Having a hard time this year

More
11 years 4 months ago #445698 by max2
Replied by max2 on topic Having a hard time this year
Daerfamily, if you are having to pay additional PAYE tax for bonuses (and I don't quite understand that as my SOHs part time employer also pays twice yearly bonuses and has to pay the appropriate tax rate at the time) and you are now setting aside for that, why not open an offset account for your mortgage where you can ''park'' those amounts and they offset some of the interest on your mortgage rather than earn it?

I am with the BNZ for our mortgages and they certainly do it with a revolving credit loan.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 4 months ago #445705 by 4trees
Replied by 4trees on topic Having a hard time this year
Hi,sorry things have been a bit tough for you and others at present. Just remember that as time goes on things tend to get better, and each year you can make it through you will be a little further ahead with the Mortgage. As others have said let the folk that are owed money know, I am in business and I have sympathy for the folk who phone or write and let me know the situation. I had one person who paid a dollar a week for several months in good faith, thencleaned the debt up in about a month a little further down the track. Most firms will be sympathetic if you explain, and offer them something. Cheers and good luck-Hope the party will be fun for the kids.

Cheers
http:treeandshrub.co.nz

More
11 years 4 months ago #445707 by Stikkibeek
Instead of bark for your garden, see if you can tap into a local tree shredding firm. Sometimes they are only too happy to dump a load of shreddings for free, especially if they have to pay tip fees. Only down side, is you have to wait for it to go through its cooking stage, but it is just as good as bark, long term.

For extra expenses at Christmas, the local supermarket you use should have a Christmas club. Too late for this year I know, but could be worth considering for next. Even a small regular contribution, what you can afford, will soon mount up and be a bonus at Christmas. Don't get sucked into those Chrisco type ones though. You end up paying twice as much as the goods cost. Supermarket ones are dollar for dollar value.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
11 years 4 months ago #445729 by kcouper
Some fantastic suggestions here. I like to live frugally and not waste anything, the only other suggestions I have are to increase your grocery shopping cycle if you can I have gradually stretched our "fortnightly" shop to almost three weeks and it has increased the amount we spend by only $20 - very economical .
The other thing I have not seen suggested that I do, is turn off everything I can at the wall. Everything that has a light or can be turned on just with a remote is using power all the time. The television/DVD use heaps of power, even when they are not "on". I also once checked the reading lamps that we had four of, only to find that when switched off at the lamp rather than the wall they were using 18w all the time! 1kwH (1000w used for an hour) costs around 25cents, it all adds up.

More
11 years 4 months ago #445735 by judes
Replied by judes on topic Having a hard time this year
The 'Shotz' brand of washing powder, dishwash liquid etc is a very good buy from the red shed, also the 200g jar of coffee is very cheap and when they are on special the prices are really good!

Jude
Don't get your knickers in a knot; it solves nothing and makes you walk funny.

More
11 years 4 months ago #445737 by alpac
Replied by alpac on topic Having a hard time this year
Speaking washing powder, next time you need a new washing machine, get a front loader, saves heaps of water AND uses about 1/3 of washing powder AND is less damaging the clothes.

More
11 years 4 months ago #445811 by The Kats Place
there are some things that I just can not economise on. These things being coffee, shampoo, toilet paper, and washing liquid (laundry and dishes) I have just found that the really cheap options are shite. While I'm certainly now wastful with these products I also feel you just don't regret buying quality in the things that you really enjoy.

kats
Live your life in such a way that it will be easy for people to say nice things at your funeral [;)]

More
11 years 4 months ago #445813 by feedqueen
can you sell anything? In times of financial stress I always manage to find something to sell on Trade Me. Old clothes, books, excess furniture etc. Have a look around and see what you never use. What about your baleage, can you sell that, theres lots of good hay around at the moment that people want to get out of their sheds before this years cut. Have bought a few loads myself at $3 a bale, lovely stuff will be fine for next winter , as dont want another big baleage bill again this year. Can you car pool at least a couple of days a week or work in with a neighbour or friend to go into town ,kids sports etc? You can save money on car regos , rucs etc by going on line and doing it yourself as it is cheaper. Have you a talent for baking, growing things etc that you could sell at a market or share a stall with someone? If you are looking for work round your area there seems to be a demand for oven cleaners, house cleaning etc. Baking fresh bread or giving lessons of some sort?What about offering a service over Christmas to look after a dog or two, keeping an eye on somebodys place or lawns tidy whilst they are away or whatever. A mailbox drop locally could be fruitful. it is tough i know,all the best.

More
11 years 4 months ago #445832 by 3scoremiles10
Things I've done that save money:

* get longsuffering partner to cut my hair
* use baking soda instead of shampoo: I use about 1 tsp of baking soda and mix it up with some water into a paste, then apply to the roots of my hair. I use ACV diluted 50/50 in water to rinse. My hair and scalp have never been so healthy and it's cheap as chips.
* use the oil cleansing method for facial cleansing and moisturising, here is a good description:
simplemom.net/oil-cleansing-method/
Again, cheap as and my skin loves it.
* Go to Savemart for clothes - I hardly ever buy new clothes, just undies really. Savemart has a lot of new and near new stuff, and is also great for kids clothes.
* Secondhand stores in general are a good resource.

