Raspy Breathing - Cattle

More
11 years 4 months ago #445894 by cowvet
Replied by cowvet on topic Raspy Breathing - Cattle
When injecting cattle in the upper half of the neck then a head bale is essential for anything other than a comatose animal...for your safety. Bad idea to put your arms through railing to inject..and also a bad idea to go over the top unless the head is restrained.

whether you need one at your home depends on what animals you are going to have. Walking 100m down the road to the neighbours in the middle of the night with a calving cow is probably not an option but if you are just going to grow out beefies then night time emergencies will be few and far between and the accessibility to the neighbours yards makes it an option if one needs antibiotic treatments for a week.

I love animals...they're delicious

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 4 months ago #445895 by muri
Replied by muri on topic Raspy Breathing - Cattle
our local club banded together and bought a portable headbale that we can all hire for a minimal fee, no good in an emergency if you need something immediately, but a good compromise where you can anticipate something, as in this case the vets visit.
I think they got it down at field days
good yards haven stressed on heaps of threads, keeping humans safe when working with the animals is of key importance. They dont have to be top of the line, just safe

More
11 years 4 months ago #445901 by daerfamily
Replied by daerfamily on topic Raspy Breathing - Cattle
Back home, what a superstar steer I have, well done Cole! No problem, just plodded on down, injected, and walked home again! We will only ever have beefies.

My stepdad will come down in Jan and we shall get onto it.

Thanks everyone.

More
11 years 4 months ago #445923 by max2
Replied by max2 on topic Raspy Breathing - Cattle
We have an old steel headstall type of arrangement in our yards and plan on purchasing in the new year one of those devices that self shuts as the bovine walks into it.

From my experience you do need some sort of head restraint. We just had the vet (as previously mentioned) do some de-horning for us, and even then we still had the head tied to one side (me holding the wrapped end). It was a three person job even then.

We regularly handle our animals and they are known in the area as being very quiet. but any work such as oral drenching, nutting, etc they need to be contained. Each animal is very individual, I just sent 10 to store on thursday and out of those 10, if anyone was going to go in the wrong direction to the yards two of them would have despite having the same treatment and handling as the others.

More
11 years 4 months ago #445933 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic Raspy Breathing - Cattle
With our headbale the cow is able to move backwards, forwards and up and down a bit, about 100mm each direction. The cows that I can inject in the neck can be injected in the race. Those that can't be injected in the race cannot be injected into the upper neck, because they move too fast and too forcefully against the headbale rails.
None of the easily available timber would be strong enough for my cows. One lifted the 100kg headbale that I have off it's gudgeons and charged around the yards with the bale around it's neck. I've since bolted the bale onto the gudgeons, but at times have wondered if they would hold against the strength of the 2 year old bull.
I use the headbale for tagging cattle and calves, dehorning, treating eyes, and for mothering calves onto cows. I could do most of those things with a $40 bull nose grip. So when building the yards plan to have a headbale at some stage, but buy a nose grip until you can afford the bale.
l

More
11 years 4 months ago #445945 by Sue
Replied by Sue on topic Raspy Breathing - Cattle
l
LR, if a person hasn't got a head bale or suitable confining yards and race, I doubt their ability to put in a nose grip, especially to a large cow or steer, and especially the second time!

It is now a rule that all females, yearling and older are led by a nose clip at Shows (of course bulls must have a permanent nose ring) We always train calves to have a nose grip put in from about 5 months of age, even so after the first couple of times it can be a struggle.
When the rule came in and we had cows that had them in for the first time-it became a serious health and safety issue between handler and beast to get them in, especially without first confining said animal-which is virtually impossible once you are at the show and in their head flinging can easily crush the handler in a corner of a stall!
Luckily the rule first said "MAY be led by a nose clip", then it went to "SHOULD be led by a nose clip" and now most shows state, "all females MUST" be led by a nose clip"!
So that gave us all a period of grace to train the up and coming females-its still a battle of wits to get them in at times though!

And one of the first tips with head bales-, don't have them hinged so the animal can lift them off the gudgeons in the first place! ;-)

Sue
Labrador lover for yonks, breeder of pedigree Murray Grey cattle for almost as long, and passionate poultry person for more years than I care to count.

