Not having much luck with hatching barnevelders!

More
11 years 6 months ago #443790 by Simkin
Hi Swanton and welcome to the forum.

Where are you in NZ? I've had Rhode Island Reds for several years and don't remember any broodies among them so it is a strain thing.

I'd go for a Buff Cochin - one of mine has hatched 21 out of 23 eggs she was sitting on but average would be 12 to 16 eggs, depending on egg size, of course. If you leave the eggs in the nest she is more likely to go broody and may hatch and raise 3 clutches per season.

Have a look at www.rarebreeds.co.nz . In the breeders directory you'll find the original Ashburton breeder who developed them. He posts eggs to anywhere in NZ but if you let us know where approximately you are there may be someone close by who has either Cochins or another reliable broody breed like Wyandottes - or a broody strain of Rhode Island Reds.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 6 months ago #443793 by HarryPotter
Well, I have dealt with people like this before, who are aggressive when questioned about their product. They rely on the shock tactics of giving the customer an earful and the customer is taken aback because it is not the response that they were expecting.

It is totally unacceptable and personally I wouldn't take it lying down!!

But, on a positive note, this thread has warned me and probably quite a few others about the experience that one could possibly have. Am I going to do business with this person?....errr..no!

Sharing the pad with Harry the Australian Terrorist, Penny the Bearded Collie, Bev the Schnauzer/beardie and her daughters Nellie and Charlotte. (Dad was a Hungarian Vizsla) + lots of chooks. [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

More
11 years 6 months ago #443825 by Stikkibeek
There was another breeder selling eggs and young chicks in the waikato a few years ago. I bought some Barnevelder chicks off her and reared them under my reliable broodie. I had presold them as well. When they began to develop their pullet feathers, it was obvious that they were not barnevelders. Some were long tailed rose combed or single combed GLW and the others were short tailed rose combed barnies. It was obvious that her GLW rooster had been visiting the barnevelder ladies. My sale fell through needless to say when I explained to the buyer what I thought had happened. When I rang the breeder, thinking I was doing her a good turn by alerting her to what had happened, as I would not have been the only person to get stock from that lot of eggs, She hit the roof, accusing me of disparaging her and called me some nasty things. I thought she might have liked some honest feedback but it seems not. Any way, I was not out of pocket, my BIL sold them for me at a farmers market as backyard specials, and I got $40 each for them, so I was very pleased with that. That particular breeder doesn't seem to be around now, or trades under a different name.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
11 years 6 months ago #443864 by Cinsara

KiplingAngel;443592 wrote: Might pay for a few of us from the area to pool together to do one pickup or day trip out that way rather than making our seperate ways. I"m close to Pukekohe, in the beautiful Paparimu Valley.

Mark from PP gets some of his feed from Fiskens in Pukekohe but I wouldn't know if an egg delivery would be on his agenda, no harm in asking.

>

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate!

More
11 years 6 months ago #443865 by Cinsara

Simkin;443584 wrote: I hate to say this but without 'those propagators' out there :rolleyes:it would be very difficult for most people to get heritage breed birds :(

And this proragator is very passionate about animals and seems very dedicated to them. I have also heard of people who have had excellent hatches from her eggs.

>

More
11 years 6 months ago #443867 by llvonn
I had a bit of an experience with a person who sold fertile eggs. I was looking at silkies and having done some research on the net I found out that in America silikies tend to be bantamized and in England they are larger.
I asked if the NZ silkies were standard or bantamised. I got a very angry email back saying that Silkies were light breeds not bantams and I shouldn't believe everything I read on the net. She was quite rude.

1 Border Terrier, 5 hens, 5 chicks, an orchard and vege garden. All on 350 square metres.

More
11 years 6 months ago #443879 by poaka
I have had barnevelders for about 10 years and have never had 1 go broody. I have 6 breeds and the most broody bird I use as a mother is the Light Sussex.I had RIR's and they were no good as broodies. :-)

Statistically, 6 out of 7 dwarves are not Happy. [:)]

3 Beef Roasts and Mince
40 Chicken Roasts and Omelettes
25 Pigeon Pies left after Falcon dined out,. 5 pheasants
plus 3 pig dogs

More
11 years 6 months ago #443882 by Cinsara
I have 1 barnevelder (purchased as a PB but who knows) who goes broody every year, currently on eggs. The other 3 have never gone clucky. My Dorkings on the other hand are always broody bless them :-)

>

More
11 years 6 months ago #443892 by Woolpatch
Thanks Stikkibeak and Simkin, very much appreciate your advice. I'm based in Silverdale up North and would certainly be keen to get my hands on a broody Rhode Island Red or Buff Cochin. My wife and I are still very green when it comes to country life but are absolutely loving it as are the kids. Apart from the chooks were starting to grow our flock of sheep (currently 11 Wiltshires) on our 20 acre block. Plenty of fencing to get done before the numbers grow much more but I'm surprised how much I'm enjoying putting up post a wire mesh fencing!

More
11 years 6 months ago #443900 by Inger
I'm sorry if one of our Rare Breeds members is causing strife for buyers, but we have no control over the quality of their breeding or how they treat their customers. There may be some rules that we can use, if an official complaint was made to the Committee though. So if a few of you feel strongly about the matter, the Rare Breeds Committee would see what could be done.

