Magnesium Salt for horse

More
11 years 7 months ago #32983 by DMW999
Hi - can someone give me an idea of how much magnesium and also how much salt to put in horses food? She currently has FibreEzy, Breedanuts, dsp of magnesium and Toxdefy morning and afternoon. Also a lick block available at all times. Full access to as much hay as she likes and just starting to breakfeed a bit of grass (been super wet and muddy here for weeks) I am going to be swapping the Toxdefy for Alleviate in a week or so and probably change the FibreEzy back to oaten chaff. I have read alot of good things about adding salt. Started working her in the round pen (handmade with stakes and tape!) daily. Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 7 months ago #438968 by katieb
Replied by katieb on topic Magnesium Salt for horse
you could get a salt block for her to lick so she can decide how much she needs

also does Mag have a does rate on container or are you using a product for other animals

I would ask a horse vet

I just did a quick google search... the following is from a website....

"
What happens if I feed too much magnesium?
This is the important bit, because now that people are more aware of the importance of magnesium, there is a danger of feeding too much.
At very high levels, a horse can develop diahorrea, although this is rare. More commonly, high magnesium levels will inhibit uptake of calcium and phosphorus. You see, it’s all a question of balance. Applying a "one size fits all" solution to equine nutrition simply doesn’t work."

Animals rule our place... cows, calves, sheep, goats, pigs, horses, donkeys, chickens, ducks... the list goes on
...."lifestyle block like" 25 or so acres around the house attached to a rather large farm with dairy drystock & a 600 cow dairy conversion :)....1500 acres to call home

More
11 years 7 months ago #438969 by katieb
Replied by katieb on topic Magnesium Salt for horse
you could get a salt block for her to lick so she can decide how much she needs

also does Mag have a does rate on container or are you using a product for other animals

I would ask a horse vet

I just did a quick google search... the following is from a website....

"
What happens if I feed too much magnesium?
This is the important bit, because now that people are more aware of the importance of magnesium, there is a danger of feeding too much.
At very high levels, a horse can develop diahorrea, although this is rare. More commonly, high magnesium levels will inhibit uptake of calcium and phosphorus. You see, it’s all a question of balance. Applying a "one size fits all" solution to equine nutrition simply doesn’t work."

its on page 2 of www.jehsolutions.co.uk/healthyhooves/ima...tsheet-Magnesium.pdf theres futher info about sources etc

Animals rule our place... cows, calves, sheep, goats, pigs, horses, donkeys, chickens, ducks... the list goes on
...."lifestyle block like" 25 or so acres around the house attached to a rather large farm with dairy drystock & a 600 cow dairy conversion :)....1500 acres to call home

More
11 years 7 months ago #438974 by oskatd
Replied by oskatd on topic Magnesium Salt for horse
I use Moremag, it costs heaps less and you only need to give it every 10 days or so, and when i feed salt, a heaped teaspoon a day does it.

More
11 years 7 months ago #438980 by wiredkiwi
Replied by wiredkiwi on topic Magnesium Salt for horse
Magnesium is the additive du jour. It should only be fed if a horse needs it, and most are not deficient (about 5% are). Magnesium has *no effect* on behavior unless a horse is deficient in magnesium to start with. If in doubt - get a blood test done.

Don't add salt if your horse already has access to a lick block. She will take as much or as little as she needs from that.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Horses must be magnetic. Have one and others come along to join it.

More
11 years 7 months ago #438983 by kindajojo
Replied by kindajojo on topic Magnesium Salt for horse
www.horsetalk.co.nz/health/magnesium-121.shtml

Personally the horse has a salt lick and I only supplement Mg during staggers season

More
11 years 7 months ago #438985 by terralee
Replied by terralee on topic Magnesium Salt for horse

wiredkiwi;438299 wrote: Magnesium is the additive du jour. It should only be fed if a horse needs it, and most are not deficient (about 5% are). Magnesium has *no effect* on behavior unless a horse is deficient in magnesium to start with. If in doubt - get a blood test done.

Don't add salt if your horse already has access to a lick block. She will take as much or as little as she needs from that.

Sorry disagree[:0]

Magnesium is WONDERFUL horse supp ...my girl gets a heaped teaspoon per day mixed in her feed ..started her because she was a bit EKKKK:eek::eek::eek: at stuff ...did not notice when I was not riding her much (I bred her so know her well[;)]) ...but once I wanted to concentrate on her and get back into actually riding I found she was actually quite uptight ...started her on FLEXWELL pure magnesium ...just a tsp in her feed once a day...and the difference was amazing ...lady I buy it off is a font of knowledge and under her guidence i have it sussed ...you can't over dose as they excrete any excess daily so is safe as anything ..was also told to put salt in her feed to encourage her to drink and rid her of toxins from grass (so now use a toxin binder:rolleyes:)
so Mo gets a teaspoon (increased when needed) of pure mag , a heaped teaspoon toxin binder and 4-5 very heaped tsp of PLAIN salt every day in her dinner :)

The amount you use depends on the quality of the product you use I think[^]

Cheers

Leonie & Zoo!!! :silly: :woohoo:

