Raspy Breathing - Cattle

More
11 years 4 months ago #33624 by daerfamily
We are getting the vet out tomorrow, she is coming in the afternoon, just wondering if anyone had any thoughts.

One of our steers (approx 14 mo) ... is breathing rather oddly, noticed it a few days ago and today it sounded pretty terrible, like he couldn't really breathe properly! I have just been out in the rain to check him and he doesn't sound any worse, but defo not any better.

He LOOKS great, shiny coat, healthy body, munching and drinking like there's no tomorrow. Just his breathing is quite chesty sounding, like a child with a bad cough that needs to expel phlegm.

We drenched a few weeks ago.

He is going to be very very hard to restrain (as we have no yards etc here and the neighbours only have one for sheep - will that do or will he just jump over it!?) .... we have a purpose built shelter that is 2m x 2m with a gate on the front which we will put him in (hopefully alone with the others not following him into the new paddock with fresh grass!) .... and shut the gate ... but I imagine the vet will need to listen to his chest!

On our list of things to do ... is building something that will enable us to deal to this in the future ... but in the meantime we are stuck with our method!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 4 months ago #445662 by cowvet
Replied by cowvet on topic Raspy Breathing - Cattle
could be a number of things...which is why a vet visit is a good idea. Why would getting suggestions from someone who can't even see the animal be helpful?

I love animals...they're delicious

More
11 years 4 months ago #445668 by daerfamily
Replied by daerfamily on topic Raspy Breathing - Cattle
Out of interest, opinions are always good.

More
11 years 4 months ago #445669 by max2
Replied by max2 on topic Raspy Breathing - Cattle
I have one of those too, and ours started after drenching. Mind you, the other stock are fine so I don't think the drench had anything to do with it, just timely that we noticed.

We got our vet out initially as the animal seemed to be losing condition and she again checked the animal when back to do some de-horning about a fortnight later. More rattlely in the top region than the bottom, and last week I picked up another dose of penicillin (I think it was, white in colour) and we brought the lot up to our yards and gave the additional dose.

Our vets words were that lung infections can take a wee while to clear and the secondary dose was recommended.
We go through an annual ''interview'' or at least our vets assess our contact with them and give us the green light to stock certain items and also give certain drugs when necessary based on that information, so we were able to give that needle ourselves. Please ask your vet about this when they visit as it is such a cost saver. I can email mine anytime and know I will get a response the following business day and also talk over the phone with the vet.

I know our vet account for the month will be huge for lots of reasons, but the learning curve for us is there from the visits and as much as we love eating beef, we don't like to see our animals crook either.

Yards are a must. There are many reasons to contain an animal, you have one of them.

all the best.

More
11 years 4 months ago #445676 by daerfamily
Thanks Swaggie (again!). It sounds like we really are going down the same road lol. We will build yards etc next year my stepdad is a builder and he is coming down in the new year, at least we wont have to pay money to someone else to do it, and he gets the timber cheap as he has an account at ITM!

So I will take on board what you suggest re asking to stock medicines etc. It probably is a lung infection from what it sounds like to me. He is otherwise healthy and just now I saw him 'playing' with one of our 6 month olds! So your vet gave penicillin initially I take it?

Be interesting to see what the diagnosis is tomorrow!

More
11 years 4 months ago #445679 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic Raspy Breathing - Cattle

daerfamily;445698 wrote: ...Be interesting to see what the diagnosis is tomorrow!

It could well be: take two loads of yard timber and poles, a plan and a builder and call me in a month!

Gotta have yards before you have cattle, for exactly this sort of problem!

Is there a neighbour with yards anywhere near by? If your animal gets stressed while the vet is checking, it could be up and over anything short or flimsy.

More
11 years 4 months ago #445684 by cowvet
given that you can hear the breathing it could also be something other than the lungs.. necrotic laryngitis would be one possibility...amongst many others. Opinions won't give you a diagnosis and appropriate treatment which is what the animal needs.
As you can probably gather all this random guesswork stuff and 101 opinions without seeing this particular animal sort of get my goat!

Given that I am probably the most experienced with cattle disease and i am not prepared to give you an ''opinion'' must tell you something ;-)

More
11 years 4 months ago #445686 by cowvet

Ruth;445701 wrote: It could well be: take two loads of yard timber and poles, a plan and a builder and call me in a month!

Gotta have yards before you have cattle, for exactly this sort of problem!

Is there a neighbour with yards anywhere near by? If your animal gets stressed while the vet is checking, it could be up and over anything short or flimsy.

It might just get a poke of penicillin in leau of listening to the lungs...then again it could be something else because if there are no yards how are they going to inject ongoing treatments.. Ruth - you are so right...a good place to contain them is essential when examining and treating them!
In this case the vet may well have to select something long acting and expensive..... there are some really long acting antibiotics on the market but they are expensive.

More
11 years 4 months ago #445689 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic Raspy Breathing - Cattle
Cattle can jump a normal height steel gate from standing, without touching the gate. If the steer knows about electric tapes, use that to surround him and persuade him into the shed. It would be better to get rather more than 2 cattle into the shed if you can. After they are in the shed, suspend the hotwire above the gate, even if it has no power, to make the gate seem higher.

More
11 years 4 months ago #445695 by max2
Replied by max2 on topic Raspy Breathing - Cattle
A contained animal is a must. Mine are regularly handled and quiet, but do not like that sort of invasive treatment as would neither my dogs nor house cat. But I think that lesson has been learned in this instance.

Daerfamily, as one of the 101 opinions, and as our vet very thoroughly checked over our beast, one of the things also to consider is if you have introduced new stock to the property or even a neighbouring property. As we haven't, and neither have our neighbours, it was easily discounted as an introduced problem/disease.

However I think we are all already in agreeance that daerfamily is doing the right thing by having the vet around tomorrow.

Its nice to be able to discuss other experiences in the meanwhile.[^]

More
11 years 4 months ago #445701 by daerfamily
You are under no obligation to comment. I am not stupid, hence the vet call, I actually have a PHD, just not in this area. As I said in my original post, our neighbour has yards and they use them but only for sheep.

Thanks LR and Swaggie.

More
11 years 4 months ago #445708 by cowvet
I never insinuated you were stupid. Asking for opinions on an animal that no-one has seen is a bit pointless (and that is the only opinion I have expressed!).

If your PhD is in meteorology then I would liken it to asking Ken Ring for his opinion on the weather!

More
11 years 4 months ago #445712 by daerfamily
I am a qualified engineer.

No further comment please.

More
11 years 4 months ago #445726 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic Raspy Breathing - Cattle
I insist on commenting that you didn't thank me for my useful comment.

I'm quite contrary.

More
11 years 4 months ago #445769 by cowvet

Ruth;445749 wrote: I insist on commenting that you didn't thank me for my useful comment.

I'm quite contrary.

You and I are probably two of the few people that will tell posters what they need to be told...rather than what they want to hear....and probably two of the most experienced cattle people on here for that matter!

Time to create page: 0.151 seconds