Goat giving milk but has not been in kid.

More
11 years 3 months ago #33904 by crazy poms
Hi, checking our goats the other day and we noticed that one of our 18 month old goats(Marrigold) had an udder appear, just the one, after milking our other goats we caught her and milked her out. This milk was off, she has not been anywhere near a buck, is this normal for goats and should we worry about the other udder. She is a nubian x and the other udder is smaller than her teat. Do goats have phantom pregnancy ?
Besides this she is well and happily jumping the fence into next doors hay paddock.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 3 months ago #448817 by Iniuk
She could be a 'maiden milker'- books tell me goats can come into milk without being pregnant. (If it was me. I'd keep on milking her.)
Some more experienced person will know more than me. :)

More
11 years 3 months ago #448818 by Andrea1
If you keep on milking her, or going through the motions of milking her, as long as she's well-grown, you can milk her without having her be in-kid. In strong milking lines of goats, maiden milkers are fairly common - I have 4 of them this year! I haven't milked them, though, because I'd prefer they put their energy into growing for another year before I breed them. They're all only 15-16 months old. Having one half of the udder produce milk and the other half not is also quite common.

And, just to get the terminology on track, does and cows have one udder each. Goats have 2 halves, cows have 4 quarters. :) (And that said, I had a goat once upon a time with FOUR quarters, each one separate from the other, and all four producing milk.)

More
11 years 3 months ago #448822 by The dream
My 2yo doe was a maiden milker on one side. Her previous owner had milked her. I think that made it a bit easier for me when I got her as she had a bit of an idea what this milking lark was about!

The man at the top of the hill didn't fall there! [:D][^]

7 acres, 10 sheep, 1 cow, 10 chooks, 4 goats, 3 very spoilt cats. Living the dream.

More
11 years 3 months ago #448843 by LongRidge
We have had 4 virgin births from 2 does this year :-( I know they are virgins because we have not got our goats out from the neighbours buck, nor the buck from out of our goats.
But we also have a Saanan that has one side with nothing and the other side huge, so the answers you have received are useful.
Should I milk our doe to check that she does not have mastitis? The side feels full but not hard.

More
11 years 3 months ago #448877 by BlueSkyBee
LR: Virgin births?? Um. How is that possible?

I think I must be reading your post wrong somehow??

To dig in one’s own earth, with one’s own spade, does life hold anything better? –Beverly Nichols

More
11 years 3 months ago #448900 by LongRidge
BSB, virgin births happen from "immaculate conception" ......
or from the buck getting in then getting out again, without the human helpers noticing.

More
11 years 3 months ago #448907 by BlueSkyBee
Yes, well, being a firm believer in the immaculate conception... :cool: ;)

To dig in one’s own earth, with one’s own spade, does life hold anything better? –Beverly Nichols

Time to create page: 0.122 seconds