Not having much luck with hatching barnevelders!

More
11 years 6 months ago #33417 by greenfingers
I'm so excited that I have one live Barnevelder chick running around - hatched 4:30pm Saturday. They are so adorable, like little brown fluffy bumblebees!

However, it is the only one to hatch out of 8 eggs [:(!] - one egg got broken about 5 days after putting them under my hen. 4 eggs got hiffed out of the nest last night and on candeling, nothing had developed inside. I thought oh well at least there are 2 left....wishful thinking as these 2 then got hiffed out some time between me removing the 4 discarded eggs from her enclosure last night and when I checked on her this morning! These 2 also had no development inside. Maybe I'm just not meant to have Barnevelders.

I know there is so much to consider when asking "why didn't my eggs hatch", but when I tried Barnevelders last season (eggs from same breeder) I only got one to hatch out of 4 eggs (and that chick ended up being taken by a Hawk [:(!]). When I approached the breeder about lack of hatching, I was brushed off with it was probably my hens fault as she'd had close to 100% hatch rates. My hen is the same one I used last season and is an extremely good sitter and mother (must have banty in her somewhere :D), and has previously successfully hatched all the Light Sussex and Australorp eggs I've put under her.

Next time, I think I'll try my luck elsewhere and obtain Barnevelder eggs from another breeder.

9.5 acres with 300-odd pines and lots of wobbly fences [:D]

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 6 months ago #443581 by Blueberry
that sucks![B)]

yes, definitely look for another breeder. check out the rarebreeds website,

www.rarebreeds.co.nz/directorye.html#chooks

for other breeeders

[;)] Blueberry
treading lightly on mother earth

More
11 years 6 months ago #443586 by Simkin
PVL's eggs by any chance?

More
11 years 6 months ago #443591 by minnow
Oh I was looking for Barnevelders but got no reply. Thanks for the info

Little fish, big pond [^]

More
11 years 6 months ago #443593 by homebirther1
Hi Greenfingers, I brought barne eggs last year from Precious poultry, and they all hatched & are beautiful birds & great layers too :)

More
11 years 6 months ago #443594 by Stikkibeek
Greenfingers, Precious poultry have very good barnevelders (great layers) and he has two different strains. Give him a try. Mark is not so far from you at Turua (Off Road to Thames from Auckland) that a picnic on the weekend should be out of the question. Give him a call. He's very helpful. preciouspoultry.co.nz

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
11 years 6 months ago #443598 by HarryPotter
As I am getting more involved in breeding poultry I have come to the conclusion that to secure some of the best lines available in the country you can't beat word of mouth and actually developing a relationship with a specific breeder based on recommendation.

Thanks to Simkin I managed to get some lovely RIR from a reputable breeder in Christchurch. Later this season I hope to breed these hens to a son of a rooster I obtained from Inger on this forum.

I have sown the seeds to also get hold of a rarer breed also based on recommendation.

Regarding your experience with the Barnevelders there is little you can do but try another breeder and hope the fertility rate is better. I suppose when eggs are posted there is always the chance that they can become damaged in transit and the breeder can always claim that it would be the fault of circumstances beyond their control. They can also claim that they have 100% hatch rates etc and you would be none the wiser. The only way you could be sure is to purchase eggs from another breeder and see how things go.

I have just had the last batch of eggs hatch from bought in eggs. For no specific reason I wanted to hatch some Ancona but the breeder I contacted only had a few birds from which the eggs were gathered. Although the deal had been for 5 Ancona and 5 Brown leghorn eggs, I actually received 4 Ancona, 6 Brown Leghorn and 2 Brown Leghorn x White Leghorn to compensate for the lack of the fifth Ancona egg.

What was also explained to me was that for some reason the breeder had discovered that the Ancona appeared to hatch 12 - 18 hours later than the other chicks and that I should set those first. I thought that that was a bit strange and wondered whether the chicks may be a bit inbred. I am no expert by any means but it didn't sit right that a standard breed of hen should take more than half a day longer to hatch especially given that chicks of another breed, presumably incubated under similar environmental conditions hatched normally.

The breeder did say that she was working on this with her breeding programme which kind of supported my suspicion.

The final result: 2 Brown Leghorn eggs were infertile, 4 Brown Leghorn hatched, both White Leghorn crosses hatched and 2 Ancona hatched late as predicted but within the 21st day. The last two Ancona eggs showed no sign of pipping and this morning it was evident that they had died late during the incubation process. I would say that they died at around day 19 or so.