More
11 years 4 months ago #445951 by daerfamily
Thinking about a head bail for sure!

Just out of interest, how long do you think until we some some improvement in him? It has been 24 hours, the vet said give him 3 days if he is still kind of rattling then come back for more drugs. Should we see some slight improvement today?

More
11 years 4 months ago #445953 by max2
In our case ours peaked about a week after the vets visit and jabs.

About a fortnight after the vets visit, she was out to do the de-horning and she checked the steer over when we had them all penned up and she felt the raspyness had moved upwards, not so much in the chest.
We had earlier considered that perhaps when drenching the gun might have caused some damage (miss E is having a go at drenching animals but we were not positive this could be it) but by the vets 2nd visit, this seemed to be discounted.

Over the following 48 hours, the steer appeared to me to lose condition and interest in eating and the breathing seemed to go back to what it was, more lung situated.

At one point I was sure SOH was going to have to get the gun out but that afternoon when I showed SOH the steer, he was back eating and looking better! I contacted the vet and purchased another dose which we have given and he seems a lot better than before. Our vet said it can take some time and a couple of doses for them to get over lung issues.

Darn animals!!!!

More
11 years 4 months ago #445962 by cowvet
Replied by cowvet on topic Raspy Breathing - Cattle
I would be expecting to signs of improvement after 24 hours on the antibiotics. What did the vet say when she listened to the lungs...and did she check the laryngx and upper nasal area? Sometimes if the breathing is noisy it is from constriction/damage/foreign body/damage in the upper airway.
Any coughing?

I love animals...they're delicious

More
11 years 4 months ago #445983 by daerfamily
She said it was probably pneumonia, and that if there was still some raspy breathing in 3 days time he will need a second dose. She then said if it wasn't pnuemonia then it is probably an allergy!? She was very vague to be honest and didn't really help answering my questions!

I would say he's very slightly better just now, so hoping he's even better when I check him in the morning. He's up, eating, drinking etc and just being normal, though a little hot as it's nearly 30deg out there today! We have put them by a tree so they have loads of shade, they seem to be just lying about lol. He's been chewing his cud for a while and still looks like he's in normal condition.

More
11 years 4 months ago #445987 by daerfamily
Oh and hadn't noticed any coughing until today, when I saw him cough just the once, is that a good sign?

More
11 years 4 months ago #446003 by max2

daerfamily;446036 wrote: She said it was probably pneumonia, and that if there was still some raspy breathing in 3 days time he will need a second dose. She then said if it wasn't pnuemonia then it is probably an allergy!? She was very vague to be honest and didn't really help answering my questions!

I felt the same, but as you and I are both having the same responses and I am happy with the progress of my steer, I think it must be a minefield for a vet to try and diagnose this type of problem....

But ours is doing very well, putting on condition and not having any drama with drawing breath. No noise, nothing. Just another growing yearling now.

I am happy I bought the 2nd jab and feel the right thing has been done all round.

More
11 years 4 months ago #446043 by daerfamily
Thanks Swaggie. Have just been out to check him, he doesn't sound any worse and I couldn't hear any raspiness when he was breathing, he was lying down, but it did look as though he had a blocked nose and only half the air was getting in, he was breathing through his nose and it just sounded like a kid with a cold!?!

More
11 years 4 months ago #446104 by cjcallum
Replied by cjcallum on topic Raspy Breathing - Cattle
no, no you dont. I work on a dairy farm, we have a crush but have often jumped up into the grain trough, infront of the cow and oral drenched amoung other things. Possably not how ACC would tell you to go about it works. I could imagine you could design a home made one anyway if need be. A wooden V with a toprail on a strong hinge and a rope to tie it down...?

farmer brown

More
11 years 4 months ago #446176 by daerfamily
Well he is sounding alot better, though still very slightly rattly but nowhere near as bad as Friday! I am thinking of getting anothe dose of ab .. would this work? Also I have a question. Does it matter where you inject the abs? We did it in the muscle in the neck but can you do it in the bum? No coughing at all, hardly any noise coming from him when he breathes.

Time to create page: 0.191 seconds