Kunekunes without tassels

More
11 years 6 months ago #33209 by Far Call
Hi. My Kune boar has mated and produced a litter with our new Kune sow. Only one of the 7 had both tassels/ glands whilst two had only one and the rest did not have any. Does this mean my new sow is not full Kune? :confused: Should the piglets now 5months be meat only? Your advise would be much appreciated. Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 6 months ago #441457 by Andrea1
Replied by Andrea1 on topic Kunekunes without tassels
I tend to be a bit of a purist with my rare/minority breed livestock. There is no set conformation standard for KK pigs, but tassels are desireable. If I got a new sow who started throwing one or no tassels, I would cull her. The tassel gene is dominant, I believe, and other breeds to have them. Yep, just found this, on the KK Society website: www.kunekune.co.nz/about-kunekunes.html Second paragraph.

Are your pigs registered/purebred?

More
11 years 6 months ago #441498 by Stu_R
Replied by Stu_R on topic Kunekunes without tassels
If they are from both registered parents, then they are registerable as are pure kunekune .. so no not meat only piglets
So no i would not be culling the sow
Coke my black sow has no tassells at all .. yet all of her piglets had 2 .. their father Petie has 2 tassells
Bundy my black n white spot sow has 2 tassells and all her piglets had 2 as well and same father as Cokies ones

5 retired Greyhounds ( Bridgette , Lilly, GoGo,Sam and now Lenny) 15 friendly sheep all of whom are named and come when you call them :) , 2 goats, Mollie and Eee Bee :
Olive trees , .. old bugger doing the best he can with no money or land :)

More
11 years 6 months ago #441501 by Robinsons Folly?
Of our three, unrelated. one only has tassles. Our youngest who came from a breeder I think, has beautiful form, but still no tassles. Don't worry me none. There are so many people out there breeding them I expect they are all a bit mixed up now.

Three Piggies, Four Chooky Babes, Randy the Roo, Hubby and Me. [:D]

Time to create page: 0.120 seconds