I don't regard 8/10 fertile eggs hatching successfully as disappointing by any means. But the very breed I had been chasing only provided a 50% success rate. As a bonus, both eggs I popped in from my one and only Black Leghorn hen hatched with this brood so 10/12 was most pleasing.

I hope your next hatch goes really well.

Sharing the pad with Harry the Australian Terrorist, Penny the Bearded Collie, Bev the Schnauzer/beardie and her daughters Nellie and Charlotte. (Dad was a Hungarian Vizsla) + lots of chooks. [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

More
11 years 6 months ago #443603 by Simkin
I, too, can recommend Mark from Precious Poultry. He has got his own web site, too.

Although I'm on a different Island word from a certain breeder up in your area has spread well beyond Cook Strait - always the same story: eggs don't hatch and those people who break the eggs to check see that there is no visible embryo in there. So they ring and get to hear the following : 'are you accusing me of selling dud eggs?' in a very agressive tone which makes the complainant duck for cover.

Many disappointed customers of this particular breeder think that she might like to know that her rooster isn't doing the job - that's why they ring - but she doesn't care.

More
11 years 6 months ago #443605 by homebirther1
I have had dealings with this breeder you are talking about Simkin once and once only, she was awful to deal with and her prices are OTT imo

More
11 years 6 months ago #443607 by KiplingAngel
I had 0 of the 12 eggs I bought hatch - but then again I think my wee broody girl was knocking them out too often, so it was a bit of a dissapointment.
In saying that, we got a beautiful big GLW roo, and he seems to be doing the job now, and we had 6 babies hatch out over the weekend in the incubator.

More
11 years 6 months ago #443612 by Simkin
KA - most people haven't got enough experience/self confidence to go back to this breeder to complain. If it was your girl's fault you should see either dead embryos or green goo in the eggs instead of egg yolk (may be runny after being incubated for some time) and egg white. No matter how bad a broody your girl is - some development always takes place, provided the eggs are fertile and viable. As you picked them up yourself the uncertainty of the transport isn't a factor, either.

I've talked to several people at the Hamilton show who told me that they had bought day-old chicks of this breeder and got 100% cockerels. One person had bought 20 of them!

It's a different story with guaranteed pullets (or a rooster) but you pay for the privilege.

More
11 years 6 months ago #443622 by greenfingers
Yes, it was pvl. I drove there (50 min each way) to pick eggs up because I didn't trust a courier. Should have trusted myself & gone with precious poultry, but its quite a bit further away than pvl.

9.5 acres with 300-odd pines and lots of wobbly fences [:D]

More
11 years 6 months ago #443623 by homebirther1
If you want some purebred barred rock eggs I brought some chicks recently off a lady very close to you, PM me if you want her details

More
11 years 6 months ago #443633 by Tui Ridge
I've just hatched some eggs from the same breeder - 6 x barnevelder and 6 x andalusian, under my best broody; only 4 hatched - at least 6 were infertile (empty when candled @ 10 days).

I blamed it on the Post - took a week to get to me :rolleyes: it was mainly the andalusians that were infertile (5 out of the 6).

So I have 3 little barnie chicks and 1 andalusian :D - if the reported fast feathering in the barnevelder pullets is correct I have 2 pullets and 1 cockerel - will be interesting to see if this is correct.

The main thing I was disapointed in is that the barnie eggs weren't that dark brown like my old girls I have here - they were more the colour of RIR eggs.

But - I managed to pick up a group of 5 week old chicks which contained 2 x barnies and 2 x welsummers (from eggs from a Sth Is breeder) - its a bit early to tell but I think I have 1 of each of each :D

Me and hubby and 2 boys, Alpacas, Arapawa sheep, Lowline cattle, lots and lots of chooks and ducks ;)

More
11 years 6 months ago #443638 by Simkin
That particular breeder has too many females per pen and if the rooster prefers some of them more than others you have a good reason why fertility may not be as claimed.

Because of this breeder it is very difficult for everyone else to sell fertile eggs or day old chicks because people have been burnt and think everyone else is the same.[}:)]

As to the Barnevelder egg colour - she's got a SI's breeder's culls in her breeding pens. I've seen birds that hatched from eggs purchased from her in the Christchurch show and they were pitiful examples.

There is a newly formed Dutch Breed Club - contact details are available via the Waikato Poultry and Pigeon Club's web site.

Time to create page: 0.174 seconds