Country Versus City Lifestyle Clash

More
11 years 6 months ago #33342 by drifter
www.stuff.co.nz/national/7875269/Country...city-folk-in-Waikato

I found the headline interesting. The city folk were doing all the complaining but it was the country folk who get accused of 'rage':rolleyes:

The woman featured was also complaining about insects which were caused (in her opinion) by the organic orchard next door, yet I imagine, she would be the first to complain about sprayers and spray affecting her peace and quiet.
Actually I couldn't see how the orchard could ever be in a winning situation in this scenario. No matter what they do it will impact on her in some way.

Strange how much you've got to know, Before you know how little you know.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 6 months ago #442874 by igor
Notice the complainer has been there for one year while the tea grower has been there eight years. This is the same mentality that buys a house next to a sports ground then complains about traffic congestion and parking problems when there is a big game on. I have no sympathy for the stupid.

More
11 years 6 months ago #442880 by llvonn
There needs to be some consideration of rural industries. This problem happens all over NZ. If you by a house next to a pig farm, you are going to have to expect some odour.
The problem is that developers buy up land, subdivide, people move out from town and then expect the country to smell like country life air freshener. I know of people who have been farming in a region for years, but faced either moving production or shutting down because urban crawl meant that the neighbours were complaining about the odour - which in a farm is occasionally going to happen.

I am actually on the side of the farmer in this situation. If you want to live in a quiet area - move to a retirement village.

1 Border Terrier, 5 hens, 5 chicks, an orchard and vege garden. All on 350 square metres.

More
11 years 6 months ago #442882 by pipjhall
She just sounds like a whiner. If you move to the country you need to accept the cons as well as the pros. Mind you, my DH has been known to complain that our chooks cluck too loud, to which I roll my eyes and remind him that he was the first one to suggest we leave city life and move to a lifestyle block.

More
11 years 6 months ago #442889 by Simkin
They used the helicopter for the first time in 8 years from 4am for a few hours and that is something this lady is worried about? Give me a break.

Similar to what happened to us: We have a huge akeake tree on a city section, about 50 years old, planted about 1m from the boundary line. When the neighbouring property was subdivided the house was built right up to the fence. As soon as the new owners moved in they asked whether we could cut down that tree - they'd like to have more sun in their kitchen in the morning. Huh?

More
11 years 6 months ago #442897 by llvonn
Had similar situation in town. Bought a section with a large oak tree on it. The neighbour had been there when the tree was planted, subdivided his section and built his town house directly underneath it. He then complained that the roots lifted up his concrete and the tree dropped sticky stuff on his roof. Asked me to get rid of it, which I did. I asked him to contribute and he refused.

1 Border Terrier, 5 hens, 5 chicks, an orchard and vege garden. All on 350 square metres.

More
11 years 6 months ago #442898 by drifter
It reminds me of a problem we had years ago. Our neighbour would complain constantly about the cowshed noise. The idiot had built his house right next to it! It wasn't until he moved in that he discovered it wasn't that quiet at certain unsociable times of the day. He whinged about the cows, the dog, the calves, the bulls, the radio, the motorbike... Us yelling at the dog to be quiet[;)] He left notes in the cowshed detailing his many issues *sigh* most things we couldn't or wouldn't do anything about. However, we could muffle the noise of the machines, so we did. Next morning we got an irrate visit by a different neighbour. It turned out the cowshed starting up had been their alarm clock for many years and our muffling the machines had caused them to sleep in and made them late for work and school[:0]

Strange how much you've got to know, Before you know how little you know.

More
11 years 6 months ago #442908 by igor
Just read the readers' comments on stuff. Nearly all seem to agree with the views generally expressed on here to the effect that the complainant should get over herself and learn some sense.

More
11 years 6 months ago #442925 by kindajojo
"TOO NOISY: Amanda Smith was looking for answers last week after green tea exporter Zealong called in helicopters at 4am to prevent frost damage."

I have a few answers for her: none unfortunately are printable.....