I also think you should revisit the kids pocket money. Why do they get pocket money - because they have pockets? I would be inclined to just stop giving them pocket money as they are still so young and what do they need it for? If you don't want to do that, stuff like fancy breakfast cereal or trendy clothes should come out of their pocket money, as well as ice creams and sweeties etc.

The most precious thing you can give your kids, I think, is your time and your patience - trips to the library, nature walks (get a book from the library and point out different plants to them, talk about mushrooms and bugs and what their job is in the forest, etc), trips to the beach and family picnics are all free. I was so very lucky to have a stay at home Mum, who while she always said no to things like trendy sneakers was always there to do stuff with.

I don't know if there is a toy library in Oxford but my SIL gets most of my nieces toys from her local toy library.

Also, a lot of how your kids perceive things is about attitude. If they rip their jeans and you can't afford new ones, that is instead an opportunity to decide what material and what colour thread to use for a patch, and whether it will be a square patch or a circle or heart shaped... The resulting garment will be unique :)

Good luck, and thanks for starting a very useful thread!

More
11 years 4 months ago #445842 by daerfamily
Just clarifying the money thing - the money we give the kids is NOT pocket money. It is for their future education and they are not allowed to touch it.

More
11 years 4 months ago #445843 by llvonn
Replied by llvonn on topic Having a hard time this year
Don't forget - One of the best toys for imaginative kids is a giant cardboard box, or a muddy puddle.

1 Border Terrier, 5 hens, 5 chicks, an orchard and vege garden. All on 350 square metres.

More
11 years 4 months ago #445873 by Simkin
Replied by Simkin on topic Having a hard time this year
It's really heart warming to read all the suggestions for saving money. However, I've done a quick calculation to get an idea about the income this family has at their disposal and I think that a change of attitude would be timely. That's a bloody good income and anyone with such an income will be tempted to live accordingly, especially if they are childless and without a mortgage.

Now suddenly there are 3 kids and a huge mortgage to pay and life needs adjusting to the new situation. I don't think with this kind of income there is any government help available - that stops at $43.500 with 3 children as far as I know (I asked a couple of years ago).

It's time for a family conference, put all income and all outgoings together and decide what you can live without and what you must have. Young children don't even need to be told what's going on. Just tell them there will be healthier food around from now on. That's usually the healthier option anyway so no problem. Porridge and sandwiches are cheap.

More
11 years 4 months ago #445874 by Aquila
Replied by Aquila on topic Having a hard time this year
The saying in our house is that it isn't a restaurant, If you don't like what's cooked for you then eat elsewhere or buy your own. Kids are lead by the stomach and will eat when they are hungry.

More
11 years 4 months ago #445879 by daerfamily
Thanks everyone. Yes DH is on a good income that is certain. I have a budget and (usually) a fair amount goes into the savings acc, but there is only so much you can save, and when big things happen like well pumps etc, you just dont have the savings left to cope with another big thing.

The kids all take sandwiches to wherever they go, perhaps I need to think about buying muesli bars less often and getting into the kitchen more!

We dont get many new things as adults here though we have bought some things for the block this year (orchard trees, irrigation etc) ..

Thanks again for your tips and help!

More
11 years 4 months ago #445903 by Simkin
Replied by Simkin on topic Having a hard time this year
You've definitely hit a rough patch, that I agree, and it probably feels like a hole without a bottom, especially if you've never had to cope with a money shortage.

The good thing is that with a good income you'll get out - I'd take it as a wake-up call and the measures you'll have to take will only be temporary so much easier to accept.

I think it's your hubby who will have to chip in with the savings even if you say he never spends any money on himself. That diesel guzzler and his attitude of using it would be my first target. If you have 2 cars and yours uses a lot less petrol - get him to use this on days when you have very little driving planned. And you use his if you have to. This can save you up to 40 Dollars a day. Just think about it, talk to your hubby, it's temporary, it's summer now and the winter dangers are not present.

All going well you'll be out of your 'hole' by May when the frosts start.

As to food: I've never skimped on food, never even considered dog roll on sandwiches.

Food is what keeps us healthy and strong and what keeps children growing well. But healthy food doesn't have to be expensive.

My hubby is on a good income, too, but not quite as good as your hubby's. But times haven't always been easy, we've had unexpected bills come in and I guess I'm half a generation older than you so not a new mortgage, not having to adjust to life with children etc.

So I'll start a new thread in the recipes section about feeding a family of 5 for 5 Dollars per meal. Most recipes will assume that you have the ingredients in your veggie garden but if you haven't - it's not too late to plant things. Maybe others will share some ideas, too.

Time to create page: 0.158 seconds