the dangers of unpasteurized milk???

More
11 years 6 months ago #440680 by kindajojo
Also bear in mind the child was probably more at risk in the car journey to the farm to feed the lamb in the first place

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 6 months ago #440681 by gaalburn
So.... here we go again...Perhaps we should just get rid of all the "Stuff" that could cause us harm. Like animals! GM Food. (Supermarkets are full of it) and the countless other "things" that can cause us harm. about 50 years ago because we did not know of some of these "harmfull Things" we did not do to badly at being able to enjoy a relativly healthy life.
Perhaps because our imune system was not comprimised?
We by contact developed imunity. Just as we vacinate or imunise people to prevent the potential "disease"

It seems in these times we are so "sanitised" by safty requirement that contact with minor diseases has been reduced to the extent that our imune system has no possibility of developing 'what ever'

In the case of pre europeon Maori they died from influenza simply because it was not there befor the Europeon arrive in NZ. No natural Imunity developed?

I am nearly 72 and had the benifit of developing imunity to "raw Milk" which I drink daily (The best goat milk) I still do a honest days work and feel great.
So much of our basic food = diet has been modified to the extent that I wonder if our bodies "recognise" what it is we are ingesting. and so process it "Normally" as opposed to having an reaction- intollerance to it.

And away we go again!!!!

I think that nature did a pretty good job in designing the food chain.

Bon Appetit

'Too much of a good thing may be wonderful.'

More
11 years 6 months ago #440682 by gaalburn
The Milk that you get has been so modified that It realy has no comparison to milk that is "straight from the cow". Or indeed because of the hybird cow that has evolved probably very little resemblence to milk obtained say 60 years ago!

It certainly dose not taste like "milk" as I know............ but then younger people would not know what "real" milk would taste like!

'Too much of a good thing may be wonderful.'

More
11 years 6 months ago #440684 by eelcat
Interestingly we had overnight guests at our farmstay last night, 2 kids 7 and 9 and the subject came up (after the kids had fed the lambs the first time) - horror stories travel pretty fast!

1 Border collie, 1 Huntaway, 2 Lhasa Apsos, Suffolk and arapawa ewe crosses, an Arapawa ram,an East Friesian ewe , 5 cats, 42 ducks , 1 rooster and 30 hens, 5 geese, 12 goats, 2 donkeys, 2 house cows, one heifer calf, one bull calf, 3 rabbits and lots and lots and lots of fruit trees...

More
11 years 6 months ago #440687 by wandering free
How do children develop a strong immune system if they don't get exposed some dirt, we even caught one of ours eating coke, he's now nearly 50.

I see they are saying too much hygiene might be responsible for the rise in asthma and allergies, it's difficult to know were to strike the balance.

It's sad to see what happened to the little girl, lets hope she makes a full recovery.

Just me and the cat now, on 2 acres of fruit and veg + hazel nuts, macadamia, chestnuts and walnuts,
www.youtube.com/user/bandjsellars?feature=mhee

More
11 years 6 months ago #440690 by Ruth
Yes, but there's a difference between bacteria and viruses which will cause serious illness if you ingest them and "ordinary" things which do little harm. That's why we immunise children against Measles (the risk of awful side-effects from the disease are vastly higher than the risk of side-effects from the vaccination), Mumps, Rubella, Polio, etc.

I'll get out of the child vaccination area, because that'll stir trouble, but bring it to cattle, for instance. Some people think it's a good idea to let their young cattle catch BVD and develop their own immunity. But the risk of the development of quite harmful illness is not low. It is better for their bodies not to have to deal with it, or you potentially lose a lot of production from those animals, possibly permanently. They're eating dirt all the time, but we still vaccinate them and protect them from some of the most harmful diseases.

More
11 years 6 months ago #440700 by wandering free

Ruth;440187 wrote: Yes, but there's a difference between bacteria and viruses which will cause serious illness if you ingest them and "ordinary" things which do little harm. That's why we immunise children against Measles (the risk of awful side-effects from the disease are vastly higher than the risk of side-effects from the vaccination), Mumps, Rubella, Polio, etc.

I'll get out of the child vaccination area, because that'll stir trouble, but bring it to cattle, for instance. Some people think it's a good idea to let their young cattle catch BVD and develop their own immunity. But the risk of the development of quite harmful illness is not low. It is better for their bodies not to have to deal with it, or you potentially lose a lot of production from those animals, possibly permanently. They're eating dirt all the time, but we still vaccinate them and protect them from some of the most harmful diseases.