More
11 years 7 months ago #438993 by DMW999
Replied by DMW999 on topic Magnesium Salt for horse
Thanks everyone - I was advised to give the magnesium as she is a little 'nervy/spooky' so has been having it since I have had her (9mths now). I read a few old posts on here and also have heard alot about the benefits of adding salt to their food. I was also told that I couldn't do any harm to her with the magnesium and it doesn't seem to have (her bm are normal). It was just a plain small bag I purchased from the Farm Centre (on salesperson advice that it was fine for horses) I've had blood tests done (for selinium) and had magnesium level checked and was all good, so it would seem they do excrete any excess. Regarding the Toxdefy, I was advised to use by a lady that works at farm centre and has horses, then change to Alleviate. (originally went to purchase Alleviate)

More
11 years 7 months ago #439005 by Anne
Replied by Anne on topic Magnesium Salt for horse
Alleviate and ToxDefy are two different things, designed to treat two different issues. Read this:
www.horsemanshipnz.com/articles/Alleviat...uestionsAnswered.pdf

Alleviate IS a magnesium supplement - if you give it at the recommended rates, you will meet your horse's needs. As Jenny says in the above article, only feed it until you stop seeing the spooky behaviour and then continue with just the ToxDefy which is a toxin binder, designed to combat things like grass staggers caused by mycotoxins.

Jenny's website is very useful:

www.horsemanshipnz.com/index-2.html

More
11 years 7 months ago #439035 by DMW999
Replied by DMW999 on topic Magnesium Salt for horse
Thanks for those links. Great and interesting reading. I will continue with the ToxDefy and salt, and move from Magnesium to Alleviate for a while and see how that goes.

More
11 years 7 months ago #439089 by caro
Replied by caro on topic Magnesium Salt for horse
Alleviate C is magnesium but also has calcium in it, I think I read on the calm healthy horses web site, Jenny says to use this instead of Alleviate for long term use, and use Alleviate for short term fix or for an extra boost before a stressful situation if needed.

My son has a grass effected pony, and she was getting really grumpy to brush etc, so I penned her and gave her Alleviate for 2 weeks, and the difference was huge. She is now back out in the paddock, so I have also added grazezy and will add toxdefy and change to Alleviate C next payday!

More
11 years 7 months ago #439094 by muri
Replied by muri on topic Magnesium Salt for horse
There are different types of magnesium so you should be aware of which one is best for horses
Cinnamon is being used now for horses with sugar issues and grass to good effect. i know a few people using it on their grass affected horses and have seen a huge improvement.
It is also being used by people with diabetes
Ceylon cinnaman only

More
11 years 7 months ago #439101 by wiredkiwi

terralee;438304 wrote: Sorry disagree[:0]

Magnesium is WONDERFUL horse supp ...my girl gets a heaped teaspoon per day mixed in her feed ..started her because she was a bit EKKKK:eek::eek::eek: at stuff ...did not notice when I was not riding her much (I bred her so know her well[;)]) ...

I guess it depends on science vs experiential use. Your horse may be one of the 5% or so that is deficient, and if so, yes adding magnesium does help smooth behaviour. But so many people are using it now, without realising that yes it actually can cause problems if the horse doesn't need it - esp the unnecessary strain on the kidneys.

Too much or unneeded magnesium isn't usually of itself toxic as it's excreted, but it throws a lot of other things (like Ca/P ratios) out of whack. Horses are very good absorbers of Mg, and it is a readily available element in forage, so it's unusual for a horse to be deficient. I would test if a horse was a fattie and on rationed forage, during periods of grass flush (where digestion may be impaired by diarrhea), and when in doubt generally. Otherwise you're literally making expensive urine, and *possibly* causing other issues.

I'm not saying not to feed magnesium, I'm saying that like any other supplement, medicine and additive, only feed it if the horse needs it. Would you put your kid on Riatlin just 'in case' they had ADHD? No, you'd get them tested first to see if they needed it.

More
11 years 6 months ago #439134 by muri
Replied by muri on topic Magnesium Salt for horse
Wirekiwi, its all very well to test your horse for its magnesium requirements, but these can change daily depending on the grass it is eating and how fast that grass is growing.
When there are flushes in grass growth, then the horses need for magnesium is higher than compared with winter
So it can vary considerably over the year and according to the grass its eating, so testing a horse to see if it needs it would be far too variable.

More
11 years 6 months ago #439181 by wiredkiwi

muri;438463 wrote: Wirekiwi, its all very well to test your horse for its magnesium requirements, but these can change daily depending on the grass it is eating and how fast that grass is growing.
When there are flushes in grass growth, then the horses need for magnesium is higher than compared with winter
So it can vary considerably over the year and according to the grass its eating, so testing a horse to see if it needs it would be far too variable.

Well yeah - that's why I'm said I'd be testing in different circumstances - like during a grass flush or if a horse had to go on a restricted forage diet. Like any trace element, requirements vary all the time according to the individual animal, it's environment and work that's being asked of it, that's why a one size fits all approach to supplements is a disservice to the horse.

Time to create page: 0.143 seconds