another first for us

More
11 years 4 months ago #34058 by Tui Ridge
First time i've had to call the Vet out for a birth.

I watched one of our Alpacas give birth yesterday afternoon - Strawberry (Mum alpaca) had her first cria - she's only a little thing and has been looking very pregnant!

Anyway - birth went fine - if very quick, baby was out in 10 minutes. I could see the cria squirming a bit. Went over to check them after 15 minutes or so, and she'd had a very pretty dark brown boy.

Went back to my vantage point and kept an eye on them for the next 30 minutes or so, mum passed the placenta but baby made no attempt to get up or even lift his head, in fact all movement stopped :(

So went to check him again - he was just lying there, he was breathing and an occasional ear flick but didn't move when I lifted his head or respond to his Mum talking to him. Checked the Alpaca manual "if the cria is not up and trying to feed within 1-2 hours of birth then get the Vet"

So I did, at aprox. 1.5 hours after he was born. And of course within 10 minutes of me calling the Vet the cria started moving again and attempted to sit up - but didn't do a very good job of it!

Vet checked him - heart / breathing good, temp a little low but not too bad, good suck reflex, weight about 5kg which is below what is considered full term weight (5.5kg is considered minimum) but no other signs of being prem.

So we caught Mum and the vet milked her [:0][^] - she wasn't impressed and kicked a bit at first but once she realised what he was doing she stood completely still - and voiced her opinion [}:)] he got 80mls from her (20 ml per teat - maximum to be expected at this stage).

Then we held the cria and used a syringe and tube to feed him the milk - he was able to suck the milk through the tube and got a good 60ml feed - the rest went over us :rolleyes:

The Vet left with instructions to me to repeat the milking / feeding process 4-5 times per day until baby was strong enough to feed on his own. We put a coat on the cria to help keep him warm.

About an hour later the cria woke up again and sat up and attempted to stand :D . Once Hubby got home we grabbed Strawberry again and as a first attempt held baby to her udder - he made a good attempt at feeding - needed a lot of help to stay steady and get his mouth in the right place but got a few good sucks in :D

Went out a couple of hours later and shut them in the shelter for the night and again held Mum and helped baby have a good feed - which we were happy he did!

Checked them this morning, held Mum and baby went straight in and fed well without us having to support him. And again out in the paddock 10 minutes later without any assistance at all :D :D :D

So I didn't have to learn how to milk an Alpaca [:I] and baby is doing well :)

Me and hubby and 2 boys, Alpacas, Arapawa sheep, Lowline cattle, lots and lots of chooks and ducks ;)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 4 months ago #450308 by HeidiLee
Replied by HeidiLee on topic another first for us
Congrats on the new addition! Hope he continues to thrive.

Heidi
8.5 acres | 2 horses | 1 dog | 18 chooks | peace & quiet | a big smile on my dial![:D]

More
11 years 4 months ago #450312 by Ashlee
Replied by Ashlee on topic another first for us
Great news that he is doing well :) share a photo when you get a chance.
Just a quick tip, if you have a cria that is a bit slow getting up like that one, take a towel and give it a good rub all over for a few minutes to stimulate the blood flow and lift the temperature a bit.

More
11 years 4 months ago #450332 by jeannielea
Replied by jeannielea on topic another first for us
That's why I think colostrum is pure magic! Not that i have experience with alpacas but I've had quite a few lambs that appear to be near death and colostrum has given them the strength to keep going and work at getting a feed from Mum. Well done you on all counts!

More
11 years 4 months ago #450362 by Tui Ridge
Replied by Tui Ridge on topic another first for us
and some photos :D

Attached files
File Attachment:
File Attachment:
File Attachment:

Me and hubby and 2 boys, Alpacas, Arapawa sheep, Lowline cattle, lots and lots of chooks and ducks ;)

More
11 years 4 months ago #450365 by Ashlee
Replied by Ashlee on topic another first for us
Cute fellow. Love the colour :)

More
11 years 4 months ago #450398 by The Kats Place
Replied by The Kats Place on topic another first for us
OMG isn't he gorgous. How do you ever get anything done apart from watch and play with you lovely fur babies?

kats
Live your life in such a way that it will be easy for people to say nice things at your funeral [;)]

Time to create page: 0.130 seconds