More
11 years 6 months ago #442928 by DiDi
I agree kindajojo! How does it even get air time when what is important to this country is blocked.

More
11 years 6 months ago #442929 by eelcat
Here in Martinborough we (almost) get this right. In the District plan/scheme there is reference made to the rural/urban area being of special character. It specifies that the vineyards almost constitute an industrial zone and so we must accept that there will be noise. I will look out the wording. On a frosty morning at this time of there year, all vineyards either run wind machines or hire a helicopter - sometimes it is known to go for 10 hours, perhaps other councils should take our wording and apply it. SWDC has even printed a pamphlet on the nature of 'before you buy in the country here'. However, avid readers of the site will know that we have neighbours who would rather the countryside be free of noises and smells from cows and sheep and those other dreadful animals :D

1 Border collie, 1 Huntaway, 2 Lhasa Apsos, Suffolk and arapawa ewe crosses, an Arapawa ram,an East Friesian ewe , 5 cats, 42 ducks , 1 rooster and 30 hens, 5 geese, 12 goats, 2 donkeys, 2 house cows, one heifer calf, one bull calf, 3 rabbits and lots and lots and lots of fruit trees...

More
11 years 6 months ago #442946 by The Kats Place
I don't mind the noise if its farm work related but the neighbours kids going up and down the fence line with their mates (5 or 6 bikes) on motorcross bikes for hour after hour drives me nuts. I stopped them only to be told mum had sent them over to the boundry furtherest from their house cause she didn't like the noise!

When we lived in town the neighbour called noise control on us, it would appear that the birds were singing in the trees in the front yard and he couldn't sleep in. Not our birds, just birds in general. So silly complaints aren't just in the country side.

kats
Live your life in such a way that it will be easy for people to say nice things at your funeral [;)]

More
11 years 6 months ago #443056 by SarahM
Reminds me of when I worked at Wigram Air Force Base. People would ring up complaining about aircraft noise. Wah??? The base had been there since at least WWII.

5 acres, husband, daughter, son, me, about 12 sheep and their lambs, currently no ram (yay!), 2 Galloways, about 35 chooks, 3 cats and 2 budgies.

More
11 years 6 months ago #443061 by muri

SarahM;442774 wrote: Reminds me of when I worked at Wigram Air Force Base. People would ring up complaining about aircraft noise. Wah??? The base had been there since at least WWII.

I dont believe because something has always been there, it gives it a right to make as much noise as it likes.
Having lived beside whenuapai air base we did complain about the revving of engines every night at midnight for about a week in a row, just to keep the planes warm.
So now they rev them in the morning ....

Its a bit like the clashes between auckland speedway and local residents. people say that because it has been there since 1920 then it has a right to do as it pleases.
In fact, in the 1920s they didnt have midget cars or noise levels anywhere near what there is today.
We did noise level readings outside the speedway area on private properties and they reached well over 75dBa, the level at which hearing is impaired.
So once they wanted to increase the number of meetings and the noise level thresholds they wondered why there were complaints.
Usage can change over the years so just because something has existing use rights by being in a location, it doesnt mean that the generated characteristics[ eg noise levels] of that use are still acceptable.
Being located in an area for a longer period of time than someone else does not mean you have the right to contravene the planning regulations for that area
Its like saying the dairy farms can continue to discharge effluent into streams as thats what they always do.
Regulations can change, uses in an area can change, and people still have to comply with the regulations, no matter how long they have been there or not

More
11 years 6 months ago #443092 by kindajojo
Muri, they dont rev the planes engine to "keep them warm", generally if a plane is having to depart for an early flight the engines are run to test and warm them pre flight.
It is not great if flying a plane over the water with a cold unchecked engine, particularly if they are on standby for search and rescue.
If however you move into an area where there is a known activity ...airfield, farm etc, then you should exercise due diligence when purchasing the property....not complain 12 months later about the noise or smell.
Some buyers are happy to purchase a property which is being sold a lower price because local activity and then moan after the event.......buyer beware.

Time to create page: 0.158 seconds