Adding value to a LSB

More
11 years 8 months ago #435323 by lisaeve
Replied by lisaeve on topic Adding value to a LSB
personally, I'd say #2, but I also see a huge amount of benefit in #3.
I see the attraction of #4 but you probably wouldn't get the return for it.
Helpful, ay?!

PS I second the suggestion of checking out PV prices; panels are really cheap at the moment. Although, if we had the option of hydro, we'd probably do that instead.

17 Ha lifestyle property in Bay of Plenty... 7 Ha covenanted bush, remainder scrub, hills, and flat.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 8 months ago #435338 by kindajojo
Replied by kindajojo on topic Adding value to a LSB
Are you planning to harvest the trees in which case is there access for heavy trucks etc...milling equipment......the cost/benefit of the trees may be eaten up by putting is access.
What are you going to do with the land afterward..replant/turn into grazing $$$$$
Yards and fencing are good but again if you are selling drop the price rather than spending the $$.
Trees and planing can be done relatively cheaply, plantin poplars and willows down the picturesque stream.
Best added value is to have the place tidy...fix fences, rails, clean troughs with good access, clean paddocks, burn rubbish piles, get rid of fallen trees , dead branches dumped cars/vehicles etc

More
11 years 8 months ago #435339 by terralee
Replied by terralee on topic Adding value to a LSB
Have to agree with everyone who ticked #3 :)
Cheers

Leonie & Zoo!!! :silly: :woohoo:

More
11 years 8 months ago #435342 by Aria
Replied by Aria on topic Adding value to a LSB

kindajojo;434087 wrote: Are you planning to harvest the trees in which case is there access for heavy trucks etc...milling equipment......the cost/benefit of the trees may be eaten up by putting is access.
What are you going to do with the land afterward..replant/turn into grazing $$$$$
Yards and fencing are good but again if you are selling drop the price rather than spending the $$.
Trees and planing can be done relatively cheaply, plantin poplars and willows down the picturesque stream.
Best added value is to have the place tidy...fix fences, rails, clean troughs with good access, clean paddocks, burn rubbish piles, get rid of fallen trees , dead branches dumped cars/vehicles etc

Thanks, great advice re general tidying to working order - as OH had to do all of that on moving in - including lots and lots of gorse clearance (needed to get access to many of the fencelines to repair them!), re-hooked up the trough supply, got CoC on power supply to the barn/shearing shed, and re-sided the potting shed/tunnel house.

Yes, forest block was developed with proper tracks. We have a consultant valuing the trees presently. He suggests first opportunity for good return on harvest is another 5 years but unlikely we'll be here for it. Are registering it for ETS and leaving the credits on account just in case next owner doesn't want to harvest (and the market for cc's improves).

The stream banks/gully is covered in natives - with a few flat grassy areas during summertime.. so nothing we need to do there.

Drop the price rather than spend the dollars is a concept the OH doesn't do - as I said, he's a serial renovator/value adder .. and that's my main worry .. this size property could keep him busy (and us broke) for years [8D] .. so I keep him on a very tight budget but recognise that I must [drip] feed his obsession [8D][8D][8D][8D]!

More
11 years 8 months ago #435347 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic Adding value to a LSB
I'd go for good quality yards first, followed by the garden and orchard.
Since the trees are a while off harvest, is it worth putting riding tracks through the trees for the horsey set?

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
11 years 8 months ago #435349 by Jen - Featherston
I'd split the money create yards and fence the house off :)

Personally if I was buying a property somewhere for my dogs and deal with stock is essential :)

Sometimes its not only what you say, its the way you say it that counts.

More
11 years 8 months ago #435360 by muri
Replied by muri on topic Adding value to a LSB
I didnt realise you were planning to sell so soon
I think wiredkiwis idea on not spending a lot of money is a good one and use it for your next project
I see sellers doing so much to their property as they thing it will be worth more, the buyer comes along and undos all their work
Spend what it takes to give it appeal so that people are given a really good strong impression
buying a LSB is always a compromise somewhere and you wont ever have everything that you want or think you need when you buy. If people love it, they are not going to say no it has no yards.
First impressions are often lasting impressions and quite important

More
11 years 8 months ago #435363 by Belle Bosse
Replied by Belle Bosse on topic Adding value to a LSB
I'd go with #4 as top priority, but focus on getting the boundary fences up to scratch, in the right position and the gates in working order.

Don't worry about spending more of your money after that if you're selling. The next person will have their own ideas of what they want to do with developing the property. Purchasing a junk free property is wonderful.

But correctly aligned boundary fencing saves the next person and their adjoining neighbour a headache or two and a surveyor's visit...

More
11 years 8 months ago #435364 by DiDi
Replied by DiDi on topic Adding value to a LSB
My advise would be to spend a minimum amount of money on presentation i.e. fenced off home site (people can visualise their own orchard etc) and I think you said you have a barn etc so very little would be my advise. You will not get the money back on what you spend I promise you. At the end of the day you have nine acres of grazing land. 60 acres of forest would be a massive deterrant to many I am guessing as it will only be worth what the market wants in 5 years time. It is a gamble (and I hate Pines with a passion!) so make the property open to the sun, visualise sitting out on the deck sipping a G & T and figure who would want to be there with you. A buyer?

IF your other half wants to burn through money, then make sure you have yards for different species of animals that a new buyer may want to run , easy access to shelter for the animals and easy access for you too. Just guessing as I know what I would want so thus the reply and not from JAFFA re G & T. It is about relaxing and enjoying your property - not being a slave to it. All the best!

More
11 years 8 months ago #435371 by Aria
Replied by Aria on topic Adding value to a LSB

DiDi;434113 wrote: My advise would be to spend a minimum amount of money on presentation i.e. fenced off home site (people can visualise their own orchard etc) and I think you said you have a barn etc so very little would be my advise. You will not get the money back on what you spend I promise you. At the end of the day you have nine acres of grazing land. 60 acres of forest would be a massive deterrant to many I am guessing as it will only be worth what the market wants in 5 years time. It is a gamble (and I hate Pines with a passion!) so make the property open to the sun, visualise sitting out on the deck sipping a G & T and figure who would want to be there with you. A buyer?

IF your other half wants to burn through money, then make sure you have yards for different species of animals that a new buyer may want to run , easy access to shelter for the animals and easy access for you too. Just guessing as I know what I would want so thus the reply and not from JAFFA re G & T. It is about relaxing and enjoying your property - not being a slave to it. All the best!

I can so relate to the deck and the G&T lifestyle - as that's exactly why we bought it .. the view is amazing and we did the house renovations to maximise on that indoor/outdoor aspect. We have become quite attached to the other benefits of rural life however - in particular the massive space and privacy - such a very calm home environment compared to town living.

I noticed lots of folks on here are not keen on pines! Funny as we had North American visitors here last year who thought the pine forest was the most beautiful part of the property .. they love their conifers!!! Our block is great for dog walkers and horse riders too as easy sloping contour. That said though, a guy who grew up on this farmland before it was subdivided into lifestyle blocks said the now pine blocks were their most productive grazing paddocks - and that does seem a shame. Suspect that happened in a lot of areas of NZ when the shine went off sheep farming.

Time to create page: 0.145 seconds