Milking Machine...what do you think

More
11 years 4 months ago #33658 by thevarneys
www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=537496248

While we only have one cow at the moment, and I love milking her, we are tied here and can't take the kids to their grandparents in Auckland or go camping. So OH thought of a small machine, which means he could milk as well (his hands too big), and neighbours girl could help out if we went away.

In the future, once we have killed gorse (got the gorse spray now! yay!) and cut a few more titree, put on lime and grass seed, we will look at the possibility of getting a second cow, and between them raise a few calves, which might pay the rates each year.

I have looked and seen the brand shiny new ones, electric or petrol, 1 or 2 stand, but they start at over $2K, which will not really ever be justified on our small scale plot.

So, I have heard the older machines can be really good and reliable, is anyone familiar with this brand?

It closes tonight...

Some people are so poor, all they have is money.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 4 months ago #446071 by jimminette
Have you checked out the classifieds on this site under Machinery????

More
11 years 4 months ago #446094 by foufee
I will say straight out I know nothing of milking plants.... but it looks good.

3 phase motor would need to be replaced to suit single phase - unless you have 3 phase available

biggest reason I can see it has not been bid on is where they have listed it, that category is not one I would look for milking equipment in. For that price + a single phase motor I think it would be a good deal.

More
11 years 4 months ago #446095 by foufee
there is now a bid :) ( not me, just commenting that one happened while I was typing)

More
11 years 4 months ago #446114 by thevarneys
As it turned out it went for over $800 which is more than we had to spend. :)

Some people are so poor, all they have is money.

More
11 years 4 months ago #446534 by sod
We use a very old simple one that we have had for y e a r s only milks one at a time now which is ok. Just a motor/pump+cups+test bucket. Makes life so much better :) Wish you all the best with getting one, you will find one

Having time is a measure of enthusiasm:rolleyes:

More
11 years 4 months ago #446600 by RaeM1
Find someone with a dead milking shed, get the vacume pump, motor, and cups plus all the equiptment you can find in there, and build up your own plant, we did that 30 years ago, and made a really great set up, used to milk up to 3 cows with it, and it all ran throught a 1/2 inch alkathene pipe from the vacume plant, out to the bodmin claws, with their own pressure part, sorry dont remember what it was called, but the whole thing worked really well, could milk the cows up in the paddock, just behind a gate tied to the fence, so sold the whole thing for $300 about 9 years ago, and the plant is still in use today, and the owners think its better than any fancy set ups. But you will have to be prepared to pay up to $1500 for a good plant these days. The other thing you can do is keep the sharemilker on, so when you are not home the calf has free access to the cow, that also works!! Lock the calf up at night, milk the cow, then the calf runs with cow all day, and gets locked up at night, that way you end up with a fantastic calf, and you can take off the odd days with out worrying about milking a cow.

More
11 years 4 months ago #446726 by igor
Hah, RaeM1, alkathene? The dairy inspector would shut you down in a second. Just like he would me with no concrete in the shed. The old bodmin single pipeline system was good though. We used bodmins on the home place for many years. The part you are trying to think of the name for is probably the pulsator, which is on the claw in the bodmin system, or it might be the regulator.

Time to create page: 0.129 seconds