January rainfall

More
11 years 3 months ago #451867 by KiplingAngel
Replied by KiplingAngel on topic January rainfall
Rainfall [SIZE=+0]To date this year [/SIZE]14.7 mm (0.58 in.)

This is from about 12 minutes down the road from us - but we've had a hell of a lot less - we're just over the bump from Pokeno - we're watching the sky with great anticipation... Our first year out here, so still figuring out the weather patterns... or not...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 3 months ago #451872 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic January rainfall
We've had 7mls for January. Normal rainfall is about 72. And for February thus far. 0mls

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
11 years 3 months ago #451881 by mrquail
Replied by mrquail on topic January rainfall
I think the technical term for how much we've had is, as a friend of mine would say "the square root of f***-all". However the radar looks very promising, fingers and toes crossed. I may put some washing on the line and schedule a cricket match, that ought to do it.

More
11 years 3 months ago #451884 by diggs
Replied by diggs on topic January rainfall
125, here

Kapiti

More
11 years 3 months ago #451886 by kaumea
Replied by kaumea on topic January rainfall
Outskirts of Gisborne: surprised that we had 66.5mm in January [:0] In December we got only 31.5mm [:0]..all arround us is brown and very dry..really hope to get this wet stuff next week to fill the tanks a little bit..

I don't have all I love anymore, but I still love all I have...

More
11 years 3 months ago #451893 by Kilmoon
Replied by Kilmoon on topic January rainfall
Hilldweller - I recorded 80.5mm here for January (closer to Dunedin than you are I think). The grass growth has been truly amazing down here in the south, our Back paddock completely got away on the sheep so in some places they'll have standing hay for winter...unless I get in there with the brush-cutter and mow it all down. As for our Main paddock (its not the main - its just called that as the pens are off it) the girls have been in there now for 2 weeks and its just starting to look grazed in the places they eat first:rolleyes:, those areas usually have large cracks in them at this stage each summer...not this year - which goes to show how much even rainfall we've had.

More
11 years 3 months ago #451897 by muri
Replied by muri on topic January rainfall
Someone posted along the thread it was stressful getting low on water.
Water is just like any other commodity that you buy in when you have run out and most city dwellers pay for their water and pay heaps,
I see on Waiheke Is there is a three week wait for water, now that would be stressful for them and right in the middle of the tourist season,
There are no water supplies on the island and it has to be shipped in from the mainland.
Waihekie usually gets a much lower rainfall than auckland so they must really be struggling over there

More
11 years 3 months ago #451903 by hilldweller
Replied by hilldweller on topic January rainfall
Thanks Kilmoon - I think 80ish would be about right for here too. I do want the promised rain tomorrow though LOL (greedy!).

It looks like many parts of the country are in for a good dollop this week :)

hilldweller

More
11 years 3 months ago #451905 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic January rainfall
We often have rain forecast during dry spells and it usually fades out of the forecasts as those earlier-predicted days of rain approach. I wouldn't be at all surprised if we don't get any.

More
11 years 3 months ago #451910 by eelcat
Replied by eelcat on topic January rainfall
I think we had 5mm over January, however a severe weather watch is in place here for tomorrow - 10 - 25mm of rain. Will believe it when I see it, though I hardly think that will be a sever weather warning unless it is suggesting (and warning others) that we will all be outside in our nakednesses dancing and celebrating. Our place is the driest it has ever been. Sheep have nothing - OH is out now sorting out moving them to the lease block. Not ideal but we have no choice, at least there is some grass there from under the hay cut.

1 Border collie, 1 Huntaway, 2 Lhasa Apsos, Suffolk and arapawa ewe crosses, an Arapawa ram,an East Friesian ewe , 5 cats, 42 ducks , 1 rooster and 30 hens, 5 geese, 12 goats, 2 donkeys, 2 house cows, one heifer calf, one bull calf, 3 rabbits and lots and lots and lots of fruit trees...

More
11 years 3 months ago #451914 by muri
Replied by muri on topic January rainfall
Eeelcat, have you poplar or willow you can cut for them.
We cut down a poplar this week and do one a week for all the stock [they are far too high and far too close]. The tree certainly provides them with a lot of fodder and the sheep get stuck in as well. One tree will last 2-3 days only and they would be about 20m high.
We are likewise pruning the willows and they are even more popular in the eating dept amongst the stock

More
11 years 3 months ago #451921 by eelcat
We have about 1000 poplars - virtually all their leaves have come off in the last 3 days. Our paddocks are yellow with leaves which I guess the sheep are eating anyway but normally we feed them poplar in late Feb, early March - incredibly early this year. Our willow trees are not big enough and 3 of the 9 of those look to be dead or dying. Our lettuces are cooking in the ground - it is unbelievable weather. Even when it is forecast to rain tomorrow, it is going to be 27 degrees, and I'm thinking that's not going to be so good for stock either! Farming eh? We have feed, (hay) so the animals aren't going to starve but given that our property is like this, our thoughts go out to those whose income depends on their stock.

1 Border collie, 1 Huntaway, 2 Lhasa Apsos, Suffolk and arapawa ewe crosses, an Arapawa ram,an East Friesian ewe , 5 cats, 42 ducks , 1 rooster and 30 hens, 5 geese, 12 goats, 2 donkeys, 2 house cows, one heifer calf, one bull calf, 3 rabbits and lots and lots and lots of fruit trees...

More
11 years 3 months ago #451922 by eelcat
We were harvesting (chopping down) 1 every couple of days but it seems pointless now.

More
11 years 3 months ago #451924 by jsmum
Replied by jsmum on topic January rainfall
Fingers crossed for tomorrow's rain! Perhaps I should get the barbeque out and hang some washing out? Just waiting for the car battery to charge so I can let the cows out onto the side of the road. Might trim the overhanging willows while I'm there. The animals are going crazy for anything green. Heaps of hay but they want the green stuff.

More
11 years 3 months ago #451925 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic January rainfall
I can smell rain! It's been wafting around the hills all day, with spits where we are from time to time. Of course it needs to fall rather than waft, to do any good.

Time to create page: 0.151 seconds