Very sick goat kid-* Update, new photos of Monika

More
11 years 6 months ago #33504 by meadowlands
Went to the sales on Sat to look at calves.
Bought a tiny feral breed goat kid that I felt sorry for, esp when the auctioneer said she was weaned.
I estimate she's anything from about 4-6 weeks old, she weighed 4kg's.
She was covered in lice so I have drenched her, de loused her.
She ate well Sun, prob too well, was slight bloated by Sun night, not hard bloat. Tried milk powder, she drank some and then just chewed the teat.
By Mon her temp was down 33 degrees and she spent all day at the vets on a drip. She was completely flat when I got her there.
She's deteriorated heaps, now very frail and boney. Poos excellent.
She's eating about 1 leaf an hour. I've tried every safe plant, blade of grass on our property
I syringed Vytrate into her til late last night. She's alive this morning (I was pleasantly surprised) but I'm at my wits end.
She's had antibiotics, scourban, tectonic.
Help!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 6 months ago #444493 by 3scoremiles10
She needs to be back on milk urgently - way too young to be weaned. Keep trying with the milk powder, offering her little and often. Remember goat kids have the milkbar on tap 24/7.

I have two 6 week old buck kids, very well grown, who are still only nibbling at the occasional bit of hay or pasture or forage. They do eat it, but then catch sight of their Mum and go racing over and latch on. So my best advice is to persevere getting her to drink milk.

Good luck and keep us posted!

More
11 years 6 months ago #444495 by meadowlands
I just tried the bottle again.
She won't suckle, just bites the teat til she chews right through it.
I was worried I was going to drown her.
She gets very stressed each time I try, have had a few goes since Sat.
My age estimate is very rough, she might be older, frustrtaing not having any history.
Going to take her back to the vet at lunchtime, I'll try anything.

More
11 years 6 months ago #444500 by Iniuk

Keep trying with the milk powder, offering her little and often. Remember goat kids have the milkbar on tap 24/7.

Friend who revives near dead lambs dribbles in a teaspoonful only, literally. She doesn't trust others to help saying they overfeed. (She feeds them 3hourly!!!)
She also swears by manuka honey as being easily absorbed and good for the tum.
All the best with a difficult case.

More
11 years 6 months ago #444507 by muri
and a drop or two of rescue remedy, three at max, can be a very good reviver of near the brink animals, i even revived a goldfish that was floating on the top of the pond once.
It can be quite calming for sheep to tip them over into the shearing position, you might find this an easy position to get the little kid into and then teaspoon into its mouth, less stressfull on the animal as it really cant pull away but they can relax a bit into your arms that way

More
11 years 6 months ago #444508 by Andrea1
Hi -- sorry about the wee kid!!

The teat chewing may indicate the kid is in pain, possible from the gut issues. Since you don't know the age, and it took a bottle willingly (?), it's probably not weaned. IN any case 4-6 weeks would be extremely young for weaning, especially a feral goat type (they feed their kids for 5-9 months in my experience). Was it's mum killed, perhaps, and that's why the salesyard guy said it was 'weaned'?

I would dribble a mixture of milk of magnesia and electrolytes into the kid. I give adults does 2 TBSP of MOM, but with a tiny kid, I would try 1 tsp at a time, a couple of times a day. The MOM will help soothe the gut and restart peristalsis. You can also give the tea/ginger/baking soda concoction, which also helps with pain and bloat relief (this recipe is kid strength, not adult strength):

1/4 cup strong black tea (2-4 bags steeped in boiling water, then cooled)
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp baking soda

I wouldn't try giving any hard feed, and just keep up the fluids. If you're feeding milk powder, just small amounts, 100-150 ml/feed 5-6 times a day till the kid is well.

Having an infection (probably why the temp dropped) will hopefully be helped by the ABs. In goats, all sorts of things can crop up due to stress.

More
11 years 6 months ago #444532 by LongRidge
Which drench? If it has levamisol as one of it's ingredients then I suspect poisoning, and there is nothing you can do except hope :-(. Levamisole and goats are a bad combination, for the goats.

More
11 years 6 months ago #444533 by meadowlands
No LR, no Levamisole.
I'm seriously wondering if it's congenital.
She's been picking all arvo since the vet visit.
Just a bag of bones, it's like nothing is being absorbed, can't seem to get the condition on her.

More
11 years 6 months ago #444534 by LongRidge
What is the drench called?

More
11 years 6 months ago #444548 by Andrea1
You won't see much improvement over less than a week. If she's still picking, she's still recovering.

I wouldn't be drenching her again just yet, but would do again when she starts to pick up. If she was extremely parasite-laden, the worm die-off would be really hard on her.

Where there's life, there's hope!

More
11 years 6 months ago #444551 by meadowlands
Thanks for the replies, very helpful.
Feel a tad hopeful after the last hour.
I found some seeding grass heads she likes and I've been handfeeding her those.
She also ate 5 plantain leaves. Nice round soft tummy now instead of a seleton with hair.
She lapped about 20 mls of Vytrate willingly from the syringe.
I also soaked a pinch of Speedibeet and she ate some of that too, hope it was ok to give that.
I feel a bit more optimistic than I did last night when I thought there was no way she'd survive the night.
She had 2 injections today, 1 to help settle her tummy and a painkiller so perhaps they have helped, she picked up a tiny bit not long after I got home.

More
11 years 6 months ago #444563 by eelcat
How is the little mite this morning? Sounds like she is a wee fighter

1 Border collie, 1 Huntaway, 2 Lhasa Apsos, Suffolk and arapawa ewe crosses, an Arapawa ram,an East Friesian ewe , 5 cats, 42 ducks , 1 rooster and 30 hens, 5 geese, 12 goats, 2 donkeys, 2 house cows, one heifer calf, one bull calf, 3 rabbits and lots and lots and lots of fruit trees...

More
11 years 6 months ago #444564 by Andrea1
Glad to hear of the progress, meadowlands, hopefully she'll keep it up!

More
11 years 6 months ago #444569 by welshie
Can you syringe small amounts (5mls frequently) into her cheek pocket? I find weak lambs often swallow that way when they won't take a bottle.
You could try offering her parsley & comfrey leaves too.

Iniuk- I always feed tiny motherless lambs 2-3 hourly day & night. I thought that's what most people do - but maybe not.[:I]

welshie

Don't worry about what people think...they don't do it very often.

More
11 years 6 months ago #444570 by LongRidge
What is the name of the drench? and the ecto-parasite treatment?
Anything, even oxygen, is poisonous in excess. With healthy adult sheep the safety margins for the -ectins and bendimidisols have a 10 times overdose safety margin. Levamisol has a 3 times overdose safety margin in healthy adult sheep. Unfortunately, that safety margin is reduced in a sick animal .... but it needs the treatment because it is sick :-(
I'm sure you have done the correct things. If you have a lamb stomach tube then you might try to use that. If you have staminal or glucose, you could try that instead of milk. 10 grams in 200ml water, five or six times per day.

Time to create page: 0.154 seconds