Alpaca Poo and Pasture... Advice Please...

More
11 years 5 months ago #446099 by Negodil
The previuos replies describe alpaca habits pretty well - we have 23 and breed them. If you can scoop/shovel up the poo you should. It makes fantastic compost or can be dig straight in. If the piles have been there for more than a few months it will already be well broken down. The grass can be sweetened with lime and 1% salt, but take care not to over do this. Keep mowing but bear in mind alpaca poo is a great fertiliser and so grass will grow well in the area for a long time, it doesn't mean there's anything wrong. Sheep do appear to eat the area down, don't know about cattle. Transfer of worms may be an issue, if the alpaca had a significant worm burden - have you thought if asking the previous owner about his/her worming routine? Worm problems are always possible when you take over someone else's land.

Hope everything works out for you.

Fairhaven Alpacas, breeding champion Suri alpaca in Temuka

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 5 months ago #446164 by sundaysbest
Thanks for your response, yes I will be asking about the worms when I get a chance.
Thanks!

More
11 years 5 months ago #447285 by topcat83
We have a Purple Poo Machine - works a treat on our alpaca piles

Oh dear - this is addictive. Now up to 4 alpaca boys, 6 girls (3 pregnant ones), a beautiful cria, a quarter of a stud (I hope we get the dangly bits) and six more girls on the way. The sheep who thinks he's an alpaca goes to meet some new friends tomorrow, we're down to 1 rescue cat, but are still...

More
11 years 5 months ago #447290 by Negodil
We use a similar paddock vac - Lady Muck, made in Ashburton. They work really well and save a huge amount of time if you're collecting the poo

Fairhaven Alpacas, breeding champion Suri alpaca in Temuka

More
11 years 5 months ago #447334 by jimminette

topcat83;447455 wrote: We have a Purple Poo Machine - works a treat on our alpaca piles

wonder if a leaf vaccum would work as well. Wonder if would work with goats, although, thoughtlessly, they poop everywhere. lol

More
11 years 5 months ago #447369 by jsmum
OMG!! Now I've seen it all - a poop vacuum

More
11 years 1 month ago #459473 by helen55

Negodil;447460 wrote: We use a similar paddock vac - Lady Muck, made in Ashburton. They work really well and save a huge amount of time if you're collecting the poo

My 'Lady Muck' was delivered on Monday (and it brought the rain with it!). I finally got to use it today and I was most impressed with the way it picked up the 'paca poo! Yippee for spotless paddocks in a week or so from now! :)

Living on a 7 acre property near Oamaru I currently have 5 wonderful Standardbred horses, 8 alpacas, 6 former battery hens, 1 labrador and 8 cats. I eat only plant based food and love trying new plant based recipes. Retired from the paid workforce in December 2019 and have never been busier!!

Time to create page: 0.124 seconds