News Article - touching farm animals can be lethal

More
11 years 6 months ago #440673 by muri
Actually touching plants can be very dangerous too.
Doesnt legionaires disease come from potting mix?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 6 months ago #440677 by llvonn

muri;440170 wrote: Actually touching plants can be very dangerous too.
Doesnt legionaires disease come from potting mix?

It's the living microbes in the potting mix, compost etc. The recommendation is to wear gloves and a dust mask. If nothing else, don't inhale when opening the bag.

OSH issues can be over the top. When using a sander the safety requirements were safety goggles, ear muffs, dust mask, dust overcoat and safety shoes. I get the dust mask when using toxic timber like macracarpa, but the overcoat was a bit overkill.

1 Border Terrier, 5 hens, 5 chicks, an orchard and vege garden. All on 350 square metres.

More
11 years 6 months ago #440685 by gaalburn
When you go to the supermarket............ BE AWARE that when you collect that trolly. which other people have used and TOUCHED with "hands" that have wiped noses and what ever, handled the family dog / cat / pony / pet lamb/

Then proceed to the checkout where the assistant then handels EVERY item that EVERY one that has been in the store with a "CROSS CONTAMINATION" potential that could be so all encompasing that the any person could plant a real threat. The repercussions .........well.

Most people actually observe basic hygine ...like washing.

PS. All trollys could be decomtaminated "free" by the supermarket!

'Too much of a good thing may be wonderful.'

More
11 years 6 months ago #440692 by Ruth

gaalburn;440182 wrote: ... "hands" ...

Most people actually observe basic hygine ...like washing....

"hands", not actual hands? :D

If most people actually observed basic hygiene, like washing, half the communicable sickness problems in the community would be solved!

More
11 years 6 months ago #440714 by Iniuk
Wasn't there an item recently claiming that the mobile phone was the most heavily contaminated item? They were far worse than toilet seats, which admittedly I rarely put to my ear. I heard this on Jim Mora's afternoon radio programme so it must be true.

More
11 years 6 months ago #440747 by katieb

Iniuk;440216 wrote: Wasn't there an item recently claiming that the mobile phone was the most heavily contaminated item? They were far worse than toilet seats, which admittedly I rarely put to my ear. I heard this on Jim Mora's afternoon radio programme so it must be true.

handbags are pretty bad apparently

my cell phone is discusting! Im always droping it & picking it up with dirty hands... left a keypad print in one of my calf paddocks after driving the quad & feeder over it this morning lol mud & god knows what else stuck between keys, milk on the screen im amased it survived winter & spring so far

Animals rule our place... cows, calves, sheep, goats, pigs, horses, donkeys, chickens, ducks... the list goes on
...."lifestyle block like" 25 or so acres around the house attached to a rather large farm with dairy drystock & a 600 cow dairy conversion :)....1500 acres to call home

More
11 years 6 months ago #440768 by cowvet
We all know that if we start licking cell phones, shopping trolley handles and handbags then some of us are going to get sick. We recognised the risk so don't do it and encourage our children not to as well. this is the same thing...seeing a risk and recognising it.

I love animals...they're delicious

More
11 years 6 months ago #440788 by stephclark
actually the handbag thing is quite a biggy.. when you think about where that bag gets put down..iikkk..
then, and i wonder how many people do this or know people who do, .. rush in with an harm load of shopping and put the handbag on the table or bench..
since i read an article on what lives ont he bottom of the bag, i have become more aware.. and i am surprised at how many people still drop thier bag on their own or others tables..[:0][xx(]

More
11 years 6 months ago #440794 by muri
I had never thought of all these dangers that are lurking around me continuously in what i thought were relatively safe environements.
I certainly think that handbag thing is a real biggy and would never have thought about where it had been and where it goes.
Luckily over winter i just carry my purse in my pocket and dont use a handbag.
And even more lucky for me is that there is no cell phone reception here so i dont bother with a cell phone
Maybe the lack of cell phone and handbag may add 10 years to my life expectancy??

More
11 years 6 months ago #440838 by Ruth

muri;440302 wrote: ...Maybe the lack of cell phone and handbag may add 10 years to my life expectancy??

Unless you lick someone else's!

More
11 years 6 months ago #440851 by kindajojo
Remember not all bacteria are bad......... in fact without them we would all be dead.

More
11 years 6 months ago #440853 by cowvet
So does that make the potential of pathogenic bacteria any less harmful...or change the risk to a child, pregnant woman or immunocompromised person.

We seem to have a problem that some think that just because it is OK for them and they have never got sick then it is OK for everyone. My hope is that they acknowledge the higher risk to the vulnerable...

So far we now have some progress there is acknowledgement that there is bacteria in milk - if there is good bacteria in milk there is equal opportunity for bad bacteria to be there also and there are cetain sectors of society that are much less able to deal with these.

I am sorry but as a dairy veterinarian i refute the claim that if the dairy is clean, the farmer nice, and the cow looks healthy then their raw milk is ''safe'' for all sectors of society

I love animals...they're delicious

More
11 years 6 months ago #440857 by llvonn

cowvet;440367 wrote: So does that make the potential of pathogenic bacteria any less harmful...or change the risk to a child, pregnant woman or immunocompromised person.

We seem to have a problem that some think that just because it is OK for them and they have never got sick then it is OK for everyone. My hope is that they acknowledge the higher risk to the vulnerable...

I don't think anyone is denying that there is a higher risk for children, pregnant women or those with a compromised immunity.
The issue is the way this situation is being reported and the stance people in authority are taking (that includes both government and media). Whenever the issue of raw milk is raised in the media, with the exception of the recent consultation, it tends to be negative and highly one sided. The focus tends to be on the dangers, but only the dangers of raw milk and not the other ways that the bacteria can be contracted.

In the news article they gave conflicting information. They stated it was from raw milk, then later they weren't sure and it could have been from merely touching the lamb. There are a number of other common ways to contract this particular bacteria (most of which are encountered by most people every day) yet none were mentioned. According to one report another two cases were being investigated in the area. Given that the total amount of cases reported annually is under 200 (not all are hospitalised) there is a very real probability the they could be related and not caused by the lamb or the milk.

Perhaps rather than saying 'you should not drink raw milk', perhaps they should then focus on working with people rather than telling us off like naughty little children. These are the facts, there are dangers involved, make an educated choice.

Not too long ago there were a number of media reports where playcentres were once again beginning to let children experience rough play. The argument being that wrapping them in cotton wool is detrimental to their growth -ie identifying dangers and decision making. This will result in some children getting hurt, but they will learn.

This argument applies as the statement made by the Doctor was 'Touching Farm Animals Can be Lethal" Technically he is correct. However the odds of this happening are extremely slim (unfortunately life is not fair for the one child it happens to) and parents would be doing their children a dis-service by restricting childrens access to animals, be it farm or pet.

In the end, life isn't fair. You can protect your child only so much. Sooner or later they will have to experience the real world and will do better if they have been bought up with a balanced view of risks and dangers.

1 Border Terrier, 5 hens, 5 chicks, an orchard and vege garden. All on 350 square metres.

Time to create page: 0.143 seconds