Very sick goat kid-* Update, new photos of Monika

More
11 years 4 months ago #444888 by Andrea1
I have had 2 goats self-wean at 4 weeks. They were Arapawa Island goats which had been dam-reared to that age (I had been told when an agreement to purchase them had been reached, that I was buying bottle-fed kids). When we got them home, they refused a bottle. I tried for days to get them to take a bottle, but the longer they go without the milk, the harder it is for them to be able to digest/utilise it properly. So eventually we got them on a home-made muesli of rolled black oats (more fat), rolled barley, oaten chaff, my home-made mineral drench of ACV, garlic, molasses, a sprinkling of seaweed meal, and a sprinkling of milk replacer powder.

They did fine. One did die at age 2 of listeriosis, the other is living happily on a farm at the other side of Oxford. She's about 6-7 now. Both grew to normal size at normal rate.

I also had a Toggenburg buckling who's mum died of aspirant pneumonia when he was just 6 weeks old. He took a bottle for a couple of weeks, and then testosterone took over and he only had eyes for the ladies (he was a January-born kid, so by 8 weeks of age in his life, all the does were coming on heat) and refused the bottle. We gave the same as above, but he was nor very interested in it, and he has remained stunted. He's coming up to 2 years old, and is the size of bucks who are 6 months younger than he. I know they are a slow-developing breed, or can be, but I think he will probably never catch up. Didn't stop him siring lots of kids for me this year, though!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 4 months ago #444902 by meadowlands
Hmm, I might try a mix like that Andrea.
She won't touch chaff etc so all she's eating now is grass but it's a good variety of goat friendly mixed pasture.
I'd like to get something else into her but not upset her poor old tum.

More
11 years 4 months ago #444907 by Andrea1
Whatever you try, just introduce slowly. If she's eating pasture and cudding well, as well as making pebbles, her gut is probably already on the mend.

More
11 years 3 months ago #448804 by meadowlands
Just wanted to say thanks again for all the replies when "Monika" was so sick.
I have never seen an animal come back from death's doorstep like she did.
The vet thought for a second she was dead when her temp was so low.
She is the most adorable affectionate goat.
Always wants cuddles and has such beautiful manners.
I think I'll stay away from the sales for a while though :D

Attached files
File Attachment:
File Attachment:
File Attachment:

More
11 years 3 months ago #448806 by meadowlands
Oops, meant to upload this pic instead of one of the others.

Attached files
File Attachment:

More
11 years 3 months ago #448808 by Stu_R
Great news she has pulled through :)
She is a reall little Cutie :) :) .. well rounded young lady to :)
Great effort and so happy such a good outcome :) well done :)

5 retired Greyhounds ( Bridgette , Lilly, GoGo,Sam and now Lenny) 15 friendly sheep all of whom are named and come when you call them :) , 2 goats, Mollie and Eee Bee :
Olive trees , .. old bugger doing the best he can with no money or land :)

More
11 years 3 months ago #448987 by katieb
wow shes looking like a different goat... its amazing what 6-7weeks of TLC can do :) well done

Animals rule our place... cows, calves, sheep, goats, pigs, horses, donkeys, chickens, ducks... the list goes on
...."lifestyle block like" 25 or so acres around the house attached to a rather large farm with dairy drystock & a 600 cow dairy conversion :)....1500 acres to call home

Time to create page: 0.127 seconds