Home grown meat - Best Beast?

More
11 years 3 months ago #449915 by John M
My only experience is with Hereford / Freisan cross.

But home kill verses commercial is huge.

Home killed beef, lamb, chevon, pork and venison (well the veni was shot and home butchered straight off grass) and we're spoilt for choice!!

It seems criminal to buy any meat with such a good spread to choose from, but we miss chicken and fish so occasionally buy some of that.

Chooks are being added sometime this year but not sure we'll have them for meat.

John

Breeding black Wiltshire shedding sheep.

Full shedding, easy care, good feet, easy lambing and good mothering is what it takes to make the breeding cut!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 3 months ago #449954 by LongRidge
The six to eight month old roosters that we were given were an egg breed. They didn't have much fat, the meat was dark, I knew they would be tough and flavourless ...... and they were delicious and tender.

More
11 years 3 months ago #449987 by igor
Replied by igor on topic Home grown meat - Best Beast?
We ate a couple of three month old roosters recently. They were not big but very tender although older birds have much more flavour.

More
11 years 3 months ago #449989 by LESLEYH

Stu_R;450348 wrote: Well :) from a purely Homekill point of view .. Althea's Jersey meat was great flavour and yummy :)
Sue's MG meat was great flavour and tender and yummy to eat :)
Bearring in mind these were both totaly home kill animals and i only had a couple of samples of each that i was given for helping out at times :)
Personally i would go for the MG meat :)
but :) :) if i can win lotto and buy my own land .. then i would love to put a Murray Grey bull over a Jersey cow as the meat from ofspring would be soooo yummy :)

That will be interesting Stu, as we have 2 jersey cows who have babies from Fanfare (pure MG) and also a white face mother MG offspring. So I will be able to reliably inform you of the outcome, when their time comes.

LESLEY

Time to create page: 0.121 seconds