Missing hens - Kerikeri

More
11 years 4 months ago #445727 by BillyTheTractor
so sorry to hear about your chooks :(
I don't know if you're on facebook at all, but there's a very active group with mostly Kerikeri and surrounding area people on it.

www.facebook.com/groups/203152966467588/

I could post something on it for you if you'd like?

Wee Farm

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 4 months ago #445731 by Simkin
Replied by Simkin on topic Missing hens - Kerikeri

kai;445745 wrote: Am I understanding this correctly, people chop of their chickens toes just so they can identify them?

No - it's called 'toe punching' and what's being done is punch a hole in the web between the toes. It's only a tiny hole - very similar to punching a bit out of the ear of a lamb to mark its birth year.

More
11 years 4 months ago #445748 by Alan Gilbert
Welcome to Kerikeri! It really is a lovely area, and the locals are mostly honest folk. We have been at Kerikeri Inlet for three years now, and just love it.
Sorry to hear about your birds. I do hope you get some help with catching the thieves.

More
11 years 4 months ago #445897 by Lindeggs
Replied by Lindeggs on topic Missing hens - Kerikeri
Here's a photo I took a while ago of Sylvia's toes!

She was just a young pullet when I took this pic, and since then one of the punch holes has torn through so now it's more of a gap in the webbing rather than a hole. I think of it like having my ears pierced.

Attached files
File Attachment:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Missing my lovely chooks

More
11 years 4 months ago #445898 by Lindeggs

BillyTheTractor;445750 wrote: so sorry to hear about your chooks :(
I don't know if you're on facebook at all, but there's a very active group with mostly Kerikeri and surrounding area people on it.

www.facebook.com/groups/203152966467588/

I could post something on it for you if you'd like?

I don't use facebook so it would be great if you could post something on there for me. Thank you for the kind offer.

Alan Gilbert;445773 wrote: Welcome to Kerikeri! It really is a lovely area, and the locals are mostly honest folk. We have been at Kerikeri Inlet for three years now, and just love it.
Sorry to hear about your birds. I do hope you get some help with catching the thieves.

Thanks Alan, we really love it here too. This small incident won't spoil it for us. We're intending to spend many happy years here, so I might see you around!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Missing my lovely chooks

More
11 years 4 months ago #445902 by BillyTheTractor

Lindeggs;445933 wrote: I don't use facebook so it would be great if you could post something on there for me. Thank you for the kind offer.

will do :D I'll let you know if anyone replies.

I'll copy your initial post if that's ok.

Wee Farm

More
11 years 4 months ago #445913 by Simkin
Replied by Simkin on topic Missing hens - Kerikeri

Lindeggs;445932 wrote: Here's a photo I took a while ago of Sylvia's toes!

She was just a young pullet when I took this pic, and since then one of the punch holes has torn through so now it's more of a gap in the webbing rather than a hole. I think of it like having my ears pierced.

... you should add that when the punching is done the hole is tiny but grows with the chick.

More
11 years 4 months ago #445930 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic Missing hens - Kerikeri
Simkin, Funny you should call it punching. A ticket collector, clips tickets. Usually a shaped hole. I'd see it as the same kind of operation, hence the use of toe clipping.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
11 years 4 months ago #446197 by Lindeggs
I've just ordered some North Holland Blue and Barnevelder pullets to replace my lost girls. The breeder offered to lend me a very ferocious rooster in the meantime, in case the culprits return. Now that could be fun! :D

Unfortunately I don't think the neighbours would appreciate him so I declined the offer.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Missing my lovely chooks

More
11 years 4 months ago #446199 by Deanna
Replied by Deanna on topic Missing hens - Kerikeri
And there I was hoping you'd found your birds. Oh well. I hope you have a better time with these, bearing in mind, they will expect you to replace them, take care.

25 acres, 1400 Blue Gums, Wiltshire sheep, 5 steers, 2 cows, ducks, chickens, bees, dog, cats, retired, 1 husband and 3 grandkids.

More
11 years 4 months ago #446238 by thevarneys
Replied by thevarneys on topic Missing hens - Kerikeri
Hi and sorry about the bad welcome to Kerikeri. I hope your hens turn up.
I will keep an eye out too, we often go tot the park and someone may have let them go there for a prank.
I do know a lady in Kerikeri who also breeds those types of birds (as oppossed to Hylines or Shavers, which you can also get here).

Some people are so poor, all they have is money.

More
11 years 4 months ago #446264 by Lindeggs

Deanna;446272 wrote: And there I was hoping you'd found your birds. Oh well. I hope you have a better time with these, bearing in mind, they will expect you to replace them, take care.

Yes I've been thinking the same thing about the culprits expecting us to replace the chooks. The classic case of the burglars coming back as soon as you've replaced your TV after their last visit! But I decided that I don't want to be chookless, and I'm not going to let fear of chook rustlers rule my life! [B)]

thevarneys;446315 wrote: Hi and sorry about the bad welcome to Kerikeri. I hope your hens turn up.
I will keep an eye out too, we often go tot the park and someone may have let them go there for a prank.
I do know a lady in Kerikeri who also breeds those types of birds (as oppossed to Hylines or Shavers, which you can also get here).

Interesting thought about someone letting the chooks go at the park... I might take their favourite food bowl and visit the park this afternoon. I know I would recognise my chooks if I saw them, and even if they didn't recognise me, they would definitely recognise their food bowl! [;)]

Perhaps you could send me a PM with the name of the local lady who breeds chooks? I would love to get hold of some Light Sussex pullets for my new flock. I haven't found them to be the best layers but they are just big, beautiful birds and I love seeing them pottering about on the lawn. :)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Missing my lovely chooks

More
11 years 1 month ago #454664 by Lindeggs
*Sigh*

Update: Got eight new pullets just after Christmas. Yesterday the neighbour's dog killed five of them. The three remaining chooks and I are moping today, feeling very sad about the whole thing. :(

Have made an appointment to talk to the dog control guy tomorrow morning and decide what to do next.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Missing my lovely chooks

More
11 years 1 month ago #454675 by igor
Replied by igor on topic Missing hens - Kerikeri
No question here. Shoot the dog.

More
11 years 1 month ago #454676 by katieb
Replied by katieb on topic Missing hens - Kerikeri
did the dog come onto your property or did they go to neighbours?

Animals rule our place... cows, calves, sheep, goats, pigs, horses, donkeys, chickens, ducks... the list goes on
...."lifestyle block like" 25 or so acres around the house attached to a rather large farm with dairy drystock & a 600 cow dairy conversion :)....1500 acres to call home

Time to create page: 0.147 seconds