the dangers of unpasteurized milk???

More
11 years 6 months ago #33127 by cowvet
www.stuff.co.nz/auckland/local-news/7775...l-after-feeding-lamb

Given the recent debate it is a timely reminder of the risks.

I love animals...they're delicious

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 6 months ago #440505 by ZummersetGirl
More like not washing hands before putting near the mouth - how many three year olds think about that?? Parents need to be more aware - soap and water is all that is needed and keeping an eye on what their children are up to. Dare I mention personal responsibility or would that be to un-PC? I drank un pasteurized cow's milk for 5 years with no ill effects at any time. The cows all had names, were hand milked and the milk was cooled by running cold water thru an element type device that was immersed in the milk. Best milk I've ever tasted :D

More
11 years 6 months ago #440506 by Organix
I knew it wouldn't be long before the pasteurised milk police tried to capitalise on this story :rolleyes:

Harm Less Solutions.co.nz
NZ & AU distributor of Eco Wood Treatment stains and Bambu Dru bamboo fabrics and clothing

More
11 years 6 months ago #440508 by Stu_R
opps i grew up drinking milk straight from the cow and befor it went into the vat to go off in the tanker ..
Um i think i am still alive , so am guess it didnt kill me or do me any harm :)

5 retired Greyhounds ( Bridgette , Lilly, GoGo,Sam and now Lenny) 15 friendly sheep all of whom are named and come when you call them :) , 2 goats, Mollie and Eee Bee :
Olive trees , .. old bugger doing the best he can with no money or land :)

More
11 years 6 months ago #440514 by cowvet
To label me as Nazi is absolutely inappropriate and offensive. Your clear disrespect for my views is now reciprocated.

I am well informed and just reiterating widely accepted common medical and food safety advice.

Risk is risk - and it tends to bite the young and vulnerable on the backside.

And how are those parents feeling now about their little girl and what she has gone through. Were they aware of the risks to a small child and chose to ignore health professionals advice....or were they ignorant. Either way i bet they feel guilt and i wouldn't wish that on anyone.

They may have even been influenced by ideas on here. If so are those people prepared to accept responsibility for this little girl. Or is it OK to rip roar through with - I did it and I'm OK and don't worry about COMMONLY accepted medical advice.

I love animals...they're delicious

More
11 years 6 months ago #440517 by Stu_R
i can only go from personal experience ... and state the facts as they applied to me ... i grew up on dairy farm and we always got our milk from the cowshed .. am not advising anyone on anything , just stating how it was .. and if that makes me wrong them am sorry i do not conform to common medical things .. or if i did i would be in hellishly bad shape after having grown up all my younger life drinking milk straight from the cowshed

5 retired Greyhounds ( Bridgette , Lilly, GoGo,Sam and now Lenny) 15 friendly sheep all of whom are named and come when you call them :) , 2 goats, Mollie and Eee Bee :
Olive trees , .. old bugger doing the best he can with no money or land :)

More
11 years 6 months ago #440518 by kindajojo
Good points Cowvet , it is easy to get complacent with the dangers on blocks.
Fine if you are happy to accept the dangers yourself, but at the end of the day parents are responsible for another little life and need to take all reasonable precautions.
Were they feeding the lamb unpasturised milk or was the infection caught from the lamb??
Also a good reminder to make sure all your (and your children's) shots etc are up to date ie tetanus if you are around animals.

More
11 years 6 months ago #440522 by lars arsbjorn
consumption from milking bovine teet preference long situation necessitates since limited production not existence preference also responsibilities adhere personal

ha det bra, adjø
Lars

( i am from the Scandinavian my translation poorest in english)

More
11 years 6 months ago #440523 by griev
Studies in the USA state clearly there are more illness related complaints from pasteurized milk than unpasteurized milk.

this article clearly states they do not know where the illness came from so it is a tad too early to blame unpasteurized milk, all they have inferred is a potential link. Farms have a host of potential deadly illnesses so why have you directed your blame to the milk?

Hopefully it will help to highlight cleanliness is next to healthiness tho.

It is certainly getting into good reading out there as more studies are done on the benefits of raw milk, there are questions to be asked as to why humans have consumed raw milk products for years and years, yet all of a sudden we are forced to abide by the food police whom consider themselves wanting to control us to the point of deciding what we can and cannot eat or drink. I mean come on! Soda's, lollies, fat foods, chips and high sugar foods all ok and sold in a heatbeat, but mention raw milk and out come the haters!

Pasteurized milk has been now around mainstream for what 50 plus years? (I still can remember out daily glasses of fresh raw milk at our school that was in the early 70's), I can't remember spec when it went into main stream sales, we lived in a small rural town that was founded on the local milk factory , we always had fresh raw milk in the house.

There is a generation cross over to study the effects of pasteurised milk and its detrimental effects on the population, cert there are a lot of illnesses attributed to it, personally I think its a tenuous link as I am sure when pasteurized milk came on so did soda's ie Coke etc and a few other dietary changes (for the bad) but still it would be and interesting read. all we hear about is the nasty pathogens pasteurization kills, kinda fails at the basic level really as all it does it put a bandaid on an gaping wound.

