Simkin Bows Out

More
11 years 5 months ago #33780 by Simkin
Simkin Bows Out was created by Simkin
Kate, the owner of this web site, has made a commercial decision and served me with an infraction for 'insulting' Sue. For a couple of days I was banned from posting so the lack of posts from me - and possibly others - is not due to being 'thin-skinned' as Kate alleges.

I have been subjected to criticism from Sue right from my very first post back in September 2007 but have continued to post as I believe that newbies to poultry keeping should be able to read about a variety of options in regard to keeping and feeding their birds. Despite all the criticism I had the impression that I got along with Sue quite well, both in public and in private as I think that our different experiences - she with large scale commercial poultry keeping and I with keeping and breeding heritage poultry on a small scale in the current day, - complemented each other nicely.

Anyone who has followed the many poultry threads over the years will know what I stand for and this, combined with what has been said in the 'Poultry Food/Diet Question' thread will make it clear that Sue has decided to take umbrage with any alternate opinions.

It now has come to a point when simply reminding Sue of what she's been hammering in for years is considered as 'criticism' by Sue and 'insult' by Kate'.

As a consequence I have decided to bow out, with my ego slightly bruised but with my integrity intact.
I'd also like to mention that I made a 'Friend of LSB' donation of $30 on April 2nd, 2012, which for some unknown reason didn't earn me a 'Friend of LSB' leaf. This hadn't mattered to me before now, but I've decided to mention this before I leave.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 5 months ago #447481 by Simkin
Replied by Simkin on topic Simkin Bows Out
I'd like to take this opportunity to let everyone know that I have enjoyed my time here and I hope that my contributions of more than 7000 posts, many of them about my own experiences with feeding truly free range birds, breeding heritage poultry on a small scale and managing broody hens, have helped newbies to poultry keeping.

But most importantly, I'd like to thank the likeminded amongst you which I've engaged with and learnt a great deal from. I'm truly grateful for this experience.

I'll take a break from posting on a forum for a while but might meet some of you again, maybe on Poultrycentral, Backyard Poultry or TheCoop.

More
11 years 5 months ago #447483 by kate
Replied by kate on topic Simkin Bows Out
Hi Simkin

I'll be sorry to see you go. I didn't make a commercial decision, I gave you an infraction for breaking the forum rules by insulting another member. It's happened before and it will happen again. No-one is above the rules, not matter what.

This forum is a useful and helpful forum because while we don't moderate heavily, we do try to ensure that we keep to certain standards and one of them is that you can attack an opinion but not the person who expresses it.

I'm sorry about the Friends of LSB but I've just searched the database and no sale was made on that day and no sales record in your name.

Kate

Web Goddess

More
11 years 5 months ago #447498 by SarahM
Replied by SarahM on topic Simkin Bows Out
Simkin - I would just like to take the chance to thank you for your poultry advice over the last few years. I hope you will take a break and then perhaps return one day.

Sarah

5 acres, husband, daughter, son, me, about 12 sheep and their lambs, currently no ram (yay!), 2 Galloways, about 35 chooks, 3 cats and 2 budgies.

More
11 years 5 months ago #447516 by Trace
Replied by Trace on topic Simkin Bows Out
I'm not sure if you'll get to see this or not, but Simkin, I too would like to say thanks for all your help. I have enjoyed the balance between your comments and Sue's and feel that it gives us the reader the chance to have a 'wide' look at a particular issue and then make up our minds as to which way we go - that can only be a good thing. I hope I catch up with you on PC.

More
11 years 5 months ago #447526 by stephclark
Replied by stephclark on topic Simkin Bows Out
simkin .. i would like to also give you many thanks .. i totally agree that the differing views between Sue and yourself have been most helpful in giving a balanced view on subjects.. as you are both well informed on the chook subject but just coming from differing perspectives...
i too hope you come back as i always enjoy reading your posts.. you have an opinion and, when asked for it, are not afraid give it and to stand by it..

as Martin Luther King said.. if you dont stand for something, you will fall for anything..

keep well

steph

More
11 years 5 months ago #447528 by granny56r
Replied by granny56r on topic Simkin Bows Out
I too have valued all input from all knowledge systems.

Very sorry too see you go Simkin!

I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.
DOUGLAS ADAMS

More
11 years 5 months ago #447530 by Blueberry
Replied by Blueberry on topic Simkin Bows Out
Really really sorry to see you go, Simkin. I will keep contact with you though and keep you up to date with my little breeding programme. (I was going to post the first pics here, but will move that over to Poultry Central now)

[;)] Blueberry
treading lightly on mother earth

More
11 years 5 months ago #447535 by Cinsara
Replied by Cinsara on topic Simkin Bows Out

Kate;447676 wrote:
I'll be sorry to see you go. I didn't make a commercial decision, I gave you an infraction for breaking the forum rules by insulting another member. It's happened before and it will happen again. No-one is above the rules, not matter what.

This forum is a useful and helpful forum because while we don't moderate heavily, we do try to ensure that we keep to certain standards and one of them is that you can attack an opinion but not the person who expresses it.Kate

Well I've trolled through my comments on that fateful thread and I can't find any insults :confused: I can find contrary opinions and references to past sentiments, but no insults. I can find comments full of deference but again no insults, yet I was slapped with the same infraction as simkin. Maybe my comments weren't very clever, I should have worded them differently so the meaning was camoflagued but still clearly obvious, I guess I'll never know.

LBS will sorely miss you simkin, see you on the other sites [:o)]

>

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate!

More
11 years 5 months ago #447537 by kate
Cinsara you were not slapped with any infraction????

Web Goddess

More
11 years 5 months ago #447538 by Blueberry
Replied by Blueberry on topic Simkin Bows Out
i have only just read through the whole thread.

I'm disapointed, Kate - I think you were being biased.

[;)] Blueberry
treading lightly on mother earth

More
11 years 5 months ago #447539 by kate
I'm sorry you feel that way Blueberry.

This forum is the great place it is for a few reasons. One is the input from knowledgeable people such as Simkin and Sue. Another is that the forum is as far as we can make it a supportive and non-aggressive place to post. We've all been to other forums which can best be described as feral - where members attack one another with impunity and those forums are not nice places to be. I have to draw the line somewhere and it's a difficult and thankless task.

Cheers
Kate

Web Goddess

More
11 years 5 months ago #447540 by stephclark
Replied by stephclark on topic Simkin Bows Out

Blueberry;447735 wrote: i have only just read through the whole thread.

I'm disapointed, Kate - I think you were being biased.

i too have just been through the whole thread.. and like Cinsara.. i found no insults, just people knowledgable and passionate about what they are saying...and having opposing opinions,..it all seems to have been blown out of proportion, where hurt was taken when none was meant..

thats my take on what i read this morning anyway...
most unfortunate outcome all round

More
11 years 5 months ago #447541 by Cinsara
Replied by Cinsara on topic Simkin Bows Out

Kate;447734 wrote: Cinsara you were not slapped with any infraction????

Must have been a glitch then, when I hit the reply to post thread button I got a wordy box with a message saying something along the lines that I wasn't allowed to post at this time because ....... My ability to post anything on any thread returned about 24 hours later give or take.

>

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate!

More
11 years 5 months ago #447543 by Kiwi303
Replied by Kiwi303 on topic Simkin Bows Out
We'll miss you all, through I stopped watching the thread under discussion a while back, I like poultry, but the intricite mechanics is beyond my interests.

But I'm sure you will be missed.

You Live and Learn, or you don't Live Long -anon

Time to create page: 0.180 seconds