January rainfall

More
11 years 3 months ago #451937 by FarmerAl
Replied by FarmerAl on topic January rainfall
Might be time to get the ole rain dance kit on ( or off !!) :D

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 3 months ago #451946 by hilldweller
Replied by hilldweller on topic January rainfall
The clouds are gathering and I've felt a couple of drops. It's probably still a few hours off.

hilldweller

More
11 years 3 months ago #451949 by Stu_R
Replied by Stu_R on topic January rainfall
no sign of any rain here in Manawatu yet :(
Forcast for tomorrow but also forcast for 31c temps .. :( :( fly strike weather if ever there was :( :( .. ( already had one ram lamb struck and just fixed him friday and yesterday )
Already eyeing up the Willow shelter belts and serviced the chainsaw today

5 retired Greyhounds ( Bridgette , Lilly, GoGo,Sam and now Lenny) 15 friendly sheep all of whom are named and come when you call them :) , 2 goats, Mollie and Eee Bee :
Olive trees , .. old bugger doing the best he can with no money or land :)

More
11 years 3 months ago #451955 by John M
Replied by John M on topic January rainfall
Stu, I was going to bring my sheep in yesterday to do a little dagging and preventative flystrike, but I got called out to attend to a couple of flooded houses so figured I'd get to them next week.

On Friday they were all ok, this evening, one down with a raw bum :( let me walk right up to him in the paddock and check him out without running away which while they are quiet, he was never that quiet.

Guess I had the morning off work for a reason. Problem is, they are in a paddock without yards access so I'll have to carry across the temp yards to deal with the rams.

Anyone in Manawatu good at the rain dance?

John

Breeding black Wiltshire shedding sheep.

Full shedding, easy care, good feet, easy lambing and good mothering is what it takes to make the breeding cut!

More
11 years 3 months ago #451970 by muri
Replied by muri on topic January rainfall
wonderful, woke to the sound of water going into the empty tank- music in the night.
25mls last night and still drizzling
Thats more than we have had for the entire past two months.
The same amount again should see us right in the pasture department, now that the tanks are full

More
11 years 3 months ago #451973 by Tui Ridge
Replied by Tui Ridge on topic January rainfall
yep, alot happier here this morning :D

we were supposed to get a little light rain overnight but we got 10ml :D - I heard 2 patches of relatively heavy rain overnight - supposedly the really heavy stuff is due tonight so hopefully (all fingers, toes and everything else we can manage crossed [^]) we get a decent amount more.

oh - and we were supposed to be taking the kids to Rainbows End today - thats why it rained [}:)]

Me and hubby and 2 boys, Alpacas, Arapawa sheep, Lowline cattle, lots and lots of chooks and ducks ;)

More
11 years 3 months ago #451975 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic January rainfall
Just under 6mm here.

More
11 years 3 months ago #452004 by hilldweller
Replied by hilldweller on topic January rainfall
An inch here and still coming :)

Mowed a lot of thistles yesterday so hoping the theory of water getting in the cut stems and causing them to rot holds true. I'm inclined to think the thistles may just treat this as a refreshing shower LOL.

Hay was cut on Tues, baled on Thurs following super-dry weather and shedded on Fri :)

hilldweller

• Akzle
11 years 3 months ago #452017 by Akzle
Replied by Akzle on topic January rainfall
RAIN!!!!

three days to actually get the ground wet, and now it's hot again. [xx(]

More
11 years 3 months ago #452020 by muri
Replied by muri on topic January rainfall
Best not to get too excited.
I was doing some weeding and digging, 25mls hasnt sunk in at all.
I thought it would have made more of an impression than it has.
And if wet grass gets burnt off in the sun its worse than having no rain at all.
Auckland has been the driest on record in 50 years

More
11 years 3 months ago #452026 by Alan Gilbert
Replied by Alan Gilbert on topic January rainfall
22mm here, which is a bit drier than the 362mm we got two years ago.
Oskatd, you're quite right - 11mm is less than an inch; less than half an inch, in fact. There are exactly 25.4mm to one inch.

• Akzle
11 years 3 months ago #452030 by Akzle
Replied by Akzle on topic January rainfall

Alan Gilbert;452769 wrote: There are exactly 25.4mm to one inch.

and quite ironic, that the imperial system is now based on that metric fact.

More
11 years 3 months ago #452039 by kindajojo
Replied by kindajojo on topic January rainfall
John if it is that quiet I would be suspecting Barber Pole ...Check the tongue/gums and eye lids if they are pale then get some vetdectin (drench) into them asap. If they are in the paddock and you can drench them there do so. Don't run them into yards as the stress may well finish them off.
Get a poop sample to the vet for a FEC to confirm.....it can be helpful when starting to do a pooop sample before you drench and then 3 days later to see how the drench works on your worms.

Get about 20g (per animal ) of fresh poop in a clean plastic bag and drop at Totally vets asap. Keep in a cool place until you can drop it off.

Note the animals that get affected and if they have not built up immunity after 12 months eat them.
I know LR will be along to comment of the merits or lack there of of FEC samples. But its handy to see what you have lying around in your grass.

More
11 years 3 months ago #452040 by kindajojo
Replied by kindajojo on topic January rainfall
15mm .......need more

More
11 years 3 months ago #452054 by John M
Replied by John M on topic January rainfall
10 ml here and clearing unfortunately.

Jo, I gave him vetdectin this morning, which he chowed down and looked for more.

I checked gums, tongue and eyes and all appeared ok. He has lost condition badly compared to his mate that came with him so I'll monitor and see what happens. I have some portable clip together fence sections donated to me as portable yards that I caught him in the paddock and carried him to them so at least I had a contained area in which to work on him.

I just came in from checking him again, and he is bright eyed, but not bushy tailed!! Won't let me closer than a couple of meters now so that's an improvement.

Can anyone advice if Zapp Encore with 10ml of rain on it will be compromised?

Also, I don't seem to have any pertinent info for Vetdectin other than dosage, what time frame to repeat for this little fella?

Cheers, John

Breeding black Wiltshire shedding sheep.

Full shedding, easy care, good feet, easy lambing and good mothering is what it takes to make the breeding cut!

Time to create page: 0.152 seconds