Raspy Breathing - Cattle

More
11 years 4 months ago #446188 by cowvet
Replied by cowvet on topic Raspy Breathing - Cattle

daerfamily;446247 wrote: Well he is sounding alot better, though still very slightly rattly but nowhere near as bad as Friday! I am thinking of getting anothe dose of ab .. would this work? Also I have a question. Does it matter where you inject the abs? We did it in the muscle in the neck but can you do it in the bum? No coughing at all, hardly any noise coming from him when he breathes.

he needs more antibiotics (what is the one he is on?). These should be injected in the neck...some injections leave nasty scar tissue and grissly bits and you don't want these in a good meat area....ESPECIALLY if he is going through the commercial meat system.
If you jab it in the butt (and you don't have him in a good yard) then be prepared for the possibility of weeks off work with a shattered kneecap or broken leg ;-)
No excuse not to do it in the neck if he is going back to the neighbours yards. All injectible animal remedies( with the exception of an extreme few) should be done in the upper half of the neck

I love animals...they're delicious

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 4 months ago #446242 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic Raspy Breathing - Cattle
There are very few antibiotics (and vaccines) that can be overdosed, so it is almost always better to overdose these than to not give enough. You want to kill all the bad bugs, especially the ones that have had not quite enough a/b to kill them. If they are not killed then they will be resistant to that a/b, and you will have a problem for years to come.

More
11 years 4 months ago #446313 by max2
Replied by max2 on topic Raspy Breathing - Cattle
I am happy I bought the 2nd jab. I just found our invoice and it was Excede LA 100ml.

Our steer is picking up well, cannot hear it breathing from a distance now, has a little cough now and then but in the last week of walking around it daily, I have only heard it once.

No raspy breathing. And no re-occurance in other stock.

More
11 years 4 months ago #446326 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic Raspy Breathing - Cattle

cowvet;445797 wrote: You and I are probably two of the few people that will tell posters what they need to be told...rather than what they want to hear....and probably two of the most experienced cattle people on here for that matter!

Ahem!

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
11 years 4 months ago #446346 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic Raspy Breathing - Cattle
Yeah, what? [}:)]

More
11 years 4 months ago #446370 by daerfamily
Replied by daerfamily on topic Raspy Breathing - Cattle
Cowvet I was just wondering if it made a difference where you injected it, that's all. We will for sure use the yards again, how helpful our neighbours are!

Got the second dose, she upped it to 50mL from 40mL he will get it on Saturday morning, 7 days apart. She told me it was tetracyline. This brings back memories of my days at Uni in the microbiology lab lol.

More
11 years 4 months ago #446593 by daerfamily
Replied by daerfamily on topic Raspy Breathing - Cattle
All done, though admittedly I couldn't hear him breathing funny at all today lol, but glad he got a second dose! However, I will not be using those vets again, the other one we used is MUCH cheaper! Nevermind, at least all is well and hopefully he's on the mend for good now and we can just get on with other things!

More
11 years 4 months ago #446822 by Webby
Replied by Webby on topic Raspy Breathing - Cattle
We had a cow like that, thought it was pneumonia and I think it turned out to be woody tongue, which I believe is an infection of the tongue, you did the right thing by getting a vet but it is still good to get thoughts from other people

Time to create page: 0.122 seconds