Sick cow

More
11 years 4 months ago #33928 by chicken_itis
Sick cow was created by chicken_itis
this is the second cow with the same symptons..
Panting, with tongue out (not all the time), severe weight loss, listless/depressed, both have been once calved heifers (3yo) from (currently in) a dairy heard

Any clues??

(please note- not my cow/s)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 4 months ago #449001 by chicken_itis
Replied by chicken_itis on topic Sick cow
Oh ..and coughing too

More
11 years 4 months ago #449002 by Barclay
Replied by Barclay on topic Sick cow
It sounds very sick. It's even more worrying if it's spreading. The owner of this animal should be calling a vet.

More
11 years 4 months ago #449004 by katieb
Replied by katieb on topic Sick cow
has the vet been called? does owner know about the sick cow/cows?

Animals rule our place... cows, calves, sheep, goats, pigs, horses, donkeys, chickens, ducks... the list goes on
...."lifestyle block like" 25 or so acres around the house attached to a rather large farm with dairy drystock & a 600 cow dairy conversion :)....1500 acres to call home

More
11 years 4 months ago #449019 by chicken_itis
They will get onto vet tomorrow I think (hope!), first cow just got shot as she was so bad. The owner is some what of an old school farmer and thinks they just swallowed drench the wrong way... !?
After googling it it could be something as simple(but also serious) as lung worm.
If not it could be pneumonia, which also could be caused by the lung worm.

More
11 years 4 months ago #449033 by Barclay
Replied by Barclay on topic Sick cow

chicken_itis;449378 wrote: They will get onto vet tomorrow I think (hope!), first cow just got shot as she was so bad. The owner is some what of an old school farmer and thinks they just swallowed drench the wrong way... !?
After googling it it could be something as simple(but also serious) as lung worm.
If not it could be pneumonia, which also could be caused by the lung worm.

And the sad thing is that losing a prime animal won't get him to change his ways. What does a young milking dairy cow cost these days? $1500? $2000?

He should have called the vet earlier. Even if the diagnosis is bad drench technique then it's worth someone with a qualification saying so because then the technique might get changed.

Would it really be lungworm in an animal that age, recently (badly) drenched?

EDIT: And really, whatever the cause, an animal with those signs should have been treated promptly. It's borderline negligence to let it get to the point where it needs to be shot.

More
11 years 4 months ago #450152 by chicken_itis
The cow mentioned died rather quickly, (24hrs) before the vet could get back with his ideas on what the cause could be.
tests were done so it came back lung worm with added infection most likely caused by it, such a waste loosing to young cows to something so simple...
So many of the other cows have been treated and are improving already.

It has been assumed by the vet that the reason they were succuming to it in their first milking year is that they had such a good drenching programme before now that they are now only just being exposed to it in the milking heard.

More
11 years 4 months ago #450171 by Ronney
Replied by Ronney on topic Sick cow
The irritating thing about this is that lungworm is avoidable and easily recognisable even in the early stages. To have got to the point where they were losing weight and depressed would seem to me that they were well advanced with lungworm and their owner wasn't taking an awful lot of notice.

I occasionally get lungworm in my cows. The first sign of it is when they are under physical stress. Don't get me wrong, this isn't physical stress that I'm putting them through, rather than what they are doing themselves. Hard walking or a "mad half-hour" will set them panting and coughing. Lungworm.

You did your best but not easy when the stock belongs to someone else. All you can do is learn from it.

Cheers,
Ronnie

Time to create page: 0.130 seconds