Well how handy is that?

More
11 years 4 months ago #33802 by jimminette
Husband grabbed a long bamboo pole to check tank level. Did you know that the nodes on bamboo are equally placed apart up the stem? Our tank is 6 nodes deep and we have 2 nodes of water i.e. 1/3rd of a tank of water. Now with the next rainfall I can measure the amount of water in the rain gauge against the rise in the tank and work out how many mm's of rain we need to fill the tank. How handy is that? lol

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 4 months ago #447791 by spoook
Replied by spoook on topic Well how handy is that?
Great idea and so replaceable.

There are no bad questions only those that are not asked.
"You are responsible, forever, for what you have tamed"

More
11 years 4 months ago #447814 by Aquila
Replied by Aquila on topic Well how handy is that?
Provided you measure just before the rain and right after and use nothing between those measurements that would work.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

More
11 years 4 months ago #447821 by BlueSkyBee
Replied by BlueSkyBee on topic Well how handy is that?
Good idea! Might suss something like that out myself, as we have a bamboo problem, always keen for ideas to use the stuff constructively! :)

To dig in one’s own earth, with one’s own spade, does life hold anything better? –Beverly Nichols

More
11 years 4 months ago #447822 by Aquila
There is a formula to work out how much water you get from a mm of rain but you need too know how many square Meters of roof you have

More
11 years 4 months ago #447823 by Althea from Middelmost
I think it is 1 mm of rain on 1 square metre of roof gives you 1 litre of water ... or something like that ... actually that's enough thinking on this lovely hot afternoon!

More
11 years 4 months ago #447829 by jimminette
Replied by jimminette on topic Well how handy is that?

Althea from Middelmost;448042 wrote: I think it is 1 mm of rain on 1 square metre of roof gives you 1 litre of water ... or something like that ... actually that's enough thinking on this lovely hot afternoon!

With you on the thinking but you can keep your hot afternoon It's been misty ALL DAY - wants to rain but wont. Want rain. Looking at the brook that runs thru' the property and tempted to pump and treat that.

More
11 years 4 months ago #447837 by igor
Replied by igor on topic Well how handy is that?
One cubic metre equals one thousand litres. Therefore Althea's figuring is correct.

More
11 years 4 months ago #447844 by Aquila
Auckland has an average rainfall of 1240mm so 1240 litres per sq meter of roof area. So how big is your house? This will tell us how much water you can collect in a year (on average)

How big is your tank? Being a third fill we can work out how many mm's of rain you'd need to fill it.

More
11 years 4 months ago #447845 by Aquila
Auckland has an average rainfall of 1240mm so 1240 litres per sq meter of roof area. So how big is your house? This will tell us how much water you can collect in a year (on average)

How big is your tank? Being a third full we can work out how many mm's of rain you'd need to fill it.

More
11 years 4 months ago #447869 by jimminette
A - It can be pouring down in Warkworth and up towards Leigh it's brilliant sunshine and vica versa - B - have no idea of the roof size - C - got a big green tank - don't know the size other than it's 6 notches deep.

It's raining here at the moment but it's so light that it isn't even showing wet on the deck or ground. I think it's evaporating before it hits the ground.

More
11 years 4 months ago #447891 by Aquila
Do you know the floor size or you could pm me your address and I can look it up. Tank should have a compliance certificate on it showing the capacity

More
11 years 4 months ago #447898 by jimminette

Aquila;448115 wrote: Do you know the floor size or you could pm me your address and I can look it up. Tank should have a compliance certificate on it showing the capacity

Don't know the floor area - renting so don't have all the title details at all. I'll check the tank in the morning and see what it has on it. I've tried to find out but it's amazing how few people have intimate knowledge of water tanks seeing as all around has them. Thanks for your help. Talk to you tomorrow

More
11 years 4 months ago #447902 by Aquila
If you can't find anything then measure the tank and compare to www.tanks.co.nz/catalog/round-water-tanks/ for the capacity. Guess I'll be the tank guru then seeing I work for Bailey tanks

More
11 years 4 months ago #447965 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic Well how handy is that?
You also have to know how many of the downpipes are connected to the water catchment, which means lots of digging if you did not put the pipes in :-)
We have a just-over-tank-height length of 12x12mm square (was dowel but that didn't show the marks as well). It has a T made from wood at the top so that it cannot get dropped into the tank. It has litres marked on one side and cm on the other. Remember that the bottom few cm you cannot get the water out of, and the bottom of the overflow is not at the very top of the tank.

Time to create page: 0.146 seconds