Very sick goat kid-* Update, new photos of Monika

More
11 years 6 months ago #444657 by meadowlands
She's not disbudded, I can just feel her horns.
Would that be a sign of how old she is?
It's a shame there are no details given out at the sales, I wonder how they run them overseas?
My other 7 goats are Nubian, Nubian x and 1 Toggenburg so quite different from the ferals.
She is so sweet, lots more tail wagging tonight and eating well. So placid but that might change when she builds up her strength.
She actually trotted down some stairs tonight, bit different from this time last week when she was such a waif.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 6 months ago #444661 by Andrea1
My Rawhiti doe kids just start to sprout their horns at about 4 weeks (like you can just see them sticking up above the hairline), so she's still quite young.

More
11 years 6 months ago #444688 by Iniuk
She's one lucky little goatie to have you in my opinion.

More
11 years 6 months ago #444742 by meadowlands
Out in the paddock most of the day by herself, like a big girl, lol

Attached files
File Attachment:

More
11 years 6 months ago #444743 by Andrea1
She's really adorable - what a winsome smile she has!

More
11 years 6 months ago #444744 by Mustangnin
Very cute. :) I agree- she is so lucky to have you.

More
11 years 6 months ago #444764 by Inger
I tend to tube feed any babies that won't drink. That way I know they're getting something in their tummies. I would be giving the kid milk until it's 3 months old. Longer if it's doing poorly. 'Jump Start' works well as a pick-them-up. Even if it's only half a cup full.

Feral kids go into shock if they're taken off their mums too early.

Glad to hear that the baby is doing better now.

45 hectares between Whangarei and Paparoa. Registered Dexter cattle, Wiltshire sheep - black, white & pied.
New Hampshire Red poultry & Dorking poultry. Pilgrim Geese, Appleyard Ducks.
A cat called Pusscat and still looking for another heading dog.

More
11 years 6 months ago #444773 by meadowlands
Thanks, I got a little bit of Jump Start into her the day I got her home but then she literally spat the dummy everytime I produced the bottle.
I wonder if she'd been weaned a while which is why she wouldn't have a bar of the bottle, Jump Start or milk powder.
She grazed all day today, big soft tummy but incredibly boney still, spine ,hips, ribs & shoulder blades protrude heaps.
I still have a feeling she isn't quite right.
I think I may have heard a faint clicking sound when I picked her up once.
Hope that isn't serious. :confused:

More
11 years 6 months ago #444783 by Andrea1
Sick goats seem to lose half their body weight overnight. It can take several weeks to notice an appreciable amount of weight gain, so don't give up hope! You might want to try some goat muesli or calf meal on her as well, just a very small amount to start with, building up to 1 cup a day till the weight really comes back on well. Does she have a good goat mineral lick as well?

More
11 years 6 months ago #444823 by meadowlands
Thanks Andrea.
I had offered her a Littlelik mineral block which I hadn't seen her touch but you reminded me I had a bag of Goat Wonder Lick tucked away.
She actually ate some when I offered it to her.

More
11 years 6 months ago #444868 by 4trees
Hi Meadowlands,would your wee goat drink from a saucer or icecream container rather than a bottle. Some folk feed lambs this way rather than a bottle with a teat. Good luck.

Cheers
http:treeandshrub.co.nz

More
11 years 6 months ago #444871 by LongRidge
Peaches mother, called Apricot because of her colour, died when he was about 6 weeks old. There was no way on Earth that we could get him to take a bottle, even with days of trying. So he got weaned young, and lived for about 10 years.
Last year we got given Donnah, that was found abandoned by her mother. She would not take the teat so got tube fed. Then she got pneumonia, so got more tube feeding. About 2 weeks after she came right, so 3 weeks of being tube fed, she suddenly startedsuckling. She must have heard The Manager tell me that if she, Donnah, didn't suckle that day then I would have to put her down.
Quite the opposite, this year we got a kid that we called Bonnie that was about a week old, that got left by her mother. She took to the artificial teat as though that was all she had ever had.

More
11 years 6 months ago #444877 by meadowlands
I tried the formula in a container and she wouldn't have a bar of it.
Maybe she was fed cows milk or something other than milk powder?
She was definitely starving when I bought her.
I stopped at RD1 on the way home from the sales to get milk powder.
A staff member came out to see her and gave her some Multinuts, I was about to say she was too young to eat them but she almost swallowed them whole she was so hungry. She won't touch them now, prefers grass.
I put her in the paddock for about 10 hours today, nearly everytime I checked her she was eating. Looked so funny, the paddock must be nearly an acre in size, grass long and this little dot in the middle of it.
She still loves licking the Vytrate off the syringe which is hardcase.
I wondered about giving her a very small amount of Molasses?

More
11 years 6 months ago #444879 by LongRidge
I would be inclined not to, in case it stimulate the Pulpy Kidney (Clostridium perfringens Type D) bugs that she will have eaten to grow rapidly and cause PK.

More
11 years 6 months ago #444880 by Hawkspur
She does look very cute. Well done for your care and persistence.
It does make me wonder though, what are the regulations/responsibilities of the auctioneer/sales yards regarding the condition of animals being sold?:confused:
Should they have refused to sell a kid in that state? (Which, from what has been said, was lousy, seriously undernourished, and weaned far too young.)
Of course, if they do turn animals away, what would then happen to the animals...:confused:

Time to create page: 0.149 seconds