Simkin Bows Out

More
11 years 3 months ago #447545 by Blueberry
Replied by Blueberry on topic Simkin Bows Out

Kate;447736 wrote: I'm sorry you feel that way Blueberry.

This forum is the great place it is for a few reasons. One is the input from knowledgeable people such as Simkin and Sue. Another is that the forum is as far as we can make it a supportive and non-aggressive place to post. We've all been to other forums which can best be described as feral - where members attack one another with impunity and those forums are not nice places to be. I have to draw the line somewhere and it's a difficult and thankless task.

Cheers
Kate

i very much agree, Kate, it's up to all of us to moderate our ton and not be aggressive towards posters. I just cannot, for the life of me, find any aggressive posts here. Only widely differing approaches and some ribbing addressed at Ruth for her perceived change of stance on whole grains. However, i do not know any of the posters personally, nor do i have knowledge (nor interest) in previous history. Up until Ruth complained about her ruined BD, it was information and opinions being traded.

Honestly, Kate, if Ruth had not complained about her BD being ruined, would you have felt compelled to act?

[;)] Blueberry
treading lightly on mother earth

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 3 months ago #447547 by Cinsara
Replied by Cinsara on topic Simkin Bows Out

Blueberry;447742 wrote: some ribbing addressed at Ruth

'Twas Sue not Ruth [;)]

>

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate!

More
11 years 3 months ago #447548 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic Simkin Bows Out
Wasn't even my birthday! But if you send me a cake, chocolate and a card, I'll let you off. [}:)] :D

More
11 years 3 months ago #447557 by Lindeggs
Replied by Lindeggs on topic Simkin Bows Out
Crikey! [:0] Very, very sad to see you go Simkin. But I look forward to chatting with you elsewhere.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Missing my lovely chooks

More
11 years 3 months ago #447567 by Blueberry
Replied by Blueberry on topic Simkin Bows Out

Ruth;447745 wrote: Wasn't even my birthday! But if you send me a cake, chocolate and a card, I'll let you off. [}:)] :D

[:I] - 'kay, what's your address?? :D :D

[;)] Blueberry
treading lightly on mother earth

More
11 years 3 months ago #447568 by missab
Replied by missab on topic Simkin Bows Out
simkin i think you leaving will be a huge loss not only for this site but for us 'not so experienced' chook folk,i have had chooks for around 3 years but still have soooo much to learn, you have given us alot of info over the years as has sue and it has been great to get both sides of the fence. hopefully we will hear from you again soon

3 equines (brendon,bellissimo and mariah), 6 wiltshire ewes + 4 ram lambs, 1 mini goat (pinky),1 berkshire sow (penelope), 20 odd chickens,6 sebastopol goslings, 3 flemish giant rabbits(bones,bounce,moon), longhaired guinea pig(splish)1 mastif (auto), 2 chihuahuas (mia,seeka),1 maincoon cat...

More
11 years 3 months ago #447569 by Novice
Replied by Novice on topic Simkin Bows Out

stephclark;447737 wrote: i too have just been through the whole thread.. and like Cinsara.. i found no insults, just people knowledgable and passionate about what they are saying...and having opposing opinions,..it all seems to have been blown out of proportion, where hurt was taken when none was meant..

thats my take on what i read this morning anyway...
most unfortunate outcome all round

I too agree with Cinsara. StephClark has summed up my exact thoughts on the matter. I found no insults but two knowledgable and passionate people having a difference of opinion. If people were not aloud to voice their opinion it would be a dictatorship.

I have read many of Sue's and Simkin's posts and have learnt a lot from them both. It is nice to get everybody's opinion and then make your own decision.

I can't thank Simkin enough for all her advice and will miss her posts.

More
11 years 3 months ago #447571 by kate
Replied by kate on topic Simkin Bows Out
Thank you.

Web Goddess

More
11 years 3 months ago #447576 by Woolpatch
Replied by Woolpatch on topic Simkin Bows Out
I would also like to add my thanks for all your great advise Simkin!

For my two cents worth just because someone takes offence does not mean any wrong was done. The thread in question does contain disproportionately more challenges to Sue's views but the whole debate needs to be taken in the context of the larger ongoing debate from other threads. There you will see Sue is far more critical of Simkin's views than anything received from the thread in question. If Simkin had responded with similar hurt would the roles have been reversed?

Bite sized text posts that are often read out of context and without any tone or body language will often cause offence when none was meant. Personally I think no action should have been taken, that said I do sympathise with Kate, it is a thankless job and I imagine there was a sense of obligation to act.

Simkin I hope you see all the support on here for you and when this blows over please don't feel you have to keep to your word about not coming back.

More
11 years 3 months ago #447577 by muri
Replied by muri on topic Simkin Bows Out
I havent read the thread, and dont read the chook threads normally, and have no intention of going back to see the rights and wrongs of a debate.
An infraction notice was sent, and Simkin CHOSE TO BOW OUT, her choice.
As kate said, not the first such notice, but not the last either.
Navel gazing and taking sides is so counterproductive, I think its great that Simkin is getting obviously deserved support and Ruth is getting a cake.
Always great to focus on the positive and move forward.

More
11 years 3 months ago #447578 by Woolpatch
Replied by Woolpatch on topic Simkin Bows Out
Trying to put things in a broader perspective is not the same as taking sides and is certainly not counterproductive.

More
11 years 3 months ago #447582 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic Simkin Bows Out
As long as I get my cake.

Please deliver in person to Diggers Valley, so we can share it. If you send it, the mail guy will "lose" it; I'll be able to tell by the crumbs on the other mail.

The dictator pays the bills on this place and keeps it going; she's also playing a long game. This site is a great resource which fortunately attracts people who know lots of stuff along with lots of people don't know it yet but want to learn. There are seldom questions which don't get answered. Even when I buggered off for a while, the questions didn't go unanswered (imagine!); we'll all be ok.

More
11 years 3 months ago #447588 by BlueSkyBee
Replied by BlueSkyBee on topic Simkin Bows Out
Hope to see you back sometime Simkin. Take care.

To dig in one’s own earth, with one’s own spade, does life hold anything better? –Beverly Nichols

More
11 years 3 months ago #447589 by Organix
Replied by Organix on topic Simkin Bows Out
If the outspoken are muzzled mediocrity will result.

Harm Less Solutions.co.nz
NZ & AU distributor of Eco Wood Treatment stains and Bambu Dru bamboo fabrics and clothing

More
11 years 3 months ago #447590 by Simkin
Replied by Simkin on topic Simkin Bows Out
Thank you all for the lovely posts. They are much appreciated.

Kate has deleted all my personal messages and has taken away this feature from me so I won't be able to read the two most recent messages that were in there. Another indication that I'm no longer welcome here.

Sorry - have to go public with these now:

Aquila - if you read this - I still want you to get the Tagasaste seedlings and seeds. I sent you my phone number before the ban so please give me a ring that we can make a time. (Maybe someone can send a pm on my behalf.)

I didn't want to put up Kate's account number publicly but here are the details of my deposit for friend of LSB:

To
06-0869-064****-00
Payee Name
Friend of LSB
Payment Date
02/04/2012
To appear on payee's statement:
Simkin
donation

(Particulars)
(Code)
(Reference)
Amount
$30.00

It's sad that Kate has no record of it.

Time to create page: 0.150 seconds