Urgent home wanted for NHR rooster!!

More
11 years 7 months ago #32977 by Finn McCool
Hi everyone!

It's been ages since I've been here, hasn't been a good year. :(

I know it's another rooster thread but I have a lovely old boy who I'm hoping to rehome instead of the alternative [xx(] He's 5 1/2 yrs old and has been good to have around, no problems at all.

I've had to sell up and the new owners have decided they don't want him so if anyone out there is willing/able that would be awesome.

He's free of course and I'm in Waimauku/Helensville area :)

Cheers

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 7 months ago #438935 by sundaysbest
What's your timeframe HD???

More
11 years 6 months ago #439613 by Finn McCool
Sorry Sundays, I missed your reply.

I am moving on the 5th Oct (fri) but will be around on the weekend after cleaning up etc so any time between now and then if anyone is keen.

I really don't want to have to kill him or "dump" him on the side of the road like people keep suggesting to me! [:(!] (obviously I won't be)

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

More
11 years 6 months ago #439618 by spoook
Sundays, if you are keen and have not gotten the place for him yet, he could come here temporarily.

There are no bad questions only those that are not asked.
"You are responsible, forever, for what you have tamed"

More
11 years 6 months ago #439646 by Cinsara
Maybe a picture would help Finn? Is he a purebred? Where has he come from breeder wise do you know?

>

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate!

More
11 years 6 months ago #439732 by katieb

Finn McCool;438987 wrote: I really don't want to have to kill him or "dump" him on the side of the road like people keep suggesting to me! [:(!] (obviously I won't be)

I spotted 2 dumped roos at a rest area on SH3 south of Otorohanga this afternoon :(

Animals rule our place... cows, calves, sheep, goats, pigs, horses, donkeys, chickens, ducks... the list goes on
...."lifestyle block like" 25 or so acres around the house attached to a rather large farm with dairy drystock & a 600 cow dairy conversion :)....1500 acres to call home

More
11 years 6 months ago #439778 by Finn McCool
Hi, I'll try and post a pic (just need to figure out how) but I got him in a group of 8 chicks with their mum and 2 turned out to be roosters. The woman I got them from had bought fertile eggs from Precious Poultry (?) by Thames. I still have the hens also (1 has just gone clucky) and I'm trying to find homes for them and all my others but they're alot easier to pass on.

The photo I have is a bit old, he still looks the same except for a couple of white tail feathes.

More
11 years 6 months ago #439788 by Cinsara
I live Mercer way, if he can catch a ride somewhere south I will take him and his sisters (who I realise won't be free). Sorry I can't pick up but I have an irritating fear of travelling too far away from my patch :o

I am completely smitten with NH Reds (thanks Inger :) )

>

More
11 years 6 months ago #439894 by sundaysbest
Thanks Spoooky, but I am going to wait till we are on the land... the hens are causing so much commotion at the mo, a rooster would be overkill!

More
11 years 6 months ago #439899 by Inger
If he has white tail feathers, he shouldn't be bred from. They're a no no, as far as the breed standard goes. He will however, still be an excellent hen minder for the flock.

I can provide fertile eggs, if any of the hens decide to insist on being clucky (doesn't happen often with the New Hampshires). So no worries about having to use this old boy for breeding, for who ever takes them on. When you get an old gentleman like this rooster sounds like, you do tend to get attached to them. :) We had an old RIR rooster like that and thankfully, he was able to go to Maggie's Mum, for his retirement. Harry Potter got one of his sons, when he bought the breeding flock off us.

Glad you like the NHs Cinsara, they are a lovely quiet breed and the roosters are people friendly as well. The fact that they lay really well, is an added bonus. :)

45 hectares between Whangarei and Paparoa. Registered Dexter cattle, Wiltshire sheep - black, white & pied.
New Hampshire Red poultry & Dorking poultry. Pilgrim Geese, Appleyard Ducks.
A cat called Pusscat and still looking for another heading dog.

More
11 years 6 months ago #439918 by Finn McCool
Oh Cinsara if only you were closer!:( Maybe if I can convince the new owners to mind him for a few days then I could bring him down. Between now the 8th I'll be packing and cleaning.

Interesting about the white feathers Inger, does it mean no breeding at all or just no pure bred breeding? I just assumed he got it like we get grey hair. He has had lots of babies here but they've either been sold for the pot or as barnyard specials 'cause I have got quite a mix of hens.

The girls have defintely only started going clucky as they've got older, last year I gave 1 away with her chicks.

More
11 years 6 months ago #439920 by Inger
It's only if you're trying to breed purebreds to the NZ Poultry Standard, Finn. The colour of his feathers has no bearing on his ability to look after his hens (protect from predators) or fertilise eggs. He'll be fine for producing barnyard specials.

I have often sold a New Hampshire rooster to people with Shavers and such like, as the colouring is similar and NHs lay well also. Since true Shaver roosters are as scarce as hen's teeth, it's the next best thing and you get a nice natured rooster as well. (Shaver roosters are white, with a gold splash down their wings) You won't get colour sexed chicks though.

Since the New Hampshires aren't as big as the Sussex or Plymouth Rock roosters, they are fine for putting over medium sized hens.

45 hectares between Whangarei and Paparoa. Registered Dexter cattle, Wiltshire sheep - black, white & pied.
New Hampshire Red poultry & Dorking poultry. Pilgrim Geese, Appleyard Ducks.
A cat called Pusscat and still looking for another heading dog.

More
11 years 6 months ago #440062 by Cinsara

Finn McCool;439327 wrote: Interesting about the white feathers Inger, does it mean no breeding at all or just no pure bred breeding?

White in an otherwise non white area is only a no no for breeding to standard Finn, however I was reading a site that promoted a white tail feather fault in a GLW as a good trait for a pullet thrower. I was takling to a judge at the nationals (can't remember which one now) who said white tail feathers developing in an older bird isn't necessarily a genetic fault and it may be as you say Finn an old age thing or damage to the root of the feather shaft thing.

Edited because I remembered the "root of the feather shaft thing" is the follicle :D

>

More
11 years 6 months ago #440063 by Cinsara

Inger;439304 wrote: I can provide fertile eggs, if any of the hens decide to insist on being clucky (doesn't happen often with the New Hampshires).

One of my 37 week olds has just gone broody :rolleyes: she is one of the more mature birds. The biggest of the eggs so far is 60.8 gms which is quite impressive I think.

I am getting dark brown through to a mushroom coloured eggs and want to breed for the bigger birds while keeping the dark eggs so I'm only going to hatch the darker ones firstly to see how the birds turn out. Hopefully the roosters I have are from darker egg stock :)

>

More
11 years 6 months ago #440179 by Finn McCool
Hi Cinsara, I've been trying to find a way to get him down to you but not having much joy. If you are keen to have him I can try and get the new owners to put up with him for a few days until I've finished moving and then I may be able to do a road trip.

sorry it's taking me so long in between posts, I've been in bed since last Tuesday with some nasty bug that has totally floored me, very bad timing as I'm moving on Friday and I haven't been able to do anything!:(

Time to create page: 0.149 seconds