Country Versus City Lifestyle Clash

More
11 years 6 months ago #443116 by Ronney
Sorry Muri, I'm not inclined to take this on board at all for much the same reasons as Kindajojo has stated.

If somebody wants to buy next to an airdrome, pig farm, chook farm, vinery that will be using choppers to keep frost at bay, build their house right next to a dairy farm, etc, etc, etc. they deserve what they get.

Farming, in it's various guieses,(spelling up the shoot here[;)]) are this country's No 1 industry, LSB'ers are not no matter how many inflated dollars they have paid for their 10 acres.

So basically I have no sympathy at all with people who don't do their homework before purchasing, have little or no input into the economy and then proceed to bitch at those that do. As a matter of interest, I lived for a short time within a very close range of the Speedway track at Western Springs. I knew what it was, I knew it would be over by a certain time and just tuned out to it and went to sleep. At a later date I bought a house that was under the flight path of incoming and outgoing international flights. I never even heard them but visitors would stand outside and watch because they were so low.

Now give me some idiotic child, the product of equally idiotic parents, who wants to race a 2 stroke engined bike around for hours on end and I'll cheerfully kill the lot of them. These are selfish people who buy 10 acres and are under the impression they have bought the whole country. They produce nothing, take everything and annoy everybody. And petrol is cheap:rolleyes:

Cheers,
Ronnie

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 6 months ago #443127 by kaiapoi-ken
Well said, Ronney. We live under the glide path for Chch Airport. We consciously bought the place we have because it suited us even though we knew we would have to put up with the aircraft. Now we hardly take any notice at all, unless it is a strange sounding engine sound. Even the Yankee C-17s are only a background noise, a bit like the noise of cars & trucks the townies have to put up with.

More
11 years 6 months ago #443130 by muri
The point that I was trying to make is that a change in the use of a site should be looked at in terms of how it will affect the surroundings and the people living there. Just because something has always been there, doesnt mean the activity can alter its activities which do impinge on others. Thats why we have planning regulations to control the activities
There are wingers in every neighbourhood,
and heaps on these forums as well....

More
11 years 6 months ago #443131 by KiplingAngel
We're not far from Ardemore, and love watching the planes play in the sky above our wee valley - we knew this when we bought here, and are not bothered by it. We even got to see the Mosquito fly over before it flew into the air show day not that long ago... Others have asked why we 'put up' with the aircraft noise... it's like complaining about Pete's cows across the back fence, yes there is an 'aroma' and there is noise, but it's part of the picture out here, and nothing to complain about.

Hubby used to work at a factory in East Tamaki, which had 24/7 operations with forklifts and trucks. After about 25 years a developer purchased the adjoining property and plonked a bunch of houses right up against the fence of the factory. Due to noise and smell complaints, the factory is now gone...

Really makes me wonder sometimes...

More
11 years 6 months ago #443135 by igor
Ha KA, my eldest son is one of those noisy student pilots at Ardmore flying school. It was a race to see if he got his full car licence before he soloed in the Cessna. The car licence won by about a week.

More
11 years 6 months ago #443144 by llvonn
i think there needs to be a balance. If you buy in a rural area where there are farms and lifestyle blocks and you buy next to a chicken farm or pig farm you have no right to complain about the smell, noise. If they are a free range farm then you may get woken up at 4am bu the roosters. Now if the area has more lifestyle blocks added and the farm intensifies and the smell increases because of bad management (making assumptions here) - then you can complain.
If you buy next to a dairy farm, you can not complain about the noise associated with general farm duties and early morning milking. Loud music or constant revving of engines would be another matter.
Times do change and many areas that were once rural are now residential. I do think that our rural land needs to be protected from expanding cities, otherwise there will be none left.

1 Border Terrier, 5 hens, 5 chicks, an orchard and vege garden. All on 350 square metres.

More
11 years 6 months ago #443175 by KiplingAngel

igor;442861 wrote: Ha KA, my eldest son is one of those noisy student pilots at Ardmore flying school. It was a race to see if he got his full car licence before he soloed in the Cessna. The car licence won by about a week.

lol - tell him a big "Thumbs up" from us - we love seeing the planes playing over the paparimu Valley - some use our place as a point to turn around - would love a photo of our place while they're up there, but not sure who to ask (and the scottish heritage forbids me from forking out $500 for a professional shot...)

If your son or the other pilots see a mad woman waving like an idiot from her garden or paito.... it's probably me...[:I]

More
11 years 6 months ago #443176 by reggit
Part of the problem around some areas on the edge of Hamilton is that urban subdivisions allowed right up against rural operations...rather than having a rural residential/lifestyle block buffer.

Might not have helped in this case, but got to be more sensible than what they are doing now with the zoning! :(

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

Time to create page: 0.153 seconds