Why didn't they put emphasis on enforcing cleanliness in the processing systems? thus eliminate the nasties while allowing the goodies to grow. All they have done is create the perfect environment for the nasties to grow and multiply, as our (very knowledgeable in this area) neighbour has said, as soon as you tear off the tab on your store brought milk you have opened the door to breed every nasty pathogen loitering in your fridge, on your hands or just floating around (anyone sneezed near and open bottle of milk?) in the milk with nothing in there to combat them as all the good ones are killed.

So the only preventative measure between stopping infections is luck and your level of attention to cleanliness. sound familiar? oh yeah, clean up the cows, the cowshed, the lines and the ....... then sell good clean healthy raw milk, no nasties, healthier bodies, no worries mate!

Let the sun shine on my solar panels[:)]

More
11 years 6 months ago #440525 by muri
In the article it said that they were not sure how the child contracted the disease, either thru milk or by touching the lamb

More
11 years 6 months ago #440528 by Althea from Middelmost
I sure wouldn't drink milk from my neighbours Fonterra Vat without pasteurising it ... not because it might contain TB (which it doesn't because TB is no longer an issue) but because I have seen what enters the cups along with the milk! Urrk! However, I am very happy to drink the raw milk I milk from my housecow because I know how clean everything is, how carefully I wash my cow's udder before I milk, how quickly I chill the milk, how safely it is stored and, most importantly, how fresh the milk is (any not consumed within 24 hours goes to the pigs). I am as healthy as my cow and she is pretty bright eyed and bushy tailed. It's all personal preference and I prefer my milk to be clean, raw and safely stored rather than scraped off the cowshed floor, deconstructed, nuked and sterilised to death. But I do understand your concerns, Cowvet, and I always let visitors know the milk is raw and I offer the option of putting condensed milk from a can into their coffee if the real stuff is a bit too much of the country atmosphere for them to handle. :)

More
11 years 6 months ago #440529 by jsmum
I think its a very timely reminder. I have been a bit relaxed about making sure my girls wash their hands after feeding the lambs. Something so simple isn't hard to do. A certain part of the population that survived drinking unpasteurised milk or other risky practices can say they are OK but obviously those that didn't survive, don't have a voice to tell us.
My girls will be washing hands more. Thanks for the reminder

More
11 years 6 months ago #440531 by llvonn
As this thread is discussing the article more I will put my post here as well

The medical officer is quoted as saying 'touching farm animals can be lethal'. Additionally The article stated it came from raw milk then later stated that 'it isn't known whether the disease came from raw milk or from just touching the lamb.'
While the medical officer is quite correct, the way the article is presented leads to scaremongering. How many children in NZ raise pet lambs and calfs? How many get this disease?

When I first saw the article it was the second story on the page.

A little research took me to the food safety website and the report for food borne illnesses in 2010 (report was 2011).
www.foodsafety.govt.nz/elibrary/industry/FBI-report-2011.pdf

VTEC is found around page 99 of the document. In 2010 there were 138 cases reported. Of these there were 13 hospitalisations and no deaths. Children are over-represented in the statistics.

Interesting reading is the chart on exposure to risk factors. Living, visiting a farm or lifestyle block would mean that a person would have daily exposure to risk factors. So would eating raw fruit and vegetables, having contact with household pets, eating meat and consuming dairy products (raw milk was listed separately). In general - everyday life would expose you to the disease.

The article says that feeding the lamb caused the disease - have they tested the milk that was fed, or the lamb? Or was it just that she had done something different (maybe visited a farm) and it was assumed.

1 Border Terrier, 5 hens, 5 chicks, an orchard and vege garden. All on 350 square metres.

More
11 years 6 months ago #440539 by shad297
It is a risk to consume raw dairy products, but then there are risks in everything we do all of the time. We have been consuming raw milk for about two years now but as I know the cow's owners and the product is certified organic and is tested every day I don't have a problem with it.
We all make choices. My kids have been taught from an early age to wash their hands at meal times and after mucking about in the garden and going to the toilet....and hell - they also have never been vaccinated. So far so good!
By the way there are two dairy farms where you can get raw milk from in Ashhurst if anyone wants to get some, it's fantastic - one has been providing to members of the public for years and years.

Husband, two teenagers, Stanley & Jed the greyhounds, one quail (Hawkefrost), one budgie (Chaos) small productive surburban section.

More
11 years 6 months ago #440545 by katieb

shad297;440021 wrote: My kids have been taught from an early age to wash their hands at meal times and after mucking about in the garden and going to the toilet....and hell - they also have never been vaccinated.

I had a lady ask me once if I thought her children should wash their hands after patting my animals as the children had not been vaccinated

My reply was that our pigs are vaccinated against lepto which people can get(which reminds me they are due for a booster) & that I personally would wash my hands after touching animals before eating

I thought it was strange that she had to ask & obviously she didnt know what she hadnt vaccinated her children against

I saw a boy drop a lolly on the ground next to my baby goats then pick it up & eat it today lol

Animals rule our place... cows, calves, sheep, goats, pigs, horses, donkeys, chickens, ducks... the list goes on
...."lifestyle block like" 25 or so acres around the house attached to a rather large farm with dairy drystock & a 600 cow dairy conversion :)....1500 acres to call home

Time to create page: 0.154 seconds