Scours in 10 week calf

More
11 years 4 months ago #33666 by thevarneys
Calf is over 10 weeks old now and yesterday and today I noticed smelly grey runny poos in his overnight pen. He is with his mother during the day and is shut in a part of our race overnight. He has about a Litre jug of mooslie type food, but yesterday and today has not touched it.
He still runs and bounces and seems to be his usual self.
Shall I just keep an eye on it to see if it gets worse and his condition changes, or is there something I can give him to help him get better?

Some people are so poor, all they have is money.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 4 months ago #446154 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic Scours in 10 week calf
That's what I'd do. Some people will leap in with treatment suggestions.

Mine get Coccidiosis every year and unless they get sick with it, it just runs its smelly course.

More
11 years 4 months ago #446158 by Sue
Replied by Sue on topic Scours in 10 week calf
I would be tempted to just leave him and keep an eye on things. Ruth and I were going to do a thread on scours, especially in cow fed calves of which we both have lots of experience!

From my experience calves on their mothers seem to go through this phase in their early weeks. Sometimes I have treated, other times just left to see what happens.
It can be a combination of feed-say a lot more milk from the cow, the calf is eating a lot more grass, or a sudden bout of cold wet weather, which upsets their digestive process. In addition there may be some bacterial or viral involvement and also the parasite coccidiosis can play a hand too.

I took quite a lot of photos this year of the various types of poo! Yes the grey runny type, the very watery yellow type, the very dark chocolate type etc etc. This year I didn't treat any, and they seemed to get over it in a couple of days. I'm sure its a stage that most calves go though and either build up resistance unaided, or get sick enough to need treatment.

For one calf, in a mob of 40 odd cows and calves, it is hard to treat without getting the whole lot into the yards to catch it. If it is still too lively to catch in the paddock-they seem to get over it pretty quickly!

Interestingly I read an article not long ago about the benefits of milk on the gut lining, this was in regard to regeneration of the lining cells after a coccidiosis outbreak. OK it was in chickens, but I expect the same could apply to young mammals getting sufficent milk. I think I read that the accepted treatment for scours these days, along with a vet prescibed medication, is not to withdraw the milk, but feed electrolyte at a different time.

With scouring calves on their mothers it is virtually impossible to keep them away from milk for any length of time-especially when you don't milk the cow anyway-but I do notice sick calves may drink quite a bit of water.

Sue
Labrador lover for yonks, breeder of pedigree Murray Grey cattle for almost as long, and passionate poultry person for more years than I care to count.

More
11 years 4 months ago #446177 by thevarneys
Replied by thevarneys on topic Scours in 10 week calf
I did go away for a night on the weekend and told hubby to leave the calf on the cow. So he probaably did have a pig out on the milk bar!

More
11 years 4 months ago #446189 by cowvet
Replied by cowvet on topic Scours in 10 week calf

thevarneys;446249 wrote: I did go away for a night on the weekend and told hubby to leave the calf on the cow. So he probaably did have a pig out on the milk bar!

that would be enough to do it. As long as he is bright and alert and feeding then keep a close eye on him. The moment he is off feed or depressed looking then that is when you need to intervene.

I love animals...they're delicious

More
11 years 4 months ago #446193 by thevarneys
Thanks guys. :D

More
11 years 4 months ago #446201 by Louvainoftheland
Homeopathic Farm Support would have a remedy for you scouring calf. Homeopathics work well with animals and this organisation is super efficient. My son uses it on large dairy farm.

More
11 years 4 months ago #446206 by Ruth
You could treat it and it would get better in a couple of days ... or you could wait a couple of days. :)

More
11 years 4 months ago #446223 by cowvet
Replied by cowvet on topic Scours in 10 week calf

Ruth;446281 wrote: You could treat it and it would get better in a couple of days ... or you could wait a couple of days. :)

that is my most commonly recommmended herbal remedy...thyme treatment ;-) Giving them more thyme can be good or it could be bad. when and where to use it is where the skill comes in!

I love animals...they're delicious

More
11 years 4 months ago #446232 by Ruth
A couple of days will usually indicate which way it should go ...

More
11 years 4 months ago #446235 by thevarneys
today on the poo scale I noticed it more greenish. I only noticed cos the dog was licking the top off[xx(], and it was lighter grey on top and darker green inside.[xx(]
Disgusting dog, he got tied up anyway cos it was bedtime. :D

More
11 years 4 months ago #446255 by Sue
Replied by Sue on topic Scours in 10 week calf
The effect of sunlight or air on poo, when it is on the ground, often changes the colour from when it was first done!
The finding of large grey dollops on the ground can be disturbing!

Sue
Labrador lover for yonks, breeder of pedigree Murray Grey cattle for almost as long, and passionate poultry person for more years than I care to count.

More
11 years 4 months ago #446317 by FraSla
Replied by FraSla on topic Scours in 10 week calf
If it is quite grey he may be "self medicating" and eating dirt, a bit like dogs eating grass

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]I'm open minded and I'm looking to learn something everyday. [:D]

More
11 years 4 months ago #446334 by max2
Replied by max2 on topic Scours in 10 week calf
For me, at 10 weeks depending on what drenching Mum received during pregnancy/access to poplars etc i would seriously consider drenching for our bought in bobbies. I have been known to do it earlier too with excellent results.

they do go through a phase of not eating for a couple of days. i have always put that down to teething.

I have just taken 2 x 9 week olds off Mums. One of them was consuming approx. 25 litres per day off mum and eating little grass.

Both poos look normal and both are eating well, including the bought in mighty meal grower all get of a morning instead of morning milk now.

both mums get to check them over through a fence of an afternoon milking. The first few days were upsetting, but all seem settled with the idea now although I do have those 2 in with another 10 bobbies of the same age, raised here.

More
11 years 4 months ago #446336 by thevarneys
The only drenching I have given the cow was about 6 months ago, and was Genesis pouron, and only because her paddock mate was looking a bit scraggly (he is in the freezer now).
What do you drench your calves with?
I am intending to get his vacs from the vet, and also for the cow, as I am not sure what she had as a calf.

Time to create page: 0.142 seconds