Not having much luck with hatching barnevelders!

More
11 years 6 months ago #443644 by greenfingers
Oh! Thanks for the info Simkin. Lesson learnt:-(

9.5 acres with 300-odd pines and lots of wobbly fences [:D]

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 6 months ago #443666 by Cinsara
Our very own Buzzard breeds "to the standard" Barni's, you could try PM'ing him to see if he has any spare.

>

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate!

More
11 years 6 months ago #443667 by Cinsara

Simkin;443437 wrote: That particular breeder has too many females per pen and if the rooster prefers some of them more than others you have a good reason why fertility may not be as claimed.

It's often hard to get some breeders to accept any blame though.

>

More
11 years 6 months ago #443683 by HarryPotter
How about finding a solution to secure positive outcomes for the next unsuspecting purchaser! Firstly, several people could write/email the breeder and describe their results. In this thread alone there are three of you that have had less than positive outcomes.

In this letter you could a] take a more passive, friendly approach and let the breeder know that you are aware that you are not alone in your experience. One could state that in their opinion the combined experiences tell a story that is less than ideal and would indicate that it is not the fault of postage, "faulty" broody hens etc.

You could site standard, unwritten, retail policy that outlines how unsatisfied customers talk about their experience far more than they do the positive. Surely you have a more powerful voice as a combined force.

As I see it, unless someone is prepared to speak up then, unfortunately, a whole raft of people will have a negative introduction to owning and rearing heritage breeds of poultry.

I know I would stand by my product and give the customer the benefit of any doubt I had. If I was getting continuous feedback from my customers that provided me with a similar picture/experience then as sure as shit I am going to do something about it.

I am not sure I could afford to cast blame if there was a picture emerging.

On the other hand you could, b] take a more aggressive stance and demand your money back or replacement eggs. If you meet resistance then you could start to quote the Consumer Guarantees Act.

It isn't an easy situation but if I was in the same boat as some of you I would be kicking up a fuss!

Sharing the pad with Harry the Australian Terrorist, Penny the Bearded Collie, Bev the Schnauzer/beardie and her daughters Nellie and Charlotte. (Dad was a Hungarian Vizsla) + lots of chooks. [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

More
11 years 6 months ago #443698 by buzzard
thanks Cinsara for the plug, but sorry I dont sell eggs,

OP, get a hold of Mark and Fiona, they should be able to sort you out.

More
11 years 6 months ago #443723 by Simkin
HP - very well said.

However, this breeder was, for a time, active on this forum, and conducted herself the same way as she does out of the public eye.

She's been banned from the TradeMe forums/noticeboards but TradeMe is still happy to get her business.

Nobody dares to post negative feedback as she pounces on anyone who does this, retaliating with a red face. Also by the time the eggs should hatch most people have posted feedback already.

More
11 years 6 months ago #443758 by Cinsara
Ooops sorry Buzzard I didn't know :-(

PVL is the resident expert on the Poultry Central website now :rolleyes:

>

More
11 years 6 months ago #443767 by buzzard
don't be sorry Cinsara, you weren't to know[;)],
truth is I only have 5 hens paired up with 3 males over 3 pens (so I can keep track of what comes from what) so dont have any eggs spare

More
11 years 6 months ago #443771 by greenfingers
I hear what you are saying HP....but as Simkin said, she's quite an aggressive person, especially if you appear to be getting 'uppity' with her.

Considering that she's listed on the Rare Breeds website (and thats where I got her details from, not TradeMe!), can they not do anything to rein her in...if she's not breeding to ideal heritage standards, surely that goes against what the Society wants to promote?

More
11 years 6 months ago #443774 by Cinsara

greenfingers;443579 wrote: she's quite an aggressive person,

and that's putting it VERY mildly [B)]

>

More
11 years 6 months ago #443775 by greenfingers
Agreed!

More
11 years 6 months ago #443776 by Simkin
I hate to say this but without 'those propagators' out there :rolleyes:it would be very difficult for most people to get heritage breed birds :(

Most propagators are nice people and many of them take pride in their birds and have pretty good birds in their breeding pens. Fact is that none of the top breeders is keen to part with their best birds so what the propagators can have are the serious breeder's culls. That's ok if they can resist to breed of everything they have but most put each and every female into the breeding pen to get the maximum number of eggs they can then sell as 'fertile pure bred eggs'.

More
11 years 6 months ago #443777 by Woolpatch
I also have Barnevelders but havn't had any luck getting them to go broody. The rooster is doing his job well and the eggs are fertile but my hens have no interest in raising them. I can't be bothered with all the hassle and cost of an incubator and hand raising them. Is there a trick to getting them broody? or is this just a breed thing and do I need to get a foster mother in from another breed?

More
11 years 6 months ago #443780 by KiplingAngel

Cinsara;443582 wrote: and that's putting it VERY mildly [B)]

Oh TG!!! I thought it was just me...

Yes, I got her details off another website, not TM, and was sorely dissapointed. Will travel to PP next time I want interesting eggs to add to my flock.

Might pay for a few of us from the area to pool together to do one pickup or day trip out that way rather than making our seperate ways. I"m close to Pukekohe, in the beautiful Paparimu Valley.

More
11 years 6 months ago #443784 by Stikkibeek

Swanton;443587 wrote: I also have Barnevelders but havn't had any luck getting them to go broody. The rooster is doing his job well and the eggs are fertile but my hens have no interest in raising them. I can't be bothered with all the hassle and cost of an incubator and hand raising them. Is there a trick to getting them broody? or is this just a breed thing and do I need to get a foster mother in from another breed?

Add a Rhode Island red to your birds. They are pretty reliable broodies, make good mothers, have paler eggs so you shouldn't get them mixed up, and are big enough to cover a good clutch. Also, unlike bantams which are also reliable broodies, a RIR is big enough not to get picked on by the Barnevelders.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

Time to create page: 0.149 seconds