Alpaca Poo and Pasture... Advice Please...

More
11 years 6 months ago #33567 by sundaysbest
Hi all,

Well we are placing an offer this weekend on a place (WOOT WOOT!) :)
Hopefully if things go our way... we will end up running our horses and sheepies on land previously only farmed with Alpacas!!!

The grass is a heavy mix, mainly rye/clover/meadow grass (no paspalum and no kikuya from what I can see), however in ONE spot in every paddock there are these long patches of grass (600-800mm high), that low and behold... the Alpacas have been using as their toileting spot.

Whilst the spots don't look particularly "rank" or overly green etc..., how best to deal with them before bringing my horses down..., we won't have the sheep immediately and the sheep will be sporadic, depending on how often we eat them.

Any advice on bringing back alpaca poo sites to glory??

Many thanks,
Sundays

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 6 months ago #445084 by reggit
Hahah, they are so tidy, housetrained! :) Had heard they do that.

Wonder if it would be good for vege gardens, you could have some very handy piles of it there [;)]

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

More
11 years 6 months ago #445086 by sundaysbest
Yes, always an option - I'd appreciate any advice or tips of what to do with it... there are established slightly raised beds on the property, so maybe I could add the poop to them (we would move them in due course, as they are not where we want them ideally).

Oh PS _ I am trying my best not to count my chickens before they hatch us a farm... but still, it's SO exciting!!!

PPS _ I'd give anything for my naglets to poop in one spot.... wow that would be AMAZING!!! ha ha ha (I'll keep dreaming!)

More
11 years 6 months ago #445088 by sundaysbest
Yes, always an option - I'd appreciate any advice or tips of what to do with it... there are established slightly raised beds on the property, so maybe I could add the poop to them (we would move them in due course, as they are not where we want them ideally).

Oh PS _ I am trying my best not to count my chickens before they hatch us a farm... but still, it's SO exciting!!!

More
11 years 6 months ago #445108 by Newbies
Our neighbours run alpacas and they leave these HUGE patches EVERYWHERE. They will defacate in a particular spot and won't graze that area for a very long time. I am not sure what moves them to defacate somewhere else but you can imagine that after a while there is not a lot of 'fresh' grass for them to graze. Our neighbours don't appear to move or use their droppings for anything which is very surprising considering they are very useful people. Before we moved into our LSB the alpacas grazed a few of our paddocks and we noticed our cows didn't want to eat grass in their toilet spots either although now, just over a year later, they don't seem to be bothered. So I wonder if it would be wise for you to get rid of the droppings, even if you can't find a use for it on the farm? Or we could've just had seriously fussy cows...

[:D] 10 Hereford X Steers, 4 Ewes, Roger-The-Ram, 8 Hens, Foghorn Leghorn, Axle the Boxer, Duke the Mastiff X & 2 Moggies [:D]

More
11 years 6 months ago #445110 by Ashlee
Male alpacas are the ones who make the big piles (territorial) but the females spread out into a much wider area so don't create the 'dead' patches that I assume you are describing. We pick up the males piles for the garden and fruit trees etc, it is excellent fertiliser and really convenient to collect :)

We cross-graze with cattle so our paddocks stay nice and tidy. If the piles have been neglected for a lengthy time, it might be easier for you to shovel as much poo off the piles are you can, get a lawnmower and cut the grass right down, then put some soil on top of the pile (where it's bare) and a bit of seed and the grass should come back.

They aren't a problem with proper pasture management etc.

More
11 years 6 months ago #445115 by Tui Ridge
Yep lovely pig spreads of long lush grass that they won't touch :rolleyes: - we have plenty of those in the area our alpacas are in.

We try to get our cows to follow around after the paca's to eat the long grass - them and the sheep don't mind it at all (except our cows are fat - might try to get some weaners to do tidy up duty).

I've been reliably told that if we spread plenty of lime and some seaweed fertiliser over the areas it will sweeten them up and the alpacas will eat them again - we are going to try that when we get some time [^]

Me and hubby and 2 boys, Alpacas, Arapawa sheep, Lowline cattle, lots and lots of chooks and ducks ;)

More
11 years 6 months ago #445123 by sundaysbest
Cool, thanks all for the feedback, we will certainly scoop the poo up and basically mow, dirt, re sprinkle seed etc... try get things going properly again...

Wish us luck!!

More
11 years 6 months ago #445124 by LongRidge
For sheep and horses, the only problem will be if camelid worms are exactly the same as sheep and horse worms. If they are, then harrow the patches. If not then the sheep and horses can safely graze right up close to the poo piles, and will.

More
11 years 6 months ago #445126 by Stu_R
Good luck Sundays :) hope it all goes well and you get it :)

5 retired Greyhounds ( Bridgette , Lilly, GoGo,Sam and now Lenny) 15 friendly sheep all of whom are named and come when you call them :) , 2 goats, Mollie and Eee Bee :
Olive trees , .. old bugger doing the best he can with no money or land :)

More
11 years 6 months ago #445136 by Stikkibeek

sundaysbest;445042 wrote:

PPS _ I'd give anything for my naglets to poop in one spot.... wow that would be AMAZING!!! ha ha ha (I'll keep dreaming!)

If they were all stallions they would! :p

Don't know how dung beetles rate Alpaca poo, but if they do, that would be the answer.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
11 years 6 months ago #445162 by terralee

sundaysbest;445080 wrote: Cool, thanks all for the feedback, we will certainly scoop the poo up and basically mow, dirt, re sprinkle seed etc... try get things going properly again...

Wish us luck!!

Good Luck :D :D :D ..and what, where, how much land??? ...come on a few details[;)][;)]
Let us know how your offer goes[^]
Cheers

Leonie & Zoo!!! :silly: :woohoo:

More
11 years 6 months ago #445171 by Simkin

LongRidge;445081 wrote: For sheep and horses, the only problem will be if camelid worms are exactly the same as sheep and horse worms. If they are, then harrow the patches. If not then the sheep and horses can safely graze right up close to the poo piles, and will.

Alpacas do 'share' worms with sheep. Don't know about horses.

More
11 years 6 months ago #445178 by Ashlee

Simkin;445134 wrote: Alpacas do 'share' worms with sheep. Don't know about horses.

Horses are different. Sheep have most of the same.

More
11 years 6 months ago #445293 by sundaysbest
I'm not counting my chickens, but I'm pretty sure we're in like Flynn... will keep you all posted. I inspected the alpaca poo piles at length the other day (haha, I need more to do with my time clearly!!) and they won't be that hard to remove poo, slash/mow, lime the heck outta it and spell it... we'll be right :)

Thanks all for your responses.. I'll report back with "breaking news" in due course...

Sundays

Time to create page: 0.158 seconds