Milk filters

More
11 years 5 months ago #33686 by Crystika
Milk filters was created by Crystika
Hi can any one tell me where I can buy milk filters from. I am using coffee filters and they just aren't that good.
Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 5 months ago #446386 by igor
Replied by igor on topic Milk filters
I strain the milk of both cow and goats through a cloth placed inside a large funnel. Old tea towels or hand towels are good. Not new ones as they are too thick and absorbent resulting in a reduction in the amount of milk passing through. When a towel is about half worn out it becomes just right for straining milk. After use I rinse the cloth thoroughly and add the rinse water to the pigs' feed.

More
11 years 5 months ago #446389 by Kiwi303
Replied by Kiwi303 on topic Milk filters
RD1 has them, or Farmlands, or any of the milking supply shops. Try the yellow pages under "Farm supplies"

You Live and Learn, or you don't Live Long -anon

More
11 years 5 months ago #446414 by drifter
Replied by drifter on topic Milk filters

Kiwi303;446481 wrote: RD1 has them, or Farmlands, or any of the milking supply shops. Try the yellow pages under "Farm supplies"

And sometimes, usually around Julyish, they have part packets, because not all milking machines take the same size filter. So sometimes they do a deal where a Sharemilker can use part of an old packet as a trade in. The part packets are usually given away or dumped, it's just a marketing gimmick.

Strange how much you've got to know, Before you know how little you know.

More
11 years 5 months ago #446420 by goatmama
Replied by goatmama on topic Milk filters
Peternz on this forum and at cottage crafts sells them in 10 packs. We cut them into 4, stitch up the sides and use them with a preserves funnel. For just one cow, we rince them out and can make one quarter last a week. Very economical provided the cows teats are clean.

10 acres in sunny Southland. Husband and 3 boys. 17 Wilties, "Clucky quarters" 2 doz + chooks, rouen clair ducks, Coffee our Irish Terrier and Kaz and Mooch our wee Kitty's. Our Big White Shepherd, Nena. Bennie and Mo the moos
Prov 27:27

More
11 years 5 months ago #446429 by Crystika
Replied by Crystika on topic Milk filters

Kiwi303;446481 wrote: RD1 has them, or Farmlands, or any of the milking supply shops. Try the yellow pages under "Farm supplies"

I checked at Farmlands and they only sell filters for milking machines, I need some for hand milking.

More
11 years 5 months ago #446430 by Crystika

goatmama;446515 wrote: Peternz on this forum and at cottage crafts sells them in 10 packs. We cut them into 4, stitch up the sides and use them with a preserves funnel. For just one cow, we rince them out and can make one quarter last a week. Very economical provided the cows teats are clean.

thanks I have found his auction on Trade Me but he is only selling it with the stainless steel filter.

More
11 years 5 months ago #446445 by Kiwi303
Replied by Kiwi303 on topic Milk filters
the machine ones are round tubes, a pair of scissors will open it into a flat rectangle, more scissors makes a number of squares, even more scissors and you have circles...

You Live and Learn, or you don't Live Long -anon

More
11 years 5 months ago #446454 by Ronney
Replied by Ronney on topic Milk filters
Either do as Igor suggests which is both effective and cost effective, or go and buy a metre of baby muslin. Cut it a little wider than the width of your kitchen sieve and two (or three) times longer. Fold it into two (or three), sew or overlock the edges if you like being tidy, and there's your filter. They can be used and washed over and over again and occasionally soaked in bleach to remove any milkstone buildup.

Cheers,
Ronnie

More
11 years 5 months ago #446460 by Crystika
Thanks everyone for your advice I will give the machine filters a go, who would have thought a pair of scissors :) and if that doesn't work I'll try the muslin.

More
11 years 5 months ago #446463 by Althea from Middelmost
Replied by Althea from Middelmost on topic Milk filters
My vision is that you have handmilked your lovely cow and you want to strain the milk into your milk jug before you put it into the fridge. I have a tall two litre milk jug. I fold a large chux cloth into quarters, dampen it under the tap, put it over the top of the jug, push the centre down a little and pour the milk from the bucket into the jug. The chux cloth is then rinsed clean, has a bit of boiling water from the kettle thrown at it and it is hung up to dry. Use it for something else when you think it is time for a new chux cloth.

More
11 years 5 months ago #446477 by jimminette
Replied by jimminette on topic Milk filters

Althea from Middelmost;446562 wrote: My vision is that you have handmilked your lovely cow and you want to strain the milk into your milk jug before you put it into the fridge. I have a tall two litre milk jug. I fold a large chux cloth into quarters, dampen it under the tap, put it over the top of the jug, push the centre down a little and pour the milk from the bucket into the jug. The chux cloth is then rinsed clean, has a bit of boiling water from the kettle thrown at it and it is hung up to dry. Use it for something else when you think it is time for a new chux cloth.

To be honest - that would have been my first thought too. Good old Chux - bet they don't have that in there 'handy uses' list :D

More
11 years 5 months ago #446501 by drifter
Replied by drifter on topic Milk filters

Althea from Middelmost;446562 wrote: My vision is that you have handmilked your lovely cow and you want to strain the milk into your milk jug before you put it into the fridge. I have a tall two litre milk jug. I fold a large chux cloth into quarters, dampen it under the tap, put it over the top of the jug, push the centre down a little and pour the milk from the bucket into the jug. The chux cloth is then rinsed clean, has a bit of boiling water from the kettle thrown at it and it is hung up to dry. Use it for something else when you think it is time for a new chux cloth.

*cough* Well you know that's exactly what I do and I use them as cheese cloths as well.... and I have packets of filters at the cowshed[:I][:I]

Strange how much you've got to know, Before you know how little you know.

More
11 years 5 months ago #446503 by Crystika
It's my lovely EF sheep not a cow but yes hand milking etc. I had thought of chux cloth but wasnt sure if it was suitable :) thanks

More
11 years 5 months ago #446520 by homebirther1
Replied by homebirther1 on topic Milk filters
I use a clean hanky to strain our milk, it works well. Rinse out with hot water and boil it to freshen up :)

Time to create page: 0.157 seconds