them. :)

• Akzle
11 years 2 months ago #452427 by Akzle
Replied by Akzle on topic Wild chickens
shoot em?

More
11 years 2 months ago #452435 by Camelotwenz
Replied by Camelotwenz on topic Wild chickens
Hehe that thought did cross my mind. Maybe a job for the OH...;)

Thanks, Wenz

Time to create page: 0.128 seconds