Urgent Re home needed for Birman

More
11 years 3 months ago #33977 by Country Girl
Hi there not sure if anyone can help me. I moved to a small section with our birman who has only lived on farms/lifestyle blocks. We have been at our current address for two years. Miss Puss has been attacking the neighbours kitten - not just one neighbours but more than one!! She has done serious damage to one kitten and they have asked me to keep her indoors/caged - no life for a cat!! So if anyone can help I would be most appreciative :)

She is five years old, speyed and has lived with adult cats before with no problems and is very loving to her human companions. She is an excellent hunter. I think that the closeness of space is the primary problem. Any help appreciated :)

A pessimist is never disappointed

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 3 months ago #449488 by jsmum
We only have an adult cat so could have her if nobody closer can help

More
11 years 3 months ago #449489 by Country Girl
Thanks - I will see if there is anyone closer but if not I am happy to drive her down :) :)

More
11 years 3 months ago #449496 by katieb
Pop into World of Pets in Lemington & ask if you can put an ad up instore or the vets

Animals rule our place... cows, calves, sheep, goats, pigs, horses, donkeys, chickens, ducks... the list goes on
...."lifestyle block like" 25 or so acres around the house attached to a rather large farm with dairy drystock & a 600 cow dairy conversion :)....1500 acres to call home

More
11 years 3 months ago #449499 by Country Girl
Thanks Katieb but thought going this route would find a place where she has lots of room to move :)

More
11 years 3 months ago #449502 by katieb
If Dani still works at the Cambridge vets(the ones near the Warehouse) ask her as she may know of a nice home since she gets to know a lot of people while working there... she worked at the petstore for a few years before the vets so knows of lots of pet lovers...someone may have lost a cat or she may know of people who would happily take on a cat. Shes had people call me in the past trying to rehome old pet sheep(I had too many sheep at the time) & some other animal... cant remember what.

Animals rule our place... cows, calves, sheep, goats, pigs, horses, donkeys, chickens, ducks... the list goes on
...."lifestyle block like" 25 or so acres around the house attached to a rather large farm with dairy drystock & a 600 cow dairy conversion :)....1500 acres to call home

More
11 years 3 months ago #449505 by DiDi
Interesting thread given that I have moved my part Maine Coon cat from a LSB through two urban properties - this being her third. I have had cats come through the cat door and seen off. I have had her baling up cats that step foot on this property (and I would suggest there are at least 12 cats within a two acre surround) and I have given her the total verbal when she has baled up a cat on the next door property - actually three. Not your house!

It is called Territory. She knows her boundaries just as the other cats all do and they each respect each others territory. You have to teach your cat just as you would a dog what they can and cant do and rubbish to anyone who says differently. You can teach cats!

Before I am squashed on this, I have a friend with two Burmese and one is a peridactol? blind boy three years old who can find his way home without incident. He actually is mates with the cats over the fence. Have you a large number of cats and this one is just trying to find it's own space? That happens. Attacking kittens is weird. Not the normal behaviour of a mature cat from my experience but I may be wrong.

More
11 years 3 months ago #449509 by Country Girl
Didi the reason we got this Birman in the first place was that she attacked the owners new kittens when she got one and I couldn't believe that they were going to shoot her!! I thought this is odd - I actually didn't believe them and she lived in their house happily with the other adult cat.

My daughter was on a farm at the time and I was going to send her one of my cats for company but since they were going to shoot puss I took her to the farm. Since then she has always lived with adult cats and has minded her own business living here around grown cats.

Both my neighbours one in a townhouse and one over the back fence have had their kittens attacked by her - she has gone into their house and done this I cannot stop her wandering the neighbourhood :( I am sure a cat breeder may elude to this behaviour I am at a loss!!

More
11 years 3 months ago #449510 by Stikkibeek
Birmans do seem to like wandering over a much bigger territory than other cats. My Birman has been a big wanderer in the past....caused all sorts of vet bills, but I was just beginning to think he was ok with 15 acres to roam over and him staying near the house. That was until this evening when I caught him wandering up the middle of a very busy road!

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
11 years 3 months ago #449544 by Country Girl
Thanks guys Puss is now off to 180 acre farm - plenty of fun for a good cat to have :)

More
11 years 3 months ago #449552 by katieb
thats good to hear :)

Did you find someone on here in the end?

More
11 years 3 months ago #449555 by Country Girl
No a family friend who wasn't going to take her has decided to so we can keep her in the family sort of :) I did contact Dani she gave me cat protection numbers but am happy she can go to a home direct and not be shifted about too much :)

More
11 years 3 months ago #449604 by Anne
Oh b*gger!!! I was just reading (getting excited) and thinking that she'd be ideal for my place (Parawera) and would be a great hunting cat for rats and meeces :D . Oh, well, good to hear she's got a home.

More
11 years 3 months ago #449608 by DiDi
Me too. Delighted to hear she has a new home and (not being sarcastic I promise) maybe an asset to keeping the feral cat population down. I like you just wonder why she attacks kittens and not adult cats. Perhaps something happened in her life before you got her. Regardless, well done on finding her a new territory and an opportunity to live a long life.

Time to create page: 0.142 seconds