the dangers of unpasteurized milk???

More
11 years 7 months ago #440550 by cowvet

llvonn;440013 wrote:
Interesting reading is the chart on exposure to risk factors. Living, visiting a farm or lifestyle block would mean that a person would have daily exposure to risk factors. So would eating raw fruit and vegetables, having contact with household pets, eating meat and consuming dairy products (raw milk was listed separately). In general - everyday life would expose you to the disease.

we wash our veges, and most fruit is up off the ground so less likely to be contaminatedby Ecoli

we wash our hands after contact with animals

we cook our meat, and most of it goes through a meat inspection process

and the recommendation for the young and immunocompromised is that they have pasteurized milk

I love animals...they're delicious

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 7 months ago #440551 by Ruth
I am looking forward to my new season's raw milk. But while that hasn't been available, there's no way I'd drink raw milk from another farm, unless I knew as much about its handling (and the cows from which it came) as I do about our own.

Visiting children here get taught to wash their hands whenever they come back into the house from outside, because they've invariably been touching cattle, sheep, chickens, stuff rats might have run over ... We're even more careful if we've been to the supermarket!

In general, people's hand hygiene is pretty bad, from the reported low percentage of men (in particular) who wash their hands after using the toilet, to those who rarely wash before eating. Washing your hands well is the first and best defence against all manner of minor and major illnesses. Ordinary soap and water though, none of that ridiculous anti-germ stuff. :)

More
11 years 7 months ago #440552 by cowvet

griev;440005 wrote: Studies in the USA state clearly there are more illness related complaints from pasteurized milk than unpasteurized milk.

So the only preventative measure between stopping infections is luck and your level of attention to cleanliness. sound familiar? oh yeah, clean up the cows, the cowshed, the lines and the ....... then sell good clean healthy raw milk, no nasties, healthier bodies, no worries mate!

two relevant points

The first statement you make is obvious. 95-100% of the milk drunk in the USA is pasteurized and only a very small percentage of the public drink unpasteurized milk.

NZ has the reputation of having the best milk quality in the world and it far surpasses countries like the USA and when chatting to vets from around the world they often joke how good and easy we have it as we have so few of the disease they deal with on a daily basis.
Our commercial dairy sheds have strict hygiene requirements and adited regularly for such. The milk is check for contaminants on a daily basis and farmers are penalised financially for milk quality issues.

There will always be potentially harmful bacteria in raw milk. ALWAYS. You can't obtain it in a sterile environment. Nor can you get it sterile unless you pasteurize it. While most tof the bacteria is not harmful some of it can be.
Sure you can wash and dry the udders (but that is usually confined to the likes of the house cow and not realistic on a commercial farm), you can filter it through muslin etc BUT bacteria are microscopic and will not be stopped by filtering and some will get through the washing process.

I am not saying don't drink raw milk - you choice... your risk. BUT it is hugely more risky for the young, elderly , pregnant and immunocompromised. The risk has been illustrated with this little three year old girl

I love animals...they're delicious

More
11 years 7 months ago #440554 by KiplingAngel
Of course we don't know what else the child had touched
Whether or not she was immune compromised to start with
Whether she was sick to begin with..

Too much is not stated, and the blame unfairly apportioned...

BTW - I saw nothing about the word "NAZI" until Cowvet's post...

More
11 years 7 months ago #440558 by jimminette
We have two machines in our printing factory that do the same job. For years we used the one that didn't have the safety features and had no accidents. We then got the newer model with all the safety features. A few years later we had a big job on so thought we would spread the load over the two machines. Because we had become used to not having to take care i.e. the machine prevented accidents, both of us foil printed a finger on the old machine. People are being so protected from anything and everything that they no longer seem to think that their own safety is their responsibility. We are not being taught the basic safety features of life. You wash your hands after touching any animal - county or city raised. How many people think to worm their cats and dogs these days or their children because they are touching their cats and dogs. Birds all around town are pooping on lawns etc and the kids just come inside and grab a biscuit and eat it without washing hands. I grew up on a poultry farm and we had house cows. We consumed milk from our cows but we had been taught all the safety proceedures from little. I still am forever washing hands after touching the littlest thing that might be iiky. On a side note, we went to a friends when our son was about 2 and he had milk from the cow instead of the bottle and went off solids - couldn't fit them in. Makes you wonder just what they are doing to our milk that raw milk was so filling.

More
11 years 7 months ago #440559 by Ruth

KiplingAngel;440038 wrote: ...BTW - I saw nothing about the word "NAZI" until Cowvet's post...

The post in which it appeared has been edited since.

More
11 years 7 months ago #440566 by Simkin
Who can be certain that the little girl didn't take a sip from the bottle herself? - After the lamb had been drinking from it[}:)]

More
11 years 7 months ago #440594 by katieb

Simkin;440051 wrote: Who can be certain that the little girl didn't take a sip from the bottle herself? - After the lamb had been drinking from it[}:)]

Ive seem more than 1 child try that!

Animals rule our place... cows, calves, sheep, goats, pigs, horses, donkeys, chickens, ducks... the list goes on
...."lifestyle block like" 25 or so acres around the house attached to a rather large farm with dairy drystock & a 600 cow dairy conversion :)....1500 acres to call home

More
11 years 7 months ago #440599 by oskatd
The article says that touching farm animals can be lethal, I guess we are all lucky to be alive......

More
11 years 7 months ago #440602 by Ruth
I touched a ram once - or rather he touched me and that nearly was lethal!

More
11 years 7 months ago #440621 by Anne

Ruth;440093 wrote: I touched a ram once - or rather he touched me and that nearly was lethal!

To you or the ram?[;)]

More
11 years 7 months ago #440623 by jimminette

Anne;440114 wrote: To you or the ram?[;)]

hahahahahahaha Needed that laugh

More
11 years 7 months ago #440638 by griev

Simkin;440051 wrote: Who can be certain that the little girl didn't take a sip from the bottle herself? - After the lamb had been drinking from it[}:)]

add to that Simkin, what if she was cuddling the lamb before feeding and it had a pooy bum and fecal matter from the lamb was transferred to the girl?

Let the sun shine on my solar panels[:)]

More
11 years 7 months ago #440653 by Ruth

Anne;440114 wrote: To you or the ram?[;)]

The nearly was to me; ram met his match shortly thereafter. The sausages were delicious!

More
11 years 7 months ago #440675 by RhodeRed
I was so intimidated by this Fairfax media article and the prospect of having to broach this previously uncontempated hazard of contact with animals on my property that I immediate jumped on the internet and ordered some appropriate protective clothing to signify the inherent animal related bio-hazard risks and undeniable OSH issues I am negotiating everytime I step foot outside at my place.

Heres a pic of me on the way down to the chook-house yesterday to collect eggs, ...

Attached files
File Attachment:

Time to create page: 0.156 seconds