Help please!! Chicks alive when hatch but broody killing them??

More
11 years 5 months ago #33812 by sonyajh
Aagh, I've been hearing the sounds of cheep cheep, but they get to a certain point of coming out of the shells and the next time I check they're dead. That's 2 now, with the 3rd one being the premature death (that I mentioned on a previous post). I'm manically typing because, I don't know whether to take the surviving chick off her - it's under her right now, still wet from hatching ...

Also, there's 2 remaining eggs to hatch and I SOOO couldn't bear them coming to the same fate as the other 3 ... help! I've popped these 2 eggs under my other broody hen, in the hope she will know what to do with them? Please tell me I'm doing the right thing. Only thing is, the 2nd broody one (that I've just put final 2 eggs under) is in the nesting box where 2 other hens need to get to to lay. I haven't got any more options for coops (the first broody's in the small coop with the baby chick).

HAve I done the right thing leaving the chick with her, assuming she'll know what to do with it now that it's successfully out of it's shell? (wondered if she'd got overly protective and killed them by accident?)

and secondly, have I done the right thing by moving the last 2 eggs? They're all due tomorrow, so were a day early.

So disappointed. And feel sorry for the Mummy Broody. aaagh! Please h elp tonight - so I can sleep. A farmer I would not make.

1/4 acre urban lifestyler [:D]

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 5 months ago #447892 by sonyajh
I shoudl say, they're dying mid way through hatching out of shells. They're not completely out before they're killed. :/

More
11 years 5 months ago #447904 by Woolpatch
If it makes you feel any better you're not alone, one of my mums did this last year and not a single chick was spared. I think she let herself get too hungry and dehydrated and the instinct for sustenance dominated the maternal instinct. They too we're killed half out of the shell when the line between afterbirth in the egg and young chick are blurred.

I think you've done the right thing removing the other eggs, I would suggest offering the broody mum food and drink too.

More
11 years 5 months ago #447907 by sonyajh
Nawww I'm sorry to hear taht - I've been taking Mum out every morning and night since 22 days ago ... bum, she may have just got too hungry ... but my instinct with her is she didn't know what she was doing OR she got over protective/helpful. She's looking like she might do ok with this live chick, I just went and checked on her - and it looks quite good. I offered it water and food, but as it's only a few hours old it wasn't too interested - took a small small drink when i popped tiny fraction of end of beak in water ... hoep that's enough to hlep it last through the night as didn't want to leave a bowl of water in there with it when it's soooo little. left the food in there tho.
aagh this is much more stressful than i anticipated.
thanks for replying - i've been hoping for more response but will head to bed now.
thankyou swanton.

More
11 years 5 months ago #447908 by Stikkibeek
They usually don't need either food or water for the first day; sometimes longer, as they are still feeding off the absorbed yolk sac. Water is usually the first thing they will seek once they are ready. If your other hen hatches the chicks and accepts them then all is well, if not you may be able to pop them back under the hen that sat on them, at night, but wait until they are nice and strong, say two days old before you do that and keep a close eye on her to make sure she is ok with them.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
11 years 5 months ago #447909 by HarryPotter
Ok, is the hen definitely killing the chicks? What is the time span in between you checking them?

Look closely at the shells of the chicks that are already dead and see if there is evidence that the shells have been pushed in or crushed by the hen. If there is evidence of this then remove the eggs and surviving chick.

Putting the eggs under the other broody is a good idea. How long has she been broody for? If it is around the two weeks or more she may adopt them.

What a worrying time.

Sharing the pad with Harry the Australian Terrorist, Penny the Bearded Collie, Bev the Schnauzer/beardie and her daughters Nellie and Charlotte. (Dad was a Hungarian Vizsla) + lots of chooks. [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

More
11 years 5 months ago #447940 by stephclark
Hi Sonya

have PM'd you.. and bascially said exactly what other shave said...
sorry the reply came late.. hope your baking went well today

Time to create page: 0.158 seconds