Goat milk questions

More
11 years 4 months ago #33636 by scottie
Goat milk questions was created by scottie
Hi everyone,
I have just taken ownership of my first dairy goats, two in-milk Toggenburgs. They endured a trip across Cook Straight on Tuesday, and I have been milking them night and morning since they arrived. I plan to milk them once a day, which is what they are used to, but am trying to practice my milking technique and keep their udders manageable (being a newbie to goat milking).
I have noted what everyone says about chilling the milk quickly, and have tried to do this (though I haven't tried a slicker pad in the bucket yet.)
I tried some of the chilled milk and although there was no after taste, the first mouthful still curled up the sides of my tongue! I really want the dairy goat thing to work as I find managing them and milking them so much more enjoyable than milking a cow, but I need to get to grips with the taste thing...any suggestions? Where do I buy a cobalt lick? I got an ordinary small salt lick from Farmlands but I'm assuming this is not specifically cobalt.
Any suggestions and advice greatly appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 4 months ago #445826 by Andrea1
Replied by Andrea1 on topic Goat milk questions
Congrats on the goats, especially the Toggies!!! :D

You can put yeast over their feed each day, 1 dessert teaspoon per day, and see if that helps after a while. However, there may be something more than that wrong if the milk tastes that strong, because it really shouldn't have a strong taste.

Fresh milk, right out of the goat, is quite lovely, sweet and light-tasting. I milk Toggs as well, and their milk is very mild.

What kind of milk are you used to drinking?

What sort of stuff are they grazing on?

As for minerals, they really do need a GOAT lick. I use Aakland Chemical's Wonderlick for Goats, and Essential Nutrition (based in Ashburton) does a goat lick as well. I'm afraid I don't know of outlets for GOAT licks in the North Island, but I'm sure both Aakland and Eessential Nutrition will freight, and a 25 kg bag should last you a 6-12 months with just 2 goats.

More
11 years 4 months ago #445840 by 3scoremiles10
Replied by 3scoremiles10 on topic Goat milk questions
Scottie, when I first got my two Togg girls (from Andrea) their milk tasted off for maybe a week. I think it was the stress of the move. Make sure they are getting enough minerals - I give mine free choice of seaweed meal and the goat lick Andrea mentioned, as well as supplemental copper and cobalt as we are in a deficient area. Copper you can find in the equine section of CRT, and cobalt you can order through them. I also give mine Agrisea in their water.

I wouldn't be worried at this stage about the taste of the milk - give them time to settle in :) Offer them some vegemite - the B vitamins will give them a boost. Also try mixing some magnesium oxide or dolomite in with their feed.

Good luck!

More
11 years 4 months ago #445845 by Andrea1
Just be really careful supplementing copper. You can poison them with it, so unless you really know what you're dealing with, it's best not to supplement apart from the loose mineral lick for goats and the seaweed meal.

More
11 years 4 months ago #445919 by scottie
Replied by scottie on topic Goat milk questions
Thanks guys, I will try some of those suggestions. The salt lick I bought from Farmlands was a solid block, but it sounds like you are talking about loose salt, is that right?
We are used to drinking raw cow's milk, jersey and dexter.
I will taste the milk again in a day or so and see what it's like. They are grazing pasture and i've fed them silver beet, willow and a mix of lucerne chaff, maize/barley/molasses.

More
11 years 4 months ago #446004 by goatmama
Replied by goatmama on topic Goat milk questions
Hi Scottie,
We have saanen goats that we milk at the moment also milking Meg- fresian jersey cross. Must say the cows milk wins for my husband and I hands down. One of the boys is dairy intolerant and milks the goat for the 3 of them. I just don't like the goatie after taste and she is only in her first lactation.

10 acres in sunny Southland. Husband and 3 boys. 17 Wilties, "Clucky quarters" 2 doz + chooks, rouen clair ducks, Coffee our Irish Terrier and Kaz and Mooch our wee Kitty's. Our Big White Shepherd, Nena. Bennie and Mo the moos
Prov 27:27

More
11 years 4 months ago #446020 by eelcat
Replied by eelcat on topic Goat milk questions
We prefer goats milk. We have jerseys as well, but our goats milk has no goat taste, whether from a first milker or one of our really old does. Our farm tour guests this afternoon tried it (from one of our older does) and were hooked.

1 Border collie, 1 Huntaway, 2 Lhasa Apsos, Suffolk and arapawa ewe crosses, an Arapawa ram,an East Friesian ewe , 5 cats, 42 ducks , 1 rooster and 30 hens, 5 geese, 12 goats, 2 donkeys, 2 house cows, one heifer calf, one bull calf, 3 rabbits and lots and lots and lots of fruit trees...

More
11 years 4 months ago #446037 by scottie
Replied by scottie on topic Goat milk questions
Well the taste is improving so I think it must have been partly the stress of the move. It is still not what I would call 'sweet'. It has quite a nutty flavour. I tried to make yoghurt with it last night using the method that I use for cows milk but this morning it is still not set. Any suggestions?
Thanks

More
11 years 4 months ago #446038 by Andrea1
Goat milk will never set up the way cow milk does for yoghurt. You can try a bulgaricus culture, and that should help a bit, but it will always be looser than cow milk yoghurt.

More
11 years 4 months ago #446057 by Toggie
Replied by Toggie on topic Goat milk questions
If you are interested in showing your new girls, there is a dairy goat show at the Dannevirke A&P show Saturday 2 Feb 13. Its low key, lots of fun and we accept goats registered with Premier and the NZDGBA.

More
11 years 4 months ago #446066 by sj413
Replied by sj413 on topic Goat milk questions
You could also try straining your yogurt to make it thicker. We use paper coffee filters in a funnel, but it ought to work with fine-weave muslin. The end result is a smaller amount of thick, Greek-style yogurt.

You're probably already doing this, but filtering the milk before chilling helps to reduce the chance of a strong flavor caused by unwanted bacteria.

More
11 years 4 months ago #446101 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic Goat milk questions
The goats milk that I have tried from a stress-free and weedless goat was very similar to bought full-cream cow milk.
One of the proteins in cows milk is casein. This coagulates when it gets into acid conditions, such as being made into cheese, yoghurt and junket. Goats milk has very little or no casein, thus when making cheese and yoghurt it theoretically will not get as thick as cows milk will.
Also, goats milk has more fat than cows milk, but because the composition and globule size are different, it tends to be harder to separate than cows milk (I think).

More
11 years 2 months ago #450429 by Atmospheric
Replied by Atmospheric on topic Goat milk questions
Can anyone enter? How do we enter? I cannot find a schedule for goats online

Time to create page: 0.134 seconds