Regarding fertility, I recommend having 6 hens per rooster for a good coverage and no more than 8 hens for the rooster to work with. It should go without saying that the breeder should choose their best rooster and their best hens for the breeding group that they collect eggs from. Good nutrition for the breeding group, is another requirement. Plus good storage of the eggs, after collection.

If the eggs are fresh (less than one week old) and well packed, they should travel by courier well. The exception being left at the depot or in a hot van for too long, over a weekend. I've had New Hampshire eggs go to the South Island and still get 11 chicks hatch from 12 eggs. There is variabilty across the breeds though. We just hatched 5 Dorking eggs from 22 eggs put in the incubator. Not good. A number of eggs at the end of the days during the collection, were infertile. Other eggs started developing but stopped along the way. I have seen the rooster working recently, so perhaps it was a temporary thing and I'll try again with a broody hen, to see how that goes.

The best broodies are Silkies or Silkie crosses, then most bantam varieties should be good. Our Light Sussex pullets would all go broody in a season. So I'd recommend them, for a heavy breed. Our RIR used to go clucky, so did the Barred Rocks and I'm sure we had Barnevelders that went clucky as well, but not as many as the Light Sussex. Very few New Hampshires go broody, but I've got a couple at the moment, making clucky noises and the more serious one is going to be put to work hatching more Dorkings for me. I've got to get more Dorking chicks hatched this season. No wonder they're a rare breed.

It is true that the serious breeders don't sell their best birds, but you wouldn't expect that. They should however, be prepared to sell fertile eggs. Some aren't so altruistic, but I believe that the only way to improve a breed is to sell the eggs from the best birds, to as many prospective breeders as possible. I've sent eggs all over the country and although they aren't the best genetics available, they still give future breeders a good starting point. Much better than letting the breeds dwindle and die out. We need to ensure their survival.

If anyone isn't able to find the breed you're looking for, on the Rare Breeds website, email me and I'll look through my contacts files and the old Show
Catalogues to find what you're looking for. Failing that, I know people who have wider contacts that can help you. (This may be needed for the rarest of poultry breeds).

45 hectares between Whangarei and Paparoa. Registered Dexter cattle, Wiltshire sheep - black, white & pied.
New Hampshire Red poultry & Dorking poultry. Pilgrim Geese, Appleyard Ducks.
A cat called Pusscat and still looking for another heading dog.

More
11 years 6 months ago #443907 by homebirther1
We got 2 RIR's off HarryPotter earlier last year, and last summer they both went clucky and raised a batch of chicks each-were great mothers too. And one of the RIR's has been sitting on eggs for the last 21 days and is hatching more out as we type! ;) She is our 3rd hen to go clucky in the last few weeks

More
11 years 6 months ago #444017 by HarryPotter

homebirther1;443728 wrote: We got 2 RIR's off HarryPotter earlier last year, and last summer they both went clucky and raised a batch of chicks each-were great mothers too. And one of the RIR's has been sitting on eggs for the last 21 days and is hatching more out as we type! ;) She is our 3rd hen to go clucky in the last few weeks

That is great to hear. Yes, all but one of my RIR are broody at the moment. One disappeared and I found her a while later with a group of mixed, barnyard eggs under her. She is now the mother of six little chicks. My Light Sussex are mad at being broody. In fact I have run out of broody breaking cages!!! They are all lined up like prisoners in Alcatraz :( .

Sharing the pad with Harry the Australian Terrorist, Penny the Bearded Collie, Bev the Schnauzer/beardie and her daughters Nellie and Charlotte. (Dad was a Hungarian Vizsla) + lots of chooks. [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

More
11 years 6 months ago #444027 by Tui Ridge
I've given up on cages - i've run out of cages, boxes anything...

I have broody's coming out my ears, 3 araucanas - now with chicks, 1 RIR with chicks, 1 RIR sitting on 16 duck eggs [:0] and the last RIR is very determinedly sitting on nothing in a nesting box [}:)].

1 hamburg already raised hers, another sitting about to hatch, the third has been a bit AWOL lately. 1 bantam raising babies (and 1 SLW as well), the other 2 bantams are both determinedly sitting on the same nest [:(!].

The barred rock is raising ducklings (as well as the ones in the brooder and 1 hen duck with 1 baby) and 3 other hen ducks are sitting on piles of eggs (and I do mean piles!!! :rolleyes:)

oh and don't forget the houdan under the bushes, i'm not sure what she is sitting on [B)]

Me and hubby and 2 boys, Alpacas, Arapawa sheep, Lowline cattle, lots and lots of chooks and ducks ;)

More
11 years 6 months ago #444065 by Inger
Oh Tui. It sounds like you're going to be inundated with babies. :)

45 hectares between Whangarei and Paparoa. Registered Dexter cattle, Wiltshire sheep - black, white & pied.
New Hampshire Red poultry & Dorking poultry. Pilgrim Geese, Appleyard Ducks.
A cat called Pusscat and still looking for another heading dog.

More
11 years 6 months ago #444072 by homebirther1
Me thinks our only Barnevelder has gone clucky!

Time to create page: 0.149 seconds