Believe me I'm all in favor of vaccination, can't understand why people are so against it. Polio was a scary thing when I grew up, no vaccines for it when I was young, a bit of fear made you want any jab they offered.

Just me and the cat now, on 2 acres of fruit and veg + hazel nuts, macadamia, chestnuts and walnuts,
www.youtube.com/user/bandjsellars?feature=mhee

More
11 years 6 months ago #440711 by RhodeRed

wandering free;440200 wrote: a bit of fear made you want any jab they offered.

Just the way corporate/klepto-government and mainstream media operate ... 'nuff said really.

More
11 years 6 months ago #440752 by morioka

RhodeRed;440213 wrote: Just the way corporate/klepto-government and mainstream media operate ... 'nuff said really.

???? Not every thing is a hidden government agenda in cohoots with media to fool us all...

Having worked with a fellow, now retired, who contracted polio as a child and while he can walk (just) his gait is so distorted through deformed hips and legs I would say the fear has more to do with not wanting yourself or your children to grow up so disabled by something that is now so easily prevented.

More
11 years 6 months ago #440767 by cowvet
and this issue in the media has reminded people of the risks associated with hygiene and animals...and the health expectations we have in this day and age.

Do we want to go back to the infant mortality rates and life expectancy of 50-60 years ago when people were dying from preventible disease?

I love animals...they're delicious

More
11 years 6 months ago #440769 by Blueberry
"Do we want to go back to the infant mortality rates and life expectancy of 50-60 years ago when people were dying from preventible disease?"

[}:)][}:)] - hmm, i could think of a number of different problems that would solve [}:)][;)]

[;)] Blueberry
treading lightly on mother earth

More
11 years 6 months ago #440770 by Ruth

cowvet;440273 wrote: ...Do we want to go back to the infant mortality rates and life expectancy of 50-60 years ago when people were dying from preventible disease?

Might solve a few other problems... [}:)]

More
11 years 6 months ago #440773 by Blueberry
cheers, Ruth! :D :D

[;)] Blueberry
treading lightly on mother earth

More
11 years 6 months ago #440792 by muri
In this mornings paper they are talking about replicating human milk using cows milk.
I think that sort of stuff is pretty scary in terms of health of those generations who will be drinking it

More
11 years 6 months ago #440799 by llvonn

cowvet;440273 wrote: and this issue in the media has reminded people of the risks associated with hygiene and animals...and the health expectations we have in this day and age.

Do we want to go back to the infant mortality rates and life expectancy of 50-60 years ago when people were dying from preventible disease?

I agree we have lower infant mortality rates. Much of that has to do with getting rid of a large variety of serious diseases such as polio, small pox and the increased knowledge regarding medicines and, yes, hygiene.

It is important to remember that in days past Doctors thought nothing of going from a dead patient and a live one without washing his hands (despite the Bibles recommendation some 3500 years before). Additionally the people were much more affected by climatic events (a bad season and many starved). There was also no contraception and families were larger because of this. More children meant there was more risk of dying in childbirth. Also working conditions were alot harder, potentially dangerous in some cases, and there weren't unions, workers rights and in many cases civil rights. (For more information on this refer to Worst Jobs in History by Tony Robinson also known as Baldrick). The lowered life expectancy had alot to do with this.

With so many different causes of death I think that drinking raw milk would have been way down the list of culprits.

Today we have a knowledge of hygiene and also of the variety of bacteria and results of contact with said bacteria. We also have antibiotics, advanced medical knowledge and equipment that allows premature babies to live, and ability to diagnose issues for the mother during gestation.

We also have medical technology that keeps people alive for longer. In addition to that we now also have increasing cases of asthma, diabetes, cancer, heart conditions and obesity. Our diets have changed drastically and not for the better. So much of our food is now overly processed, although we do have a greater variety of fresh products.

I agree with cowvet in that raw milk can be dangerous, if contaminated. I disagree that it is always contaminated. Good hygiene practices can minimise contamination issues. I get my milk from a farmer who regularly gets his milk independently tested and it has always come back with clean results. It is up to each person to do their research and make an informed decision they are happy with.

No one forces anyone to drink raw milk, be we do have the right to make our own decisions. Our dairying situation is far different to that in america or in Europe where much is industrialised and cows are fed predominantly grain based diets. Unfortunately in NZ we are slowly going the same way with increased stock, leading to increased supplementary grain feeds all chasing increased profits. If anything will damage our reputation internationally, I believe it will be this. Free range, grass fed dairy is a far better selling point than industrialised farming.

1 Border Terrier, 5 hens, 5 chicks, an orchard and vege garden. All on 350 square metres.

Time to create page: 0.156 seconds