Milking goat on TM

• Andrea
11 years 6 months ago #33472 by Andrea
Milking goat on TM was created by Andrea
Anyone still looking?

www.trademe.co.nz/a.aspx?id=532781498

She would be a good place to start, assuming she's CAE and Johnes free - good milker. But she's small and short, and her udder is already problematic at the age of 4 (large, pendulous, not good rear attachments). However, since she's got the milk, and she looks solidly built, she'd be a good one to breed up from.

The reserve's a bit high (unless she's got a pedigree), but I think since the demand is outstripping the supply it's the way of it for now. I think if I was interested in her, I'd try to negotiate the cost of the blood tests in the Buy-Now. Even with the udder, she's probably got a good 2-3 years before things go pear-shaped, and that's a lot of milk!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 6 months ago #444190 by homebirther1
Replied by homebirther1 on topic Milking goat on TM
I saw this add yesterday too. We were able to get a milker from the Osments over the weekend, & so far so good!

More
11 years 6 months ago #444199 by Jo-Otago
Replied by Jo-Otago on topic Milking goat on TM
Sweet-looking goat - but crikey the size of those teats!! [:0] I'd never get my piddly puny little hands around them :p

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

More
11 years 6 months ago #444213 by Andrea1
Replied by Andrea1 on topic Milking goat on TM
They're not too huge, if you look at the picture from the other side, and the lister says their 7 year old daughter milks her, so she's got to be pretty good-natured.

More
11 years 6 months ago #444216 by Jo-Otago
Replied by Jo-Otago on topic Milking goat on TM
They're massive :p She's a real cutie though. Do her horns point forwards?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

More
11 years 6 months ago #444217 by Andrea1
Replied by Andrea1 on topic Milking goat on TM
I think they are scurs, so she has badly disbudded or dehorned at some stage.

I have does with teats that big that I have no trouble with, and nor does my DD (started milking at age 6-7... ye gods, just realised she's been milking goats for 10 years now!!! [:0]... makes me feel old [xx(]). But yeah, definitely far from ideal!

More
11 years 6 months ago #444238 by HarryPotter
Replied by HarryPotter on topic Milking goat on TM
She may have large teats but I bet she milks out well. Without a good shot of her rear end she may very well have a very good medial suspensory ligament that will keep her udder well supported. Granted, this does get strained under heavy use over the years. She looks like she has heaps of milk as you say Andrea. A great start for someone.
She looks like she is milking it off her back too so she could do with plenty of good fodder and minerals.

Sharing the pad with Harry the Australian Terrorist, Penny the Bearded Collie, Bev the Schnauzer/beardie and her daughters Nellie and Charlotte. (Dad was a Hungarian Vizsla) + lots of chooks. [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Time to create page: 0.